Do I need to open up Lapua flash holes?

tlk

Had a local benchrester tell me that I was doing wrong by opening up the flash holes in new Lapua brass because there was research done by them and the hole diamater is optimal and that my work with a flash hole uniformer would only worsen the perfromance, not make it better. Is this true? Is there any tangible evidence of this claim?

OK, so maybe I worded it wrong. Should I use my Lyman uniformer on the flash holes?

Why not? Try it on a few brass if it dosn't work for them. It dosen't mean it wont work for you. And that is what reloading is all about. EXPERIMENT!!!!:D

There's alot of uniformers that have been sold so either they're collecting dust or a bunch of folks have been using them. Go for it and let us know how it works for you compared to brass you didn't use it on.

Having been there and done that with the bloody tee shirt hanging in the closet, I will say leave Lapua flash holes alone. I have tried it all and come to the conclusion Lapua knows what it is doing.

They really are optimum size for the brass they are in for consistent ignition and low ES and SD.

Just check and make sure that they all are open. Sometimes one will slip thru.

BH

RWS, Norma, and Lapua have smaller flash holes than the cheaper brass or American brass. Unless you believe first of all that you are better with a metal gouger than the people who built the brass then leave it alone and second of all if you do not need the extra ignition leave it alone. You might take a look at the US Palma team which is sponsored by Lapua and Norma and they asked Lapua to build 308 brass with small primer pockets so they would get less ignition. I bet they aren't gouging the flash holes with sharp tools. :D

Been down the road of do a few and not do a few and that will give you variable ignition for certain.

i have found lapua brass to be the best you can buy here in the uk although i tried some nosler custom brass the other day and it was excellent, i would say leave it alone there is so much you can do before you need to start with those kind of tiny improvements?

Had a local benchrester tell me that I was doing wrong by opening up the flash holes in new Lapua brass because there was research done by them and the hole diamater is optimal and that my work with a flash hole uniformer would only worsen the perfromance, not make it better. Is this true? Is there any tangible evidence of this claim?

One of the first things Speedy taught me was that only Idiots screw with Lapua flash holes! Sorry not calling you an Idiot but that is honest to God what he said lol.. When I am forced to use Remington Brass (8mm mag as a base) it takes a LOT of Work to make it perfect!!

I'd add a comment here, but it looks like you guys have already pretty well answered everything I might have addressed! Thanks!:D

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Thanks guys. This brings up another question then: should I use the uniformer on ANY brass to open up the flash holes? I have never put this thing to a case that it didn't open the hole up a bit.

If the answer is no, why was this tool made other than to remove the burr inside the case? Rem and WW definitely have burrs, no doubt about that. Is there a flash-hole philosophy or methodology that I am unaware of that requires the flash-holes to be opened?

Thanks for the help with this question.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts