Do all Bullet for 30-06 AI?

180 accubond can produce 2800fps in a regular 06, expands well on deer and antelope but holds together well and drives deep for elk out to 600yds

look no farther...180 accubond is the DO-ALL 30-06 bullet an ai would be only better

in all my 06's they shoot the same as 180 Ballistic tips which have the exact same BC so you can shoot them interchangeable. Depending on how much your son likes to burn ammo the Ballistic tip is a inexpensive way to keep shooting while saving the Accubonds for your important hunts.

I like the Hammers too but cant afford to send a bunch of those off to college ...LOL
James

Absolutes hammer in 162 worked well in my regular 30-06 using Varget. Im getting 3032 FPS in a 24" barrel. As someone else mentioned, see the absolute hammer loading thread. There is a well kept data sheet you can download.

Please let us know how it goes with whichever bullet you use. It would be good to know the velocities from a 20" 30-06 AI

As a guy who has shot the range of bullets look no further than the absolute hammer. 300 win mag speed out of an 06 with a bullet that been proven to punch well above it's weight. No other bullet has been doing that since the nosler partition.

I'm just waiting for the smith to finish everything up- so far I have the following 30 cal bullets laying around to test- 178 eldm, 175 LRX, 168 ttsx, 151 AH. I also have some 124 HH- those should be fast!!

Its time to work on my son's rifle- a left hand Tikka with a 20" Proof. It is currently at the gunsmith getting the barrel installed and chambered in 30-06 AI. This is his "only" rifle since he shoots left and all my rifles are righthand. (doesn't stop him from using them 😄 ) But he will be off to College in Idaho and will be taking just this one for hunting; antelope- deer, elk. He is a great shot, recording kills out to 600 yds with my 7 saum, and 300 wsm.

So what bullet, loads do you like? I know it will be up to what's available for the next while! but I got time to work on finding components!
We have used the hornady 178 gr ELDX for mule deer and elk and works great

I have a 30-06 AI that is built around the165 grain Nosler Accu-Bond. Talking to Lilja barrels I went with a 1-12 twist 3 groove #4 barrel @ 24". Using H4350 I'm getting 3100 Fps and under .5 accuracy with the setup. Rifle is built on a Pre64 and is one of my all time favorite rifles. Bullet has performed on many head of game from 500 yards, this rifle likes the bullet .065 of the lands.

I have a 30-06 AI that is built around the165 grain Nosler Accu-Bond. Talking to Lilja barrels I went with a 1-12 twist 3 groove #4 barrel @ 24". Using H4350 I'm getting 3100 Fps and under .5 accuracy with the setup. Rifle is built on a Pre64 and is one of my all time favorite rifles. Bullet has performed on many head of game from 500 yards, this rifle likes the bullet .065 of the lands.
That's pretty fast! Good performance out of your set up

For a "one bullet" choice I would choose the Barnes 180gr TSX. I have had excellent performance with this bullet, total pass throughs, large entry hole and fist like exit holes with this bullet. Plus I believe either the 180gr or the 168gr weights are the optimum bullet for the "06".

For a "one bullet" choice I would choose the Barnes 180gr TSX. I have had excellent performance with this bullet, total pass throughs, large entry hole and fist like exit holes with this bullet. Plus I believe either the 180gr or the 168gr weights are the optimum bullet for the "06".
You have never tried hammer have you?
I used to shoot Barnes. I can't tell you they are not in the same ballpark especially when it comes to internal damage. Mainly because they rely on more speed for the damage the hammer have the same speed but a much better construction of the bullet. Softer material so more expansion inside from the front tip.
You should do yourself a solid and give even a sample box a try. You will soon give away the Barnes to a friend in need.

This rifle is fast, maybe some luck but my Smith does very good work and Lilja barrels are the nicest smoothest looking button barrels I've ever ran a bore scope in. When I built the load I was at 3050/3060 fps. I'm at about .005 throat erosion and it sped up a bit. I've got some loaded nosler ammo with 180 Ballistic tips to fire form. Will be interesting to see how they shoot. 06 AI is an over achiever, I'm working up a load with 6.5 Staball currently, always nice to have a backup load with how hard it is find anything these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.