Do I need a chronograph?

Yes, you need a Chronograph. Save your money and buy a LabRadar. You want be sorry. Magnetos are nice but they do effect the harmonics of the barrel. Physics 101. If that wasn't the case, I would have a bayonet strapped to my barrel.
I have used mine to chrono Pistols, Rifles, Bows, and Crossbows. It works great. At fist, there was a big learning curve with the Labradar. I'm OCD, and it took a minute, but I have it figured out now, and all is well.
There's and old Reloader saying: You pay for your education in reloading by the tools you buy, sell, trade, given, modified, invented and flat out screwed up. The only pluses are the people that mentor you, put up with your crap, the journey and putting that bullet on target. I have had good luck with a Coldwell for a many a year. Today, I would say that data is questionable. Just make sure you keep fresh 9 volt batteries on hand. After and hour of use the data will be questionable. Also, 9volt batteries are not cheap.

For short range under 600yds you don't need one.
Find a used bolt action 22rf and put a full sized scope on it and practice your offhand , sitting and prone positions.
Zero on the bench then stay away from it!
Steve Bair

I am generally shoot belted mag. Most of my powder start at 70gr+ to start with. Using a reloading manual I will start with their lowest powder load and go up at .5gr load increase per round watching for high pressure signs. Once high pressure signs show up, I stop there. I also watch where the bullets are being placed on the target. Noting hit placements looking for the rifle flat spot. Then work around that for grouping. At that time I am using my chronograph checking on velocity. At that time working COAL. I generally looking for 3200 to 3300 fps velocity from those rounds. It's not necessary you have to shot at those velocity. There lots of rifles don't develop that velocity. I do agree that the highest velocity doesn't generally create the best groups. I use 264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Norma Mag, and a 338 Win Mag and a few others. Bullets types that allow for that type of velocity. I don't have to rethink about my bullet path, because they are all running about the same. The other is I hold my shots to 500yds or less. I generally use a 2 x 8 Leupold scope on my rifles. So I do believe chronograph as a needed equipment.

I use one all the time in load development. Not a magnetospeed though. I also use mine for archery stuff so I don't think that one would work. A few of my friends borrow it from time to time. Maybe you can get a few other guys to pitch in on it.

When you use the Magneto speed on a bow you have to reset the program for the arrow. I have used mine on a bow, crossbow, shotgun, rifle (Rimfire, centerfire and muzzleloader) also on all of my revolvers and bolt action pistols the only thing It wont work on is Semi Auto pistols or a spear. :)

I have not had a problem with keeping the bayonet tight ether. one good thing if it does rotate or move forward or backward the reading stays the same because of the spacing of the magnets remains the same.

Someone else brought up the ease of setting up a sky screen type of chronograph and I agree, the problem I sometimes have is having to shut down the range when 15 or 20 people are shooting, so I always carry my Magneto Speed because I can set it up without getting in front of the firing line And having to shut down everybody.

J E CUSTOM

So I am a new Reloader. Started in January. Feel pretty confident in my process and have been seeing great results.

I love shooting tiny little groups! I do not currently shoot long long range, I am wanting to develop loads that are as small and consistent as I can. I only really have availability to a 100 yard range, which sucks.

So, my question is do I purchase a Magnetospeed Sporter for Data and to check load consistency or not? Will it save on components?

Pros, cons and opinions?

Thanks everyone for always being helpful!

Steve
Chronos are critical to shooting small groups due to need for consistency....small ES, SD. Ease of use will ensure you use it. Sky screens or MacGyver jury rigging will entice you to not use a chrono after purchase. Save up a little more or go partners with a group of friends and get the best...a Labradar, Don't be penny wise; performance foolish. Buy once; cry once; be happy ever after.

I have one rifle that I can change any component I want, or all of them, brass, Powder, bullet (as long as it's the same weight), primer whatever. As long as I can get the bullet moving 2900FPS it shoots great. I am not experienced enough to know if this magic translates across a big variety of barrels and I suspect this is all related to harmonics. The chronograph has probably saved me money in the long run with that one. Great tool. I used to be too cheap to own one and would do the math backwards shooting at distance and then calculating MV based on the BC and how much drop I was seeing. That worked too I guess but I wish I bought the chrono earlier in my reloading.

