DIY West Texas Aoudad success with Desert Tech

o2bwest

66122889_123818498852899_2071585945177554944_n.jpg
IMG_3173 (1).jpg

Had an awesome adventure in the mountains of West Texas. Good friends and I connected with 2 good rams. Literally laid them down within feet of each other. Both rams were killed with my Desert Tech SRS A2 in 6.5 CM. Both shot through the shoulder at 300yds with 147 ELD. These animals are notorious for taking a hit but the well placed creedmoor was good medicine.

Congrats! I'm counting down to when I get to go in January. It'll be my first aoudad hunt. Going west if the big bend region.

Congratulations! I have spent most of my life chasing those things around the Davis Mountains.

View attachment 139656 View attachment 139657
Had an awesome adventure in the mountains of West Texas. Good friends and I connected with 2 good rams. Literally laid them down within feet of each other. Both rams were killed with my Desert Tech SRS A2 in 6.5 CM. Both shot through the shoulder at 300yds with 147 ELD. These animals are notorious for taking a hit but the well placed creedmoor was good medicine.
CONGRATS o2bwest! Great hunt gentlemen! When I got my ram, he took two 225g Nosler Accubonds from my 338 Lapua behind the shoulder at 325yards to put him down. Very tough amazing animals. I'm surprised that little 6.5 could do it! Oh, I've stepped in it now! Just kidding!

More curious to how they taste, I don't necessarily see them tasting very good. Anyone with advice let me know. I'll be in TX in a few months for a hog hunt and have an option of adding one of these. thanks

Congrats! Great rams. Last year there were 4 of us who hunted aoudad in the Chinati mountains of west Texas. Three rams were taken with 6.5cms, at ranges of 200 to 350 yards. One cull ewe was taken with a 308 at 350 yards. One other ram with a 7mm RM at 360 yards. They are rugged beasts. Going again next January. It is a great hunt in rugged, beautiful mountains.

More curious to how they taste, I don't necessarily see them tasting very good. Anyone with advice let me know. I'll be in TX in a few months for a hog hunt and have an option of adding one of these. thanks
I can only pass along what my guide told me when I asked the same question....."They taste somewhere between cardboard and a truck tire".....and he was dead serious.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.