DIY Public land / DIY Trespass Hunt

PowellSixO

My little brother and I live almost 1000 miles apart from each other, and we try to plan a hunting trip a year to get together to catch up. This year we're headed to his home state of Idaho to chase mule deer. We've been buying our antelope points in Wyoming now for 3 years, and would like to plan on chasing speed goats in 2019. I really don't know much about Wyoming, and I was hoping someone could recommend a good property we could do a trespass hunt on, or a decent unit with good public land. I'd really like to get some real reviews and recommendations from real hunters like you guys. Any help or information would be appreciated.

We're not expecting the best unit, with the most antelope, or the biggest bucks. We have a realistic expectation, with only 3 points a piece. We just want to have a good time, and see some antelope. With that said, I have a couple more questions. Is it possible for us to draw a decent unit as non residents with only 3 points each? What would be some units that we have good chances of drawing, that would allow us good public access? If we'd be better off with a trespass hunt due to our low points, what units would be good for that? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sorry and I seldom do this, but if you've been buying PPs for 3 years and have almost an entire year before you apply for a hunt in 2019, I have to say to please do your own initial homework. The G&F website has all the draw odds for the last 6 or 7 years, maps of the units in the Hunt Planner to see what ones have the most accessible public land, hunter success figures by unit, etc. I suggest you take your time and find a few units that look like they will meet what you want and then come back and ask members for help on those particular units. Also, do a search on several of the popular Forums like Eastmans, Hunttalk, and MonsterMuleys and you'll find all kinds of information just waiting for you to read that will help you on your decision. Good luck!

That's kind of why I am starting this thread. I'm starting my homework early. I have been reading as much as I can find. But it's hard to trust everything you read. I figured I'd get a straight answer from this forum. I'm not one to wait to the last minute and ask questions then. I've helped 2 different members from this forum harvest their first elk in Arizona, and pack them out. I feel like I'm a contributing member to this site. I guess I'm asking too much for a little guidance on a hunt that's over a year a way. Disregard this thread. I'll figure it out on my own.

That's kind of why I am starting this thread. I'm starting my homework early. I have been reading as much as I can find. But it's hard to trust everything you read. I figured I'd get a straight answer from this forum. I'm not one to wait to the last minute and ask questions then. I've helped 2 different members from this forum harvest their first elk in Arizona, and pack them out. I feel like I'm a contributing member to this site. I guess I'm asking too much for a little guidance on a hunt that's over a year a way. Disregard this thread. I'll figure it out on my own.
Keep your thread I'm sure their's a friendly person to offer a idea or two...

Keep your thread I'm sure their's a friendly person to offer a idea or two...

I'm very friendly, was in that post, and even said please! I'm happy to help IF someone shows they have done anything to get started on what they are asking about. FYI I probably offer more help and information about Wyoming on this and several other big Forums that just about anyone on the net since I haven't missed a season out there since 1998! The OP says he knows nothing about Wyoming and I gave him all the starting points to actually do some homework and come up with some units. All he did was ask for people to tell him where to go hunt and from now on because of people like that who ask for help and never come back I decided to make my post the way I did. I gave him plenty of ways to help himself before coming back and if the two of you don't like what I posted I guess I have to say that's too bad!

Last edited:

Don't let it bother you, Hunter.. There are other people to ask... Sometimes being an old fart that I am , get a little grouchy too... like when my wife.... never mind lol

I'm very friendly, was in that post, and even said please! I'm happy to help IF someone shows they have done anything to get started on what they are asking about. FYI I probably offer more help and information about Wyoming on this and several other big Forums that just about anyone on the net since I haven't missed a season out there since 1998! The OP says he knows nothing about Wyoming and I gave him all the starting points to actually do some homework and come up with some units. All he did was ask for people to tell him where to go hunt and from now on because of people like that who ask for help and never come back I decided to make my post the way I did. I gave him plenty of ways to help himself before coming back and if the two of you don't like what I posted I guess I have to say that's too bad!

I have gathered that units 61,64,66,67,68,75,77,78,79,83,91,92,95,101,112, and 114 have the most public land. That's IF I'm interpreting the maps correctly. I have found that for a non resident it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 points in the special draw to have 100% draw odds in these units, with the exception of unit 78, 79, and 83. I have gone over the success rates, tag quotas, and the distance to each unit from my home in AZ. There's PLENTY more that I'm leaving out. I guess I should have lead with this information. After all of that, I'm more overwhelmed about which unit to put in for now than anything. I was just looking for some friendly advice that might lead me in the right direction. If you could help that would be great, if not I respect your decision to do so.

So after looking into this some more, I've found that 63, 73, 74, 78, and 83 take 3 to 4 points in the special draw. They also look like they have decent public access. Is there any one unit or units I should stay away from? Are there any of these units that would be better over another? I also found that unit 79 only took 1 point, but most of the things I can find about the unit is negative. I'd really appreciate some help if someone could give me some real world advice.

FYI
Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way Topgun 30-06. I should have been more upfront with what I've researched in my first post, and not taken offence to your response.

No problem man! It's just that I've helped a number of people that I know drew the tags for units I've suggested to them this year by looking at the odds results and only a couple have even got back to me with a thank you. I'm busy right now, but look for a PM back to you tonight since I think you've proven you're not one of those that will ask and run. I have a couple units that you can either burn your 3 PPs on or one that you can even draw as a second choice to have a good hunt and buy a PP next year so you'll have 4 PPs for 2020.

No problem man! It's just that I've helped a number of people that I know drew the tags for units I've suggested to them this year by looking at the odds results and only a couple have even got back to me with a thank you. I'm busy right now, but look for a PM back to you tonight since I think you've proven you're not one of those that will ask and run. I have a couple units that you can either burn your 3 PPs on or one that you can even draw as a second choice to have a good hunt and buy a PP next year so you'll have 4 PPs for 2020.

Good deal. I really appreciate it. If you ever have the itch to come to AZ, I can help with coues deer, mule deer, and elk in several units. I'm usually free to lend some good glassing, and leg work.

Unless you really care about the size of the goat, I'd also throw out there not to be overly concerned about needing large numbers of points or paying a big trespass fee to shoot a half decent goat. I hunt WY every year or two. We hunt a leftover tag unit with "poor" access to public land. We see plenty of antelope and have always tagged out the 2-4 of us in the truck in 1-2 days. The trick is to get further from the truck than most people...which typically means just getting out. The first year I was surprised how many antelope we saw just by getting out of the truck and looking around terrain features which hid the antelope from sight of the road. They aren't completely stupid.

Topgun...sounds as if you better be the one apologizing...P60 just offered up a hell of a trip to AZ for you....
Hell...if I knew anything about WY I'd be giving him any word I could even if I can't see myself having the chance....but an offer for a possible coues hunt...hell yes....drive my *** there and supply the evening beer....

P60...i have heard that certain units in se Idaho are good nonresident first chance draws for moose....might look into it.....and you might want to bring your other kin to help pack that big chunk of meat out....
No matter what.....have a great time on your hunt...

Unless you really care about the size of the goat, I'd also throw out there not to be overly concerned about needing large numbers of points or paying a big trespass fee to shoot a half decent goat. I hunt WY every year or two. We hunt a leftover tag unit with "poor" access to public land. We see plenty of antelope and have always tagged out the 2-4 of us in the truck in 1-2 days. The trick is to get further from the truck than most people...which typically means just getting out. The first year I was surprised how many antelope we saw just by getting out of the truck and looking around terrain features which hid the antelope from sight of the road. They aren't completely stupid.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate that. We're not scared to get away from the road. Most of our hunts are backpacking hunts.

Topgun...sounds as if you better be the one apologizing...P60 just offered up a hell of a trip to AZ for you....
Hell...if I knew anything about WY I'd be giving him any word I could even if I can't see myself having the chance....but an offer for a possible coues hunt...hell yes....drive my *** there and supply the evening beer....

P60...i have heard that certain units in se Idaho are good nonresident first chance draws for moose....might look into it.....and you might want to bring your other kin to help pack that big chunk of meat out....
No matter what.....have a great time on your hunt...
It's all good. I understand the frustration of reading a post where someone wants information, with no intentions of helping someone else out, or putting in any work themselves. I should have been more clear in my first post. We've chatted and all is good. And my offer still stands with Topgun about hunting AZ.

I'd love to chase a moose one day 26reload. If you have info on a moose hunt, that you'd like to trade info or help on an AZ hunt of some sort, I'm all ears. PM me if interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.