diy zero stop

Kaleb

I have a Ziess conquest 3.5-10x44 that I sent in a couple years ago for turrets. They're exposed I think Ziess calls them target turrets. Either way I've came across diy links and threads for NF and the swfa scope. Curious if anyone has any tricks on these. Thanks.

Most of the diy zero stops I've seen are simply shims that prevent the turret from turning beyond a certain point. I suppose they'd work OK but getting them precisely fitted so they always stop at exactly the same point would be very difficult and, because you can never be certain that the "stop" is truly at zero when you reach that point with the turret, you're probably going to take a peek to make sure anyway so why not just look and be done with it.

The reason I would like a zs isn't to return to zero with my eyes shut. As a matter of fact it doesn't even have to return to exact zero. It would be more for not getting a revolution off. If I forget to dial back to zero after a shot and forget about it. If my stop went past zero a 1/4 turn even id still figure out quickly where I am.

Didn't mean to start a thread on why a zero stop. Was just curious if anyone had added one to the zeiss turrets.

It's more about stopping it from making another revolution and being at the next zero rather than stopping exactly at the correct zero. The Zeiss scopes can be shimmed the same way as the others. Plastic is probably the safest thing to use but I typically use aluminum because I have it on hand. Measure from the bottom of the turret to the scope body and subtract .005. Then go looking for something that will work if you don't have access to a lathe. Usually the turret will go 10-15 clicks past zero before it actually stops but it's easy to bring it back up from there.

I have thought about simply making a gauge to measure if the turret is on the correct revolution. It should be fairly easy to make a right angle gauge out of something and cut it so when the turret is set at zero on the correct revolution the gauge rests on top of the turret and scope tube. Something like a carburetor float gauge.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N0HSKI/?tag=lrhmag19-20

9k=

I have done the same thing on 3 bushnell tactical scopes. Read about it on the Practical Riflery Forum. They gave some parts you could buy at Lowes. Idea was not hit exact zero but to be able set the stop below zero so you'll spin back up to zero. I find them very helpful as they keep you from getting lost so to speak. Can always find your zero by spinning down to a hard stop then back up to your zero. Also allows you to make true zero adjustments for environmentals, etc and keep your below zero stop in place.

Ive on my used small washers,brass ones get at hardware store thin. I have also drill turrett mark 4 and small allen, very precise. I like it where I can go a few tenth mil past zero.The allen is adjustable can use with different bullet grain,mine still has copper washer as a index point.

Attachments

• 338 Norma.jpg
    338 Norma.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 455
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts