Dlc vs. cerakote vs. ???

I cerakote a lot of actions to smooth them up, not all cerakote jobs are equal and not in all actions. I can't cerakote a Borden bolt body and action but I can do the action and it will be smooth as glass. I just cerakoted a Nitrided action but left the bolt and it's smoother now than before. Cerakoting with the air dry version and laying it on heavy will make an action feel poor.

Check out Top Gun Enterprises in Elberta, AL (http://www.gunfinish.com). They use a two step process where the parts are first dipped in a phosphate solution that is self lubricating. This protects the areas that can't be easily sprayed. All the finishes I have seen from them look really good. I have never had any guns re-finished, but am considering them for my Sig P220. They are only about 30 mins from me and I have seen a good bit of their work.

The receiver is steel and the barrel is stainless and the muzzle brake is mild steel. Looks fine. Works fine.
They do different processes to each if done correctly, I have to segregate and label each type when sending them in as they don't mix for best results.

They do different processes to each if done correctly, I have to segregate and label each type when sending them in as they don't mix for best results.

Agree. The nitriding process is different for S.S. versus non-S.S. I don't know the full consequence of using the wrong nitride process on different steels. It may not damage anything, but the full value of the nitride process must be compromised somehow or another. Otherwise there wouldn't be two different nitride processes for the two differing types of steel.

If the nitriding company tells you something different, a guy might be better off looking for a different company to nitride your stuff.

Last edited:
I can vouch that nitriding is smoother and more durable than Cerakote having had rifles done both ways (including by a high quality cerakote guy). Not casting stones, just sharing my experience. Also. verified to me by a high volume builder/mfg on this site who used to be a long-time cerakote user. (But I'll let him chime in if he wants)

Also, I do know nitriding has changed some over the years, with those specializing in guns perfecting a lower temp process. Not sure how/if that has affected treatment differences for different steels -- just saying it has been evolving and some facts, and cons like galling concerns have supposedly changed....from my research nitriding another barreled action recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.