Do any Obermeyer (SP?) blanks still exist?

JustC

Does anyone know if there are any Obermeyer barrel blanks left anywhere? I have been told that Boots is "done for the day" and he is no longer making barrels, but I am interested in whether there are any of his blanks sitting anywhere for sale? I know this is a goose chase but I had to give it a try.

Thanks

Try posting on LongRangetargetshooting.com.

All of your NRA Highpower shooter, palma types are there and if anyone has one they might. However, be prepared to pay out the nose. Other than nostalgic reasons, I do not think that you will find his barrels any better than the barrels of today and they will cost you less.

Know several guys that have used his barrels and guns, and they have all switched to other barrels successfully without dropping any points etc in average scores.

BH

Thanks Bounty Hunter, now that being said, what are the favored barrel makers out there right now?

I have access to Pac-nor on the shelf at the gunsmith. I also have a few Harts, but I don't see them shooting any better.

BH,

When did Boots stop making the tubes for the SR-25's ? It's my understanding that his barrels are what kept those rifles in service. Does Mr. Spencer have a website?

JustC,

If you're looking for a R5 profile, you have two options (that I know of) that are cut rifled. Mike Rock is one. Border of Scottland is now making R5's under licence from Obermeyer.

FatBoy...

Do not know about Boots quitting or why, just know that getting a barrel from him has always been a 1-2 yr wait especially if you wanted him to do the work on the gun.

Clay Spencer does not have a web site but he is in Scotsville VA (434) 293-6836 and fax is 293-6836 also. Think he has tooling to make and machine the really long barrels also, I know my first one was 1.875 tapered to 1.5 and finished a little over 30" in 30 cal 1-10 twist. His prices are right there with anyone elses and decent delivery time. For example a finished straight 30 x 1.75 is $385. When you compare that size to others it is same pricing. My last one took about 4-6 weeks to get to the gunsmith. I spent a day in his shop just lookin at what and how he does it with barrels and guns. He lets anyone airgauge any barrel they want to bring in and compare to his and I never saw any of them close to his tolerances.

The barrels he is building for the Delta guys at Bragg are 18" heavy barrels. Their armors install and final fit and doing .5 MOA with combat ammo they claim. They were impressed enough after testing all the barrels they could find from every mftr, that they gave him big $ to expand shop and buy more tooling to build a certain number of barrels for them each year in calibers they specify.

He is pretty **** good at 1000 yard rifles too. Builds a lot of winners.

Just my opinion, but for now he is my first choice in new barrels.

BH

Depends on what you are going to do with it. Lot of HP guys like Kriegers, but some have got some bad ones and not got much "customer service" trying to return them. That includes some local 1000 yd guys so Kriegers are kind of out of favor here with some of the top shooters. Harts, Liljas, Shilen and Clay Spencers are all good. maybe not all great, but all very good. Everyone makes a bad barrel now and then, due the steel. Question is how do they handle the "return". Pac Nor makes a very good barrel. Only thing with them, I have seen some (only 2) tight bores (bullets blow up at 100-400 yds no matter what velocity). Just something to check out with that particular barrel. Now I believe the Palma guys like the tight bore for the 308. Just what I heard.

If your accuracy level is .5 MOA such as in High Power almost all of them will give a great barrel for that. If you are trying Benchrest standards then barrel choice is a little more select.

Personally, I like Spencers first and then toss up with Hart and Lilja depending on what I am wanting it for. I currently have two spencers, one hart and one Lilja on my LR and BR guns. Getting ready to order another Spencer for my light 1000 yard gun. I think Clay Spencer makes one of the tightest tolerance and most accurate barrels across the board right now. Uncle Sam just paid him big $ to add more tooling and expand his shop to build custom barrels for Spec Ops snipers and SR 25s. Know the guys building those and they are very picky after testing everything out there.

Just my .02 worth and only worth about that. Someone else will disagree and rightly so. Take your pick after talking to a lot of people and your gunsmith!

Good Luck

BH

Is Clay Spencers barrels not spencerriflebarrels.com?
smile.gif

Thank You for your info Bounty Hunter,......but alas, I had my hopes set on a .30 cal in 1:10 twist, around 32". I will look at the Spencer barrels before I make any decisions.

Also, what blanks does he use?

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.