Now that I have one, I don't use it as much as I used to, but the information I get from it very valuable.

Picture is last Saturday's final load confirmation for a new load on my bone stock Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmoor (who would have thought 7828 would be usable). 10 shots at 400 yds and about 800-900 rounds through the gun so far. Never owned a chrono, targets tell me what I need to know including muzzle velocity when I shoot groups at 100, 200 and 400 yards and measure the drop. Basically 1/2 MOA (10-shot!) group says chronos are great but definitely not required for finding a good load.

Will I buy one some day? Probably, when I save up enough for a Lab Radar. Will it be useful and probably save me some time and/or components? Maybe. Will I be planning on shooting PRS matches before I get one? You're darn right.

B3EADBC4-0CC7-4990-9DB9-26FBC7D1A507.jpeg

Hi Steve:

I have used them twice and did not find much benefit from them, except getting SD and ED, which was sometimes good but the group was not.

My process is the same as @GLTaylor , except I use ballistics apps to determine the muzzle velocity of my loads.

The times I used chronos I got the same info I did with the apps as far as velocities, so really no need for them.

Using this method has worked for me out to 700 yds so far, haven't tried it further yet.

Stay safe bud
Just curious here.
How can a ballistics app account for a fast or slow bbl and how can it account for the changing of a primer. Primers can also influence fps in any giving load.
If the app is that good, I'm throwing out my chronograph. It's a PITA

Just curious here.
How can a ballistics app account for a fast or slow bbl and how can it account for the changing of a primer. Primers can also influence fps in any giving load.
If the app is that good, I'm throwing out my chronograph. It's a PITA

I have done this, went from GM210M to WLR and my rifle did not like WLR, groups opened up.

However any changes in brass or primers will change how a given load performs, pressure changes therefore velocity will too.

In a cases where you change primers you'd have to test your load again for both pressure and groups. After than then I would take the load put to 200, 300 and so on and detremine velocity that way. Kind of reverse engineering I guess.

Stay safe

A chrono will provide you with more useful information for load development. I highly recommend it.
So I am a new Reloader. Started in January. Feel pretty confident in my process and have been seeing great results.

I love shooting tiny little groups! I do not currently shoot long long range, I am wanting to develop loads that are as small and consistent as I can. I only really have availability to a 100 yard range, which sucks.

So, my question is do I purchase a Magnetospeed Sporter for Data and to check load consistency or not? Will it save on components?

Pros, cons and opinions?

Thanks everyone for always being helpful!

Steve

I only use a crono when I want to write a dope card for my rifle for hunting.When I am loading in uncharted territory(cases I have no load data for} I always use a chrono to get an idea of the pressures in the case.After reloading for 55 years ,I have eliminated anything I believe to be nonessential.

Picture is last Saturday's final load confirmation for a new load on my bone stock Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmoor (who would have thought 7828 would be usable). 10 shots at 400 yds and about 800-900 rounds through the gun so far. Never owned a chrono, targets tell me what I need to know including muzzle velocity when I shoot groups at 100, 200 and 400 yards and measure the drop. Basically 1/2 MOA (10-shot!) group says chronos are great but definitely not required for finding a good load.

Will I buy one some day? Probably, when I save up enough for a Lab Radar. Will it be useful and probably save me some time and/or components? Maybe. Will I be planning on shooting PRS matches before I get one? You're darn right.

View attachment 219909

Yes, I remember the days before we bought our first chrono. Working off printed load data from the manufacturers to start a safe load for my rifle.. it's funny, my rifles never matched the rifle that they were using. It seems that the majority of rifles used in printed loads from the manufacturer was 24" barrels. I don't own anything in 24". So game on. That ment a lot of bullets sent down range to find that sweet spot.
With the use of a chronograph, time, money,
Components, and piece of mind, let's not forget the data collected off each shot
Are priceless for future load development.
Nice work sir on your load development.
Like I said it reminded of the days before we bought our first Caldwell chrono. Today, I use a Labrador and highly recommend
Them. Nice work sir.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.