Do I need to bed this setup?

PRCLITE

I am building a lighter weight rifle (9lbs) and I have everything ordered. I went with an impact SA titanium action and the Hawkins Hunter DBM M5 bottom metal. From my understanding the bottom metal comes with pillars and I was under the assumption I wouldn't have to bed anything with the pillars. I spoke to Manners this morning to order my EH1 and they are saying that without the mini chassis option I will have to bed the action and all. Is this correct?

LRI can certainly handle it but you might not like the price.

I don't mind paying for perfection. I've bedded a few recoil lugs and scope bases, but I'm nowhere good enough to get the level of what I want. Maybe they have a locals discount lol

I was doing the math on my last build and I don't believe the mini chassis (without a magazine) is more than a few ounces heavier than doing separate bottom metal and stock. If that saves time, effort, and money in the long run it might be worth those few ounces for the convenience. My EH1 has the mini chassis and I don't regret it, but personally I hate bedding stocks and the fact that it kills resale value.

I'm actually confused on what it is I should be doing. This is the first build I'm doing myself with a "custom action". I was told on here that you shouldn't do a mini chassis with M5 bottom metal, it's either one or the other. That being said, I know Manners has a new M5 mini chassis so it doesn't make sense to me. My last four EH1's had a mini chassis and the little extra weight never bothered me. How much extra can it weigh if your removing stock material to insert the mini chassis?

I'm actually confused on what it is I should be doing. This is the first build I'm doing myself with a "custom action". I was told on here that you shouldn't do a mini chassis with M5 bottom metal, it's either one or the other. That being said, I know Manners has a new M5 mini chassis so it doesn't make sense to me. My last four EH1's had a mini chassis and the little extra weight never bothered me. How much extra can it weigh if your removing stock material to insert the mini chassis?

Should pretty much be the same with a custom action as it is with a factory action. Manners makes different versions of the mini chassis depending on your application. All of them create a solid point within the stock for you to attach your action to. They have DBM versions which take the place of your bottom metal as well, and they have BDL and M5 versions which don't replace your bottom metal and allows/require you to supply your own.

When I was referring to mine, I have the once with the DBM so I didn't need separate bottom metal, I think this is the most common one because of its popularity with PRS. The different versions should all be well described on their website.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and clarify. I just ordered today so I should have time to make a change or two since the wait time is over 8 months at this point. I also ordered an AG Composites alpine hunter so I can get the barrel break-in done before the manners gets here. I'm keeping my eyes out for one in the classifieds to hopefully cut some wait times. I've also got the Manners LRH on order that should be here within the next few months.

Front Range Precision, RedVanes and ElkHunter338 all post Manners/AG stocks for sale here that are equipped nicely. I've done business with all 3 and they are all solid and typically will save you a little money.

To specifically answer your question, I agree with the guys above…If you don't have the chassis, you need to have it bedded.

There is a weight difference and the chassis is more, bedding compound (MarineTex) doesn't weigh much (I cannot give you an exact number of ounces difference though). Plus, then you can control which bottom metal you want. Good luck!