Do ladder test results tend to xfer to different bullets of same weight?

• Thread starter Miller Outdoors
  • Start date
M

Miller Outdoors

I'm wondering if ladder test results tend to transfer to different brand bullets in the same weight. For instance - I do a ladder test on my 6.5x55 with 140gr sierra gamekings. If I perform the same test with identical powder/OAL, etc. with 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD's will the results tend to be similar showing the same or similar accuracy nodes? Or is that unlikely?

Also, would 130gr gamekings tend to show a similar ladder test result to the 140 gamekings, or is that unlikely?

Incidentally, I'm using Lapua brass CCI large rifle primers and RL22 powder .02 off lands, loading the ladders starting at the manual's suggested starting grains and adding .2gr with each step, to two steps past the manual's "never exceed". Of course I'll watch for pressure signs as I go. Do some guns/loads not show pressure signs well past the manual's published "never exceed"? Is it reasonable to keep going with the ladder so long as I don't see excess pressure or should I just stop at "never exceed"?

Thanks! :)

In my exerience , NO. I believe the reason is due to different bearing surfaces and length for each bullet. You have to do a test for each bullet.

I did not answer the "never exceed" question. Some rifles do not show pressure signs at the same load ,showing pressure in a different rifle. There are many reasons. Mostly due to different chambers, throats. bore , and rifling style. Be careful working with loads that are at or exceed recommended max. Little changes in the temperature of the ammo can cause big changes in the safe performance.

I have always had to do ladder tests for the same weight of bullet of a different brand or even style. One example is the 200 SMK versus the 200 SGK. Charge for charge, the velocity was the same. Accuracy was a different story. I have no idea why as the look identical except one has a hollw point and the other has a soft lead nose.

On the flip side, when I was switching from the 225 ACCUBOND to the 225 SST. Same charge weight, same accuracy however, the SST's are about 52 FPS slower than the ACCUBONDS. Because the accuracy is the same (very good at .4 MOA), I didnt bother trying to match the velocities by changing charge weights.

Different ogives (land contact), bearing surface, metal alloys, jacket thicknesses, specifec gravities, stability factors etc.......are most likely the cause of these changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.