Do crimp setting change with different bullets?

TBuckus

I'm reloading some 223 practice rounds for my AR on my Dillon 550.
I have a bunch of misc Manuf/grain bullets that I would like to use up (40gr up to 63gr)

What I am wondering is does the crimp die (Lee Factory Crimp Die) on my 550 need to be adjusted when switching to a different grain bullet?
It is my understanding is the factory crimp die is based off the brass, which doesn't change regardless of bullet. So in theory, I shouldn't have to change the crimp adjustment when I go from 40 to 52 grain.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes and no. You're correct that only the brass is affected by the crimp. However, in my limited use, I've seen different bullet/powder combinations show preference for different crimps. So far my crimps run from "0" (still a light crimp) toas much as 3/8ths turn crimp (using the teeth on the FCD as a reference). I mostly use the FCD as the final tuning step in load development.

Yes and no. You're correct that only the brass is affected by the crimp. However, in my limited use, I've seen different bullet/powder combinations show preference for different crimps. So far my crimps run from "0" (still a light crimp) toas much as 3/8ths turn crimp (using the teeth on the FCD as a reference). I mostly use the FCD as the final tuning step in load development.
I absolutely agree when fine tuning a load I need to adjust the crimp amount per individual load (example- 7mmwsm 155 gr and 124gr hammers)
Some loads I'm about to start are just for short range practice with my AR. 50-100yds.
My theory, although possibly wrong is that by leaving the crimp alone say 1/4 turn give or take, I'm taking out one tuning aspect out of load development. If my first one or two powder charges give me 1-2moa, I'm happy.

I absolutely agree when fine tuning a load I need to adjust the crimp amount per individual load (example- 7mmwsm 155 gr and 124gr hammers)
Some loads I'm about to start are just for short range practice with my AR. 50-100yds.
My theory, although possibly wrong is that by leaving the crimp alone say 1/4 turn give or take, I'm taking out one tuning aspect out of load development. If my first one or two powder charges give me 1-2moa, I'm happy.
Absolutely! Start with minimal crimp. If you find a good load, you're all set. Leave well enough alone😁.
My personal goal is 0.5". If I don't get it with initial load development, time to tune and test.

Recent Posts