Do I need a chronograph?

As some have written, shooting only the shorter ranges, it's not an absolute need………… but knowing what velocity your reloads are producing is an important factor at whatever range . Then the price may raise and you will kick yourself for not buying one sooner.

For a simple analogy think of it like a tachometer in your car. Its good information to have while developing loads. Like drag racer on the track. Is it much help going to buy groceries, not much. And it has a safety device built in, if it goes boom and you don't get a speed reading, well you may have stuck bullet. This happened to me with a 357 pistol, saved me a bunch of misery.

As many others have said here not absolutely necessary, but very very helpful in the process and getting the most from your effort. Peace of mind knowing you are at safe levels if you begin to push the pressure/velocity limits and removes many doubts. Consistency also important the longer the range. I use mine for every new load.

Short answer..YES. One very big reason if you shoot a bullet that doesn't have a published powder load, you can work up the load in conjunction with a chronograph for establishing ES, SD, velocity for drops and yes it will help signal when you can expect pressure to start showing up even for shorter ranges the OP is interested in mostly. A chronograph will also provide instant feedback on your reloading attention to detail for all aspects of reloading. My accuracy improved immensely when I first got a chronograph many years ago and saw how inconsistent my loads were for ES, SD and velocity. It makes you reassess your own reloading steps to identify areas of improvement. It can also tell you if something is amiss in your reloading process if your accuracy drops off along with your performance consistency. Gives you that independent over the shoulder look at your own process.

I did just fine without one for over 30 years. The load data book got me close enough to get on the paper and I never took a shot more than 600 yds at game even though I had a place to target shoot and sight in up to 900 meters. The older I get, the closer to the truck I like-em to fall and if I could lure them into the truck, I probably would😂
That said I got decided I needed a chrono and bought a sky screen type. What a hassle couldn't trust it and the wind always blew it over. Never shot it but always worried I would. Then I got into PRS 8 or 9 yrs ago and I bought a Caldwell sky screen which was just as wonky as the ones I used 20 years earlier. I sold it at the club range and bought a sportster. Loved it but it didn't last, it died 2 maybe 3 years later. If you decide to buy one, step up to the v3 it's more robust and worth the cost.

Lemme see ---- I spend $1000 for a rifle, $800 for a scope, $500 for a reloading setup, $100s for components but I'm too cheap to buy a $200 chrongraph Yeah who needs it, I'll just trust the data from some book.

The initial question was silly, some of responses equally so. I'm starting to think that no matter what is obvious to any experienced reloader, there will always be someone to take the opposite view.

The next question should be: "I boresighted my rifle, will it be dead on at 500 yards ?"

OR:

"I sighted in my 30-06 with this scope, will it still be on when if I move it to my 220 Swift ?"

I'm another proponent for getting a chronograph if you reload. I reloaded for years without one but my reloading abilities moved up a level after getting one. The additional data it provided helped me greatly in understanding better what was going on as I changed a variable or external variables changed on me. In the interest of not trying to repeat a lot of what has been said previously in the thread in favor of a chronograph, here are a couple of other examples of where it has helped me:

When I am breaking in a new rifle, the barrel usually speeds up. As it does, I may find that the accuracy drops off or the pressure increases beyond what I am comfortable with. The same thing might occur when shooting a temperature sensitive powder in warmer weather than I did the load development. The chron tells the story.

Some of my rifles shoot significantly better below the max load. Knowing what velocity seems to be the sweet spot for the barrel/ bullet harmonics helps me greatly when I want/ need to change powders. (e.g., H1000 to RL26)

Need...NO!....nice to have YES!.......I never let chronograph numbers determine my loads based solely on ES and SD.

Anyone who hangs a weight on their muzzle and thinks it doesn't change anything is incorrect. . It may not change your point of impact all the time but it most definitely is changing your tune. The whole idea of using the chrono is to help with your tune up and get a final speed for your ballistic app. I shoot long range comp and have heavy varmint barrels on all my light guns. I use Ezell tuners on them. They have 32 positions per revolution. I can tell you 100% just moving the tuner 3 to 4 numbers will take my load 180 out of tune. That is very little weight shift on the end of the barrel. If I had to use a magneto speed I would only use it for velocities and would remove it for group shooting. It takes literally a minute to set up my 35p on a tripod. I've been using the same one for over 30yrs. So if you want to shoot groups and get velocity go fo one that doesn't go on your barrel or look for the stock adapter for the magneto speed. Just remember tuning involves the barrels harmonics. Adding any weight to your barrels end makes your barrels harmonic movement longer and slower and when you remove it your harmonics will speed up and be tighter. Two completely different tunes.
Shep

I use QuickLoad software and for that a chrono is essential even for pistol loads. The chrono lets me tune the burn rate in QL so I can accurately determine chamber pressure. I also look for velocity nodes since I seldom have extreme range ladders for load development. The extreme and crude things I went through as a kid to determine velocity (penetration in wood, spinning disks etc.) makes it impossible for me personally to ignore the many cheap and accurate chronographs available now. The chronograph accelerates my learning curve and satisfies my curiosity.
All of that being said, I also enjoy my rimfire guns because of the reduced variables to think about while I just enjoy "shooting".

If you just need to use it once or twice, maybe ask to borrow one to get numbers for a preferred load?

I know at my shooting range, if you want to shoot Mid-to-Long Range, you have to qualify and that process requires you to share your loading information along with chronograph readings (SD, Avg, etc.) and shoot a 5-shot group within 1-MOA at 100-yards. Having a chronograph helps tremendously to know the Avg speed of your loads so you can put together good drop-charts for various distances vs 'spray and prey'. I can also help determine if your scope's elevation and reticles are tracking properly as you make adjustments. At the end of the day, everything is a system...the loads you use, seating depth, rifle setup, etc...has to go hand-in-hand to get consistent results.

So I am a new Reloader. Started in January. Feel pretty confident in my process and have been seeing great results.

I love shooting tiny little groups! I do not currently shoot long long range, I am wanting to develop loads that are as small and consistent as I can. I only really have availability to a 100 yard range, which sucks.

So, my question is do I purchase a Magnetospeed Sporter for Data and to check load consistency or not? Will it save on components?

Pros, cons and opinions?

Thanks everyone for always being helpful!

Steve
For what they cost yes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.