Do I need to open up Lapua flash holes?

Thanks guys. This brings up another question then: should I use the uniformer on ANY brass to open up the flash holes? I have never put this thing to a case that it didn't open the hole up a bit.

If the answer is no, why was this tool made other than to remove the burr inside the case? Rem and WW definitely have burrs, no doubt about that. Is there a flash-hole philosophy or methodology that I am unaware of that requires the flash-holes to be opened?

Thanks for the help with this question.

Maybe I can shed some light on this subject.

First= On Quality brass it is not nessary and if you open the hole up larger It will hurt accuracy
and SDs. Most bench rest cartriges use the small rifle primers with small flash holes to get a
hi velocity jet effect that burns the powder more consistently.

And to answer your question on why they even make a tool for this purpose, Flash holes are
made in the brass several ways,The quality brass is normally drilled and the less quality brass
is punched. The punched flash holes will some times have a finger nail of brass on the inside
that should be removed and if you use the uniformer you should use the smallest size that will
fit the largest of the holes(They will vary so only remove what is nessary to make them the
same). "Uniform".

It is like anything else in reloading "Less is normally better".

J E CUSTOM

Lapua and Norma brass flash holes are drilled and not punched. They should be uniform from the get go.

Not sure who makes Nosler brass. I've heard Norma and Federal. My guess is Norma. Good stuff at 50cents per.

"If the answer is no, why was this tool made other than to remove the burr inside the case?"

It's market driven, not manufactor driven You bought one, didn't you? So did I. That's two. Doesn't matter if they're helpful or not, they sell, therefore they are provided. :D

Boomtube, that's my thought as well, but heck I not sure we really know whether Lapua drills, punches or mandrels the hole so I sent an email to Lapua asking but I'm not to hopeful they will respond as their site says they don't respond to questions but, maybe I'll get lucky. If I do hear back I'll share their response.

Years ago, I decided to uniform flash holes on 6PPC Lapua brass. Bought the tool, opened them from .059" to .062". Accuracy did not improve, in fact was a little worse. I now shoot Lapua brass exclusively in four calibers and don't weigh it, don't touch flash holes inside or out. Just trim, champfer and expand necks before turning. Forget the "feel good" stuff.

Gene, your probably right w/Lapua brass. I guess the best thing one can do to put the issue to bed for themselves would be to shoot some deburred and some not and let the results speak for themselves. Thanks for your input, heck I'm all for one less step.

Are we sure they're drilled as I came across the link below albeit a couple of years ago but, talks about a mandrel see post #7. Maybe they drill them now???

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/de-burr-lapua-flash-hole-21283/

Chas,
This one we can take care of; Lapua flash holes are punched, not drilled. They have been for nearly ten years now. Good results can be had with either process, as long as it's done correctly. Otherwise, you can have problems with either method. In our case (no pun intended) we found that a properly supported punch gave better results than drilling, which had a tendency to produce eccentric flash holes. This occured when the drill walked or wandered slightly during the process, leaving a slightly eccentric (oval) flash hole.

Flash hole size has already been discussed, and the smaller size we use has shown consistently improved accuracy in almost all cases. Obviously, we don't recommend enlarging them, as we would expect to see a resultant loss of accuracy potential. Deburring . . . if you want to, and use a tool that doesn't open up the case's flash hole, knock yourself out. I've done it, and frankly, I'm sure it amounts to a good many hours of my life that I'll never get back. Never saw that it made much difference, but was more a matter of adjusting headspace. That is, the space between my own ears and the satisfaction of knowing I'd done something extra. I'm just as susceptable as anyone to buying tools or gadgets because they're sharp and shiney, and I don't have that one. And I've got the reloading bench and cluttered drawers to prove it. I've seen some seriously bad cases over the years, and in some of these the deburring might have been worthwhile. However, if you're using cases that are that bad to begin with, you probably aren't shooting for extreme accuracy anyway. In cases where quality brass is being used to begin with, it's most likely a waste of time. Benchrest shooters may argue this, but then again they do any number of things that are completely pointless for most other shooting disciplines, including many other highly demanding competitive disciplines.

Bottom line here;
One, do it if you want to, but take pains not to enlarge the flash holes, and two, don't expect to see any noticable increase in accuracy when you're done. If it makes you feel better and adjusts your headspace a bit, that's enough. That, and it IS and excuse to buy another tool!:D

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Thanks Kevin for responding and clearing up what method Lapua uses to make the hole. I also appreciate your insight on medling with the flash holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.