Do 1/8 moa clicks really = less adjustment?

benchracer

I have heard it said that having 1/8 MOA clicks limits the available total adjustment in a given scope. To me, that is a head scratcher. It doesn't make sense to me. Moreover, I don't think it is correct.

In my mind's eye, I am picturing two identical sized gears. One with coarse teeth and one with fine teeth. The only difference between the two gears would be the number of teeth.

I am thinking that the internal adjustments on a scope would be similar, with the only difference being the number of clicks per revolution, not the total number of clicks available.

Am I thinking along the proper lines, or am I missing something?

OK. Why? And how does that affect total available adjustment? Just trying to wrap my head around this...

Ihave friends that are 1000 bench shooters,so those are the scopesI have been around.You need to look at each manufacture specs,they all vary with size model.Typical bench they shoot are NF 12-42 they have about 1/2 2/3 of a NF 5-22. The Ziess typical has less adjustment.The tactical seen likes alot of adjust and fast so now we have the 10 mil per rev and the likes.NF has some very high adjust and more power range coming out right now.

Let me try to make it simple. In the old days, some scopes had 1" adjustments. That means that at 100 yards (always use 100 as a basis) each click moved the elevation or windage point of impact 1". So, in about 30 clicks the POI would move 30".

Newer scopes have 1/8 and 1/4th inch clicks. Take a scope with 1/8th inch adjustments, it takes 8 clicks to equal 1" movement. To adjust it the same 30" would require 240 clicks, and there ain't that many on a scope. For a 1/4th" adjustment, cut the clicks in half. For that reason, you can obtain more adjustment without running out of clicks on a higher movement click turret.

All MOA scopes now have a large hash mark for the minute. The smaller hash marks between these will tell you how many clicks will move POI at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.