DIY Form 1 Suppressor Question?

CaptnC

I have a suppressor (form 4) and Form 1 SBR E-File in the works. I called on both last week, just about 6 months on the Form 4...so I hope to hear something very soon. The women said they are running 7 months right now. She also said the E-File Form 1 was running 2 months right now.

I ask if it was boom in SBR or DIY but she said she didn't know but everyone being at home spending time play on the computer is what she was told was causing the increase in submissions.

So it got me to thinking, it must be guys buying the parts and building their own. I got a bit of a conformation from a buddy from high school (grad 79) that I have not talked to in several years. He said he done a Form 1 E-File and it took him about 1 month to get his approval to build it. He said there was a big back log on parts so I'm thinking, my thinking is accurate. Guys are sitting at home and finding the parts to build them once they get approved.

Question;

Any one doing one?

Who are you getting parts from?

My buddy bought his parts from;

Kind of curious if there are any more places to choose from.

You should be careful about "buying" suppressor or solvent trap parts, the gvt frowns upon them being sold and has gone after sellers and customer records in the past
That being said, there are quite a few suppliers out there, 2 of the bog ones that have been out there for years are sdta and dm for tubes.
Do your homework, you can use fp , vr, k-cup, or machined baffles-- drilling, clipping, etc.
Your stack spacers and blast chamber can have different spacing depending on use (subs, supers, cartridge, etc)
Then there are materials-- al for 22lr, carbon steel for cheep/strong, ss or ti. Baffles can have different styles, materials, spacing etc.

My suggestion is go to a f1 suppressor forums and start reading --- a lot...learn from other peoples trials as theoretically you cant change internal parts once you build it.
Blast chamber dimensions are pretty critical for safety when it comes to cartridge and barrel length-- there are 0 warrantys on f1 parts so you are on your own when it comes to barrel length limitations, f/a, etc.

Good luck.

I have done one. I only have a drill press and could not get the holes as precise as I wanted. So I ended up oversized. Can still sounded good but didn't like the concept of various whole sizes and imprecise can. So I sent it to Ecco machine and he rebuilt it with a fully welded stainless baffle stack and now it's incredible. 10" x1.5" titanium tube with a stainless stack weighs 18 ounces. So a little heavy.

I purchased my parts from diversified machine, I had a pretty good experience but I've heard they can have very long ship times.

cohunt, I have been reading about it quite a bit. But didn't see any diy forums in my searches but that's a great idea.

My buddy built a 9mm can for a AR pistol.

IMO that's a pretty dicey play on legal language too. I've only taken my 6.5 Grendel "pistol" to the range twice. It's currently separated and in different safes. I've had arguments with the cats over on 6.5 Grendel forum over the legal play of words over their short barrel AR's. So I'm going the SBR "stamp" route on mine.

So I'm one who like to keep everything legal to the law and plan to follow that same train of thought with a Form 1 suppressor.

cohunt, I have been reading about it quite a bit. But didn't see any diy forums in my searches but that's a great idea.

My buddy built a 9mm can for a AR pistol.

IMO that's a pretty dicey play on legal language too. I've only taken my 6.5 Grendel "pistol" to the range twice. It's currently separated and in different safes. I've had arguments with the cats over on 6.5 Grendel forum over the legal play of words over their short barrel AR's. So I'm going the SBR "stamp" route on mine.

So I'm one who like to keep everything legal to the law and plan to follow that same train of thought with a Form 1 suppressor.
Just realize that once you register it as SBR, that's it. Only you (or trustees if in trust) can possess it. Just make sure it is really required before paying $200 to make it unsalable and unusable by anyone else.

Just realize that once you register it as SBR, that's it. Only you (or trustees if in trust) can possess it. Just make sure it is really required before paying $200 to make it unsalable and unusable by anyone else.
Thanks Steve but I'm already three weeks in...they grabbed the money instantly...lol

I dont sell guns any way...the huge majority that I no longer have were lost in a divorce...some really cool stuff to...my PSL haunts me constantly!

well, you said that by sbr'ing it --it made it unusable and unsaleable which isn't true, same set of rules as any nfa item with tax stamp
My point was taking a possibly non-NFA item and making it one, and the drawbacks to that. I have an AR "pistol", with an arm brace. No need to register it as an SBR, because it is not. But if I did, why would someone pay $200 and wait months to get a stamp to buy mine when they can build their own?

Thanks Steve but I'm already three weeks in...they grabbed the money instantly...lol

I dont sell guns any way...the huge majority that I no longer have were lost in a divorce...some really cool stuff to...my PSL haunts me constantly!
Got it. My "pistol" doesn't leave the house much, except to the range occasionally. Mainly home protection with a SilencerCo SOCOM can on it.

I just did a form 1, 28 days start to finish, Hawk Hybrid solvent trap in stock and was at my door in three days
A couple questions;
Was it a complete "kit"?

What caliber is it?

Does it need mill or lathe work?

From what I've seen so far today Quite Bore seems like a pretty good deal. I was a bit busy today working on preserving my wife Alligator head (skin on) and mounting my grandsons Aoudad from the 4th of July.

I got a great deal on my Rebel Silencer's and that might be one reason they went under, but I got two of their SOS .30 Hunters for the cost ($550 for both without the cost of the stamp) of many of the "kits" I looked at today

A couple questions;
Was it a complete "kit"?

What caliber is it?

Does it need mill or lathe work?

From what I've seen so far today Quite Bore seems like a pretty good deal. I was a bit busy today working on preserving my wife Alligator head (skin on) and mounting my grandsons Aoudad from the 4th of July.

I got a great deal on my Rebel Silencer's and that might be one reason they went under, but I got two of their SOS .30 Hunters for the cost ($550 for both without the cost of the stamp) of many of the "kits" I looked at today
They have various calibers and it's complete, there will be one hole to drill

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts