DIY Form 1 Suppressor Question?

They have various calibers and it's complete, there will be one hole to drill
The baffles are already drilled?I just looked at their web page--- yikes all the baffles are drilled.
If the baffles or front end cap are drilled the atf considers them to be suppressor parts and you cant buy suppressor parts and hawk cant legally sell them even as "solvent trap parts" IF that company sticks around very long i expect them to get shut down buy the atf and all their sales and cc records will be confiscated-- ask sdta-- that's why most reputable companies only sell tubes and end caps,or undrilled baffles, not full kits and usually not both baffles and tubes . In my opinion, Its just a matter of time before the atf pays them a visit.
Now saying this, I have never heard of anyone with a tax stamp to have a problem but I wouldn't want to be the first " example" so buyer beware-- do your homework and know what's legal and what's not.

Last edited:
The baffles are already drilled?I just looked at their web page--- yikes all the baffles are drilled.
If the baffles or front end cap are drilled the atf considers them to be suppressor parts and you cant buy suppressor parts and hawk cant legally sell them even as "solvent trap parts" IF that company sticks around very long i expect them to get shut down buy the atf and all their sales and cc records will be confiscated-- ask sdta-- that's why most reputable companies only sell tubes and end caps,or undrilled baffles, not full kits and usually not both baffles and tubes . In my opinion, Its just a matter of time before the atf pays them a visit.
Now saying this, I have never heard of anyone with a tax stamp to have a problem but I wouldn't want to be the first " example" so buyer beware-- do your homework and know what's legal and what's not.
If you'll do a search folks have been saying this about them forever yet they are still in business and thriving so I'd say the folks at Hawk have done their homework and succeeded

I've been thinking about trying this for a while. The quick turnaround is the biggest advantage. My last can was in atf jail for about 10 months. With titanium kits and no warranty the cost savings isn't a factor. I would really want something like a quick detach, and a lot of those kits are out of stock.

They are listed as a supplier on th Form 1 Suppressor forum site...I'm chatting in a thread about them there now.

I have done one form 1 and have two form 4 cans. I will say that almost any magnum hunting rifle is going to be over 140db with supersonic ammo. I will also say that it is still worth it. I built mine to be very light using all Ti tubing, cups, and qd mount. I used Superprecisionconcepts and would highly recommend them to anyone. They offer 50* 60* and Pro cups. I would second the recommendation to go to a form 1 forum and read a lot then formulate a plan and ask for help.
For a hunting rifle I would recommend a 7-8" tube with 6-7 cups and either titanium direct thread or a light QD like the cherry bomb or griffin minimalist. You're going to be into it about $500 and some machining time but its quite fun to do.

I have a suppressor (form 4) and Form 1 SBR E-File in the works. I called on both last week, just about 6 months on the Form 4...so I hope to hear something very soon. The women said they are running 7 months right now. She also said the E-File Form 1 was running 2 months right now.

I ask if it was boom in SBR or DIY but she said she didn't know but everyone being at home spending time play on the computer is what she was told was causing the increase in submissions.

So it got me to thinking, it must be guys buying the parts and building their own. I got a bit of a conformation from a buddy from high school (grad 79) that I have not talked to in several years. He said he done a Form 1 E-File and it took him about 1 month to get his approval to build it. He said there was a big back log on parts so I'm thinking, my thinking is accurate. Guys are sitting at home and finding the parts to build them once they get approved.

Question;

Any one doing one?

Who are you getting parts from?

My buddy bought his parts from;

Kind of curious if there are any more places to choose from.
JK Armaments Modular Solvent Trap Kits are available in different calibers and you can get jigs for drilling out the holes. The jigs help direct the drill bit in the center and the cup threads into the jig while it is clamped in your vise. I've been saving up to pull the trigger on going this route. The silencer shop sells them. www.silencershop.com

Thanks Steve but I'm already three weeks in...they grabbed the money instantly...lol

I dont sell guns any way...the huge majority that I no longer have were lost in a divorce...some really cool stuff to...my PSL haunts me constantly!

You owned guns ?
You got divorced ?
You lost the guns ?
You need to buy a boat.

My point was taking a possibly non-NFA item and making it one, and the drawbacks to that. I have an AR "pistol", with an arm brace. No need to register it as an SBR, because it is not. But if I did, why would someone pay $200 and wait months to get a stamp to buy mine when they can build their own?
Agreed Steve - The wait time to Form 1 an SBR is substantially shorter than buying one off the shelf and the wait time for a pistol is null. Buying an SBR one on-line, as I did in 2016, required a Form 4 transfer to my FFL - 4 months. The transfer to me took an additional 12 months almost to the day. Important to know, the transfer to me could not begin until my FFL was in physical possession of the firearm even though I had paid for it and "owned it." Also, SBRs may not be taken out of the State in which the owner(or Trust) resides without an approved 5320.20 Application for Transfer. A 5320.20 doesn't take very long to be approved (3 weeks) so long as you are meticulous in completing it. It must designate the exact address you plan to travel to (in my case an out of state range) and may only be issued for a 365 day date range. New form every year, new form for every address. I learned quite a bit in my first go w/BATFE and NFA items. If I had it to do again, probably would go the "pistol" route, and maybe Form 1 SBR.

Last edited:
If you'll do a search folks have been saying this about them forever yet they are still in business and thriving so I'd say the folks at Hawk have done their homework and succeeded
You are all grown men and can do what you want and you all know that your actions hold consequences , I'm not going to argue that point. I'm just not a person that wants to take a chance of being an example by the atf-- yes I have multiple form 1's , but I did more than just drill 1 hole.
For reference : in 2017, 3 companies were "visited" buy the atf for selling solvent trap parts-- "dark side defense", "solvent traps etc", & "sd tactical" all but sdta were shut down and reports said that customer data was consfiscated ( no proof of that though on the records). -- sdta no longer sells baffles of any kind and they now sell "barrel shrouds" not solvent traps-- the rumor was that they were allowed to stay in business with a loss of merchandise and a fine because they actually possess an ffl/sot license. But that may just be rumor

All of this is pretty much moot as like I said, I've never heard of anyone with a legit form 1 getting a knock on the door, but it could be a possibility some day and I'm not the one to take that chance

Just went to Silencer Shop web site and I must say the JK Armaments Modular Solvent Trap Kit is a very nice set up. The design is a lot like my SOS HUNTER. They both screw together externally.

Should make it pretty easy to have a replacement section in the event you have a baffle strike.

You owned guns ?
You got divorced ?
You lost the guns ?
You need to buy a boat.
🤣🤣🤣
I own 2 boats already...25' SeaCraft with twin 175hp Suzuki engines and a 19' Mako Pro Skiff with a 90hp Mec.

Lost a bunch of offshore rods and reels in that divorce too, but kept the big boat!

Man has to draw a line somewhere!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts