Do I need a 17HMR for badger and rabbits?

Do you reload? If so, try putting together Your choice of light varmint bullet over some trail boss in the .223 and see where poa is for you. Hopefully it's just elevation to worry about, and you can figure for that. Throw a match saver on the side for full power .223 loads for song dogs and badgers, and shoot the lighter loads for bunnies and squirrels.

I just don't want to carry more than the two rifles I'm already carrying through the field for small game hunting(.22lr for squirrel rabbits badgers and .223 for coyotes) I've read a lot about the 17 HMR messing up animals pretty bad.
Optics are the most important part. I have a 3x18x44 on my 22lr
I haven't hunted rabbits in many years but I don't remember it being this hard lol. Maybe after years of shooting centerfire I forgot how close you have to be and how much the wind affects a small caliber. I must have missed over 15 shots between squirrels rabbits and badgers. I remember taking out rabbits with a 22 at 150 yards no problem.

Is .223 for badger something I should forget about if I'm trying to save the pelt in good condition?

what kind of optics are you guys using on cheap 22s? I just bought it super cheap $40 Barska. How important is a quality optic on something like a 22 with no recoil and not that great of accuracy to begin with?

22Hornet 40 gr Sierra blitz king or 45 gr Hornady with 12.5 grs of LIL'GUN will give you all the reach in variable wind conditions. I hunt ground squirrels on local ranches as well as rabbits, Fox, Coyotes, crows. Taken several bobcats. Note: can't hunt them in Kalifornia legally. The last 3 years been hunting prairie dogs in Arizona on 4 day hunts. 22 Hornet kills to 370 yds. I take the Hornet, 243, 6.5 Grendel. 300 rds for each. The 22 Hornet is my primary small game choice. I have 22lr in a levergun and pistol. All my other 22lr have gone to my grandkids. The 22 Hornet works in windy conditions you just have to learn and clarify your dope. Cheap to reload and packs the punch.

The first thing I shot with my 17hmr was a squirrel and it blew him in half, just a piece of hide holding him together, second was a rattlesnake, two piece viper.

Another vote for the 22 mag or a 223 and reloading. V-max for both,or cast for 223. Killed plenty with both and the 17hmr. Had a 17wsm for a while too. Killed everything up to a 200lb+ boar with my 22 mag loaded with v-max s. Head shots only for eating rabbits.

The 17 will work but isn't much in the wind or anchoring and animal.

I've carried one for years and have killed a few yotes and hogs so I know it will do the job. But it lacks a little punch.

I've wanted a 20 running a 32 grainer for a while but just haven't pulled the trigger on one as it splits the gap between the 17s and 223.

I think a 700 or savage action running a fast 20 from an 18 or 20 inch barrel would be a great vermin rig. Scopped with a 2-12 or 3-16 vx6 and suppressed.

Dang it, this could be a costly thread.

I have a 20 vartarg turbo tuning the 32's and outs the hurt on everything it touches!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts