Do I need a 17HMR for badger and rabbits?

You will love the .17hmr - flat and fast! If you want a bit more punch and range, like to reload check the .17 Hornady Hornet centerfire. - Collect them all!

Last edited:
I'm a 17 HMR fan. Almost never shoot the 22 anymore.

I've shot lots of game with the 17 from coyotes on down. I take the 20 grain bullets with me for coyotes as they penetrate better. They pass through on clean broadside shots under 100 yards. The 17 grain poly tips for everything else. For badger, I've heard guys having a hard time with penetration of the 17 grain bullets on badger heads. Personally, I've not been able to shoot one but most of the time I see them, only their head is out of the hole and looking right at me.

I know you aren't supposed to hunt with fmj but how would a 17 hmr fare with rabbit and badger? Will they still explode? I have a 17wsm and its too much for rabbit.

I have shot the 17HMR 20 grain SP, 17 grain FMJ, 17 grain hollow points into a ballistic block that was 18" long . The FMJ punched a .17" hole clean through. Would not recommend for hunting unless its brain shots only. For small rabbits like cotton tails, I body shot will mess up the pelt with the poly tips. Their skin is like tissue paper. I've shot larger hairs, jackrabbits, and marmots in the torso with the 17 grain and they don't pass through.

Getting into varmint hunting. Rabbits, squirrels, and badgers. I've been using a cheap 10/22, and got one badger at 30 yards with it. From what I've been reading most people use a .223 for badger?!

I am mostly after pelts, and meat from the rabbits. I don't want it ruined.

I keep missing my targets passed 50 yards. It's always pretty windy here.

Is a 17HMR going to fill the gap so I can shoot rabbits further and put down badgers quicker? Or is it going to ruin my pelts and meat.

should I stick to a .223 for badgers, or will that mess up the pelts too?

Ever think of the 204 Ruger? It's a hot rod!

I did upgrade to the 204 Ruger and love it! With proper bullet selection, you can save some pelts. I shoot the 204 to make thinks explode though.

it seems like the OP does not already have a centerfire rifle for varmints.

The HMR is a modest step up and probably has the least expensive cartridges.

After that, any .17 centerfire will do well too, unless the distance gets past abotu 150 yards an the days are windy. BUT that discussion should be held until after the OP has used the 17 for awhile!

"Need" a very personaly interpreted operative word. For instance I need my Shelby GT500. My wife say it is a middle age regression syndrome (male menopause). Doesn't matter, I have one. Do you need a .17 HMR? Definately not for hunting rabbits to eat. Way too destructive unless you can hit them in the eye every time. I use mine on prairie dogs to over 150 yards with excellant results. I also have a 17 Mach II. It is an excellant killer on small game. Again, it can be a little messy if rabbits are gut shot. I love my .204. Spectacular on prairie dogs and no destructive exit holes on coyotes. Ditto with my .17 Rem. Expends all energy immediately. I shot a jack rabbit once broadside through the chest at about 150 yards. Fur flew and when I inspected the rabbit, it looked normal except for a trickle of blood at the hole. Turned the rabbit over and all the fur was missing opposite the entrance and no exit. Didn't cut the rabbit open, but I'll bet the lungs and lungs were turned into jelly. So, if you are rabbit hunting, I'd carry some hyper velocity rounds for a chance encounter with a badger if you want more energy, although the 22 LR would probably suffice. It would even work on a coyote inside of 100 yards (with good bullet placement). Once again, do you need a .17 HMR? Yes, if you think of a slightest reason for on. No, if it's going to insure you going have to pay alimony(unless you are looking for an excuse to get rid of her and that's all it would take). So let your conscience be your guide.

To the OP with his 10-22. You mention its lack of accuracy. Have you tried different ammo? 22's are notorious for being finicky with certain ammo. Also think of trying a better barrel and or trigger. I turned a 10-22 into a bug hole rifle but I will say I did put some money in it.

Just get a CZ .22 and be done with it. Playing around with aftermarket stuff on your 10/22 will end up costing you more. The ruger 77/22 was fine, but they don't make them anymore.

I've only shot a 10/22 a few times and even with open sites, I've printed really good groups. Far better than the Savage 22..over course that 20 years old. Finding ammo that shoots best in a gun is always a must.
I reload my 204 for the same cost as 17 HMR.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.