Do I need a 17HMR for badger and rabbits?

101stCurrahee

Getting into varmint hunting. Rabbits, squirrels, and badgers. I've been using a cheap 10/22, and got one badger at 30 yards with it. From what I've been reading most people use a .223 for badger?!

I am mostly after pelts, and meat from the rabbits. I don't want it ruined.

I keep missing my targets passed 50 yards. It's always pretty windy here.

Is a 17HMR going to fill the gap so I can shoot rabbits further and put down badgers quicker? Or is it going to ruin my pelts and meat.

should I stick to a .223 for badgers, or will that mess up the pelts too?

I met a fellow recently who hunts foxes/coyotes/bobcats for their pelts during the winter hunting season. He and 2 of his buddies all shoot the 17 HMR. Little hole going in, with no exit hole. Plus all are DRT, including the coyotes. Nasty, but effective little round!

It should be a Badger's worst nightmare too.

The 17 will work but isn't much in the wind or anchoring and animal.

I've carried one for years and have killed a few yotes and hogs so I know it will do the job. But it lacks a little punch.

I've wanted a 20 running a 32 grainer for a while but just haven't pulled the trigger on one as it splits the gap between the 17s and 223.

I think a 700 or savage action running a fast 20 from an 18 or 20 inch barrel would be a great vermin rig. Scopped with a 2-12 or 3-16 vx6 and suppressed.

Dang it, this could be a costly thread.

I can't comment on badgers as I live in Virginia, but I'm quite fond of the 17wsm. In my experience it does quite well on our foxes and groundhogs, especially sending a 20gr v-max at 3000 FPS.

I just don't want to carry more than the two rifles I'm already carrying through the field for small game hunting(.22lr for squirrel rabbits badgers and .223 for coyotes) I've read a lot about the 17 HMR messing up animals pretty bad.

I haven't hunted rabbits in many years but I don't remember it being this hard lol. Maybe after years of shooting centerfire I forgot how close you have to be and how much the wind affects a small caliber. I must have missed over 15 shots between squirrels rabbits and badgers. I remember taking out rabbits with a 22 at 150 yards no problem.

Is .223 for badger something I should forget about if I'm trying to save the pelt in good condition?

what kind of optics are you guys using on cheap 22s? I just bought it super cheap $40 Barska. How important is a quality optic on something like a 22 with no recoil and not that great of accuracy to begin with?

I can't comment on badgers as I live in Virginia, but I'm quite fond of the 17wsm. In my experience it does quite well on our foxes and groundhogs, especially sending a 20gr v-max at 3000 FPS.
I agree the 17 hmr is too light for yotes unless head shots,now I know i'll get some rebuttal,however speaking truthfully i've dumped yotes by the hundreds,and know what i'm saying is true.

What about .204? A buddy showed me it. Do you think that would be too much for saving rabbit in badger pelt? He said it's good for coyote too. It would be nice to only need one rifle for all three and have something I could reload

What about .204? A buddy showed me it. Do you think that would be too much for saving rabbit in badger pelt? He said it's good for coyote too. It would be nice to only need one rifle for all three and have something I could reload
The 204 will shred squirrels and rabbits. I've seen this first hand. I would get the 204 or 223 or even a really light fast loaded 22-250 for the badgers and coyotes. A 40 grain v max going 4200 fps will leave a tiny entrance hole and will not exit but mr coyote will flip like he was struck by lightening

I've killed rock chucks, prairie dogs and rabbits out to 200 yards with my .17HMR but my .17WSM isn't nearly as accurate. I always use a good scope like the Vortex Crossfire on these small rifles with a crosshair that has graduations so I can adjust quickly for windage and distance. Rarely have to shoot a rabbit over 100 yards. Has plenty of punch but wind causes a lot of drifting.

Want to see some 204 Ruger damage? Go to YouTube and search for 204 Ruger vs woodchucks (or any animal of your choice). You'll find that a 204 Ruger doesn't save pelts or meat. It does kill 'em though.

Perhaps a 17 WSM might fit the balance between a 17 HMR & a 204 Ruger.

Radman's post reminded me of what a friend said when I told him I was thinking of 17 HMR. "A 22 magnum hits harder than a 17 HMR."

Many times the new (17 HMR) doesn't improve the old (22 magnum) enough to change.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. Looks like I have to use two calibers regardless. Smoked another badger with a 22 Long rifle so I'll probably just see what I can do to get it to shoot better and stick with what I have for now

Getting into varmint hunting. Rabbits, squirrels, and badgers. I've been using a cheap 10/22, and got one badger at 30 yards with it. From what I've been reading most people use a .223 for badger?!

I am mostly after pelts, and meat from the rabbits. I don't want it ruined.

I keep missing my targets passed 50 yards. It's always pretty windy here.

Is a 17HMR going to fill the gap so I can shoot rabbits further and put down badgers quicker? Or is it going to ruin my pelts and meat.

should I stick to a .223 for badgers, or will that mess up the pelts too?
Met a guy with likes like you & he swears by a .22 Magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.