Do I need a chronograph?

I have one I bought used a few(15) years ago, I use it for comparative purposes but don't rely on it for absolute values since it's not calibrated. I don't think any of them are to be honest, aside from the really high end ones. And mine has a 22 cal hole through the front metal above the lightscreen made by the previous owner. I use it with archery equipment and for initial load development.

Really though you have a loading manual and those guys have done the velocity measurements and testing. Adjust for your barrel length and you should be pretty close, at least close enough for what you're doing right now. They are kind of a pain to set up and get lined up unless you use a Magnetospeed.

A chrono will tell you exactly how false those readings are for most barrels.

Picture is last Saturday's final load confirmation for a new load on my bone stock Ruger Precision 6mm Creedmoor (who would have thought 7828 would be usable). 10 shots at 400 yds and about 800-900 rounds through the gun so far. Never owned a chrono, targets tell me what I need to know including muzzle velocity when I shoot groups at 100, 200 and 400 yards and measure the drop. Basically 1/2 MOA (10-shot!) group says chronos are great but definitely not required for finding a good load.

Will I buy one some day? Probably, when I save up enough for a Lab Radar. Will it be useful and probably save me some time and/or components? Maybe. Will I be planning on shooting PRS matches before I get one? You're darn right.

View attachment 219909

If you are happy with that grouping then great (I'm not saying it's bad). But without a chrony you have no way of knowing if you could tighten it up by decreasing velocity SDs.

Still a chronographs goes a long ways in knowing what going on. After I got my first one in late 90's I wouldn't be without one. Weather I am shooting 100yds, to 500 yards. A more accurate ideal as to what that bullet is doing in it's flight down range. Other than that it's it's guessing and bi-jolly I feel.

Still a chronographs goes a long ways in knowing what going on. After I got my first one in late 90's I wouldn't be without one. Weather I am shooting 100yds, to 500 yards. A more accurate ideal as to what that bullet is doing in it's flight down range. Other than that it's it's guessing and bi-jolly I feel.
I agree for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts