DIY Form 1 Suppressor Question?

I own 3 cans. The ONLY ones safe to shoot w/o ear protection are the 22 with subs and the 300 B/O with subs. Even the 45 ACP (subsonic) it too loud to shoot unprotected.
My question was aimed at (pun intended) a hunting situation where two shots would be the most shots fired.

Until my form 1 SBR is approved I've had a brace on it, but that is a slippery slope. I understand the wording has changed and you can now legally shoulder a brace.

I'm with cohunt on avoiding any possible chance to have a legal issue over wording.

I still do have a 5.56 pistol but it was built on a lower registered as a pistol.

As I understand it now they dont do that any more, but at one time...you couldn't build a rifle, then make into a pistol. Once you built a pistol, then converted it into a rifle you couldn't make it into a pistol again.

But as I understand it now, I guess because the uppers swap so easy. They dont have it in the books like that any more.

Just as an FYI:

From everything I've been able to find, once you're approved for your form1 can you can posses any parts required to assemble it. That includes buying the 'solvent trap'. Doesn't matter if the baffles are already drilled.

It's only illegal if you do not have an approved form1 because then they can get you for constructive intent. Once you have the approval, your allowed the 'constructive intent'

Amusing all the paranoia, as is ATF has 100s of agents out sweeping the country looking for unregistered cans.
Had mine for 6 years and only been asked for papers once. That was from a range officer at a public range in FL.

Amusing all the paranoia, as is ATF has 100s of agents out sweeping the country looking for unregistered cans.
Had mine for 6 years and only been asked for papers once. That was from a range officer at a public range in FL.

And, as far as I've seen, you aren't required to show it unless:

1) it's an actual ATF agent asking

Or

2) your state specifically grants the right to LEOs to ask for the sake of proving federal compliance

No one else can legally require it to be shown

And you had them? I dont carry anything. I used to have a reduced copy of the stamp, but dont bother anymore

And you had them? I dont carry anything. I used to have a reduced copy of the stamp, but dont bother anymore
Only had mine 10 months!

Buddy of mine who has a couple cans said he put a copy in all his gun cases. I have 5 gun cases that the can might transported in...so I put one in each. I do have another copy in the original box it came in...that's in my console of my truck.

Apparently in Florida. Or do you mean in general?
ATF is Federal. State laws may differ but from my understanding ATF requiresyou to have the stamp on your person if the can or SBR is with you. Personally I see no reason to risk 10 years. Much more inconvenient than figuring out how to have the stamp with you.
Apparently in Florida. Or do you mean in general?

ATF is Federal. State laws may differ but from my understanding ATF requiresyou to have the stamp on your person if the can or SBR is with you. Personally I see no reason to risk 10 years. Much more inconvenient than figuring out how to have the stamp with you.
No, they do not. In fact, the ATF recommends you do NOT carry the stamp, and that if you want to carry it, you make a copy. They do not require you have anything on your person. You are merely required to provide it "on request". And that does not mean immediately. If people want to make copies and carry them, up to them. And requirements can vary by state. State of AZ does not require it.

And the only thing you are risking is possible harassment. Illegal possession of a suppressor carries pretty stiff penalties. Not having your stamp on your person does not make you guilty of that.

No, they do not. In fact, the ATF recommends you do NOT carry the stamp, and that if you want to carry it, you make a copy. They do not require you have anything on your person. You are merely required to provide it "on request". And that does not mean immediately. If people want to make copies and carry them, up to them. And requirements can vary by state. State of AZ does not require it.
I'm not sure what the rules are in Texas but it's not a big deal. I keep the original in my big safe. I will make a copy of the SBR form when it gets here and keep it in the gun case. And do the same with my form 4 when it gets here.

But all originals will stay locked up!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.