Diy elk hunt success poll

How many years did it take you to harvest an elk on a DIY trip?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 6-10

• 11+

• Never

• I got nothing, but someone in my party did, I will leave a comment to clarify

• Total voters

FrogFire7

Hi guys, planning a DIY hunt this year. I have talked to a fair number of acquaintances who have "been west" for elk, with varying degrees of success. I'm not a statistician by any means but I do like numbers, and thought it might be fun to see some other's experiences. I'm going for the experience, elk or no I'm going to come home happy!

If you feel like it, you can add a post with some details. I'm kind of interested in things like, were the people you went with experienced, did any of them tag out, etc.

Thanks guys!! :)

I hunt with my brother in eastern Utah... still looking for my first bull this year will be year 4, Elk permits in Utah are a PITA, even as a resident of the state. Seems revenue to Utah DNR is first and foremost

I have been involved with a multitude of DIY AZ elk hunts, as in no paid guides, for myself and several family members.
Myself, I am 3 for 3 out of about 28 years of applying. I have terrible luck in the draw, but make the best I can out of each tag. My last tag took me 18 years to get.
My 16 year old daughter is 3 for 3 in 5 years of applying.
My son-in-law is 1 for 3 in 4 years of applying.
My cousin is 1 for 5 I think in 25 years of applying.
Several other members of the family are about 50% success rates. Probably 20 for 40. Every hunt has had opportunities, but finding one they wanted to take at a distance that was obtainable, or sealing the deal after lots of effort has escaped some people.

I think, on average, 30% success rate is about an accurate estimate. Some guys go 90-100%, some guys go 0%. If you put in the time and energy, you should get a chance. Make the most out of it is where people fall short.

Just curious, where you going? Took me until my 3rd year (24 years old) into archery to harvest my first archery elk and actually first bull ever. But if we talk about rifle and say cow elk, first year I harvested one (12)

Just curious, where you going? Took me until my 3rd year (24 years old) into archery to harvest my first archery elk and actually first bull ever. But if we talk about rifle and say cow elk, first year I harvested one (12)

Probably colorado, thinking second rifle. I would think the odds would be a lot better for rifle, but I would LOVE to go out west for archery in a year or two!

did solo diy last october in nw colo. saw two cow elk first light first day and nothing the rest of the hunt. this year i will do more online scouting. because the roads went to crap, i didn't get up to the highest elevations in my unit, this year i will bring chains and/or atv so that i am not limited. that said, i covered a crap load of territory on foot and in truck and guess/hope the severe drought had a play in me not seeing much.

I'm 6/6 when it comes to elk. 3 draw tags 3 otc. 2 bull tags in Washington, 1 cow tag in Colorado, and 3 otc bull tags in Colorado.

You can be lucky, skilled, have money, put in the effort, etc to be more successful. For a brand new elk hunter going diy the thing that will help the most is getting in the best shape of your life and putting in the effort. You will gain the skills while out there. But it will be hard to learn if you can only hunt half assed because you are beat down after 2 days of hunting.

I'm 6/6 when it comes to elk. 3 draw tags 3 otc. 2 bull tags in Washington, 1 cow tag in Colorado, and 3 otc bull tags in Colorado.

You can be lucky, skilled, have money, put in the effort, etc to be more successful. For a brand new elk hunter going diy the thing that will help the most is getting in the best shape of your life and putting in the effort. You will gain the skills while out there. But it will be hard to learn if you can only hunt half assed because you are beat down after 2 days of hunting.

Great point. I would like to add if it's ok, learn as much about them as possible. I was never an elk hunter. By heart and way, I was a deer hunter. I have my areas and learned quite a bit about the deer there. But, i was tired of never having that "bull on the wall" always deer antlers/heads. Last season I kicked it up a notch, learned how to call, when to call, what type of call to use and where the elk will/should be at the time of day. The 2 seasons of archery before that I didnt look into that and honestly never did see an elk in those two seasons. I heard a couple bugles, not even mews in those seasons. Last season after learning, researching and watching videos as well as getting my arse in shape like dirtytough mentioned, I seen a total of 9 different bulls this past season, mine being the 9th and 2nd biggest. As well as many many cows. I watched Randy Newberg's escouting vids and ill say they helped tremendously.

I'm now more into elk hunting than deer hunting.

I'm 7 out of 8 since I started elk hunting 5 seasons ago. My first unsuccessful hunt was this year. It was an OTC archery in Oregon, and I missed a bull broadside at 58, so I had my chance. Before that I was 5/5. I managed to kill a great bull in NM with my bow and a bull in Idaho with my rifle this year, so it wasn't all that bad. 4 of my elk were draw tags. So I'm 3/4 on OTC. All oh my hunts were DIY and on public land.

Honestly, elk hunting is not that difficult if you're in shape.

What he said about being in shape x10
No B.S. WHATSOEVER either be in the best possible shape or try to find enjoyment in misery and failure
I've been on four 100% DIY elk hunts and were 100% successful each time 2 in NM 2 IN WY 2 6x6s 1 5x5 and one 4x4
All were limited entry units my hunting partner and I spent combined HUNDREDS of hours researching prior to choosing the unit and after getting drawn
All else being equal that you draw a unit with good numbers of legal bulls IMHO these things will make or brake your hunt
#1-As said be in Olympic good shape
#2-Very often over looked land navigation skills the hunter than can get 3,4,5, or more miles away from roads or trails without fear of getting lost is way ahead of the compititon don't bet your LIFE (literally) on GPS they can, do and WILL fail know howv to use a map and compass or accept loosing huge areas of likely the best elk habitat to those who can
#3-If you dont already know Google satellite pictures are your new best elk hunting friend get some killer good topo or what I used Arial photos and scout your area from home
#5-Glassing points you can't kill an elk that you can't first see and your best spot to see elk are from glassing points above where the elk hang out great glassing spots are gold and often not easily found this is a question (one of meny)for the units biologist
#4-when you talk to anyone about the unit have if possible both topo and APp's handy and if applicable a BLM map so you can mark as close exactly the actual areas or locations people tell ylu about and IMHO any information more the 2 or 3 years old about where the elk were might not be very helpfull try to get as recent info as you can
#6-if you choose a unit that allows quads have one or get you *** kicked by those who do who will fly by you as they close in on that bugling bull elk you just pined your hopes and dreams on not to mention almost your tag
#5-Calling less is more call only enough to get a bull to give his location away and enough to allow you to pinpoint as close as you can his position if you can here his bugles so can everyone else in ear shot and bulls really do become call shy again just like turkeys
#6-If you're not seeing it hearing slit if bulls during daylight try crusing the roads that scert the high point or rims of the vallys or drainage and listion for bugles as some times if to much pressure or to hot bulls will be more active after dark also while scouting or driving have your map and it GPS on hand and mark all points of interest you find well enough so you for certain can find that same location again
#7-All things being equal the earlier you can get in your unit and the more time you can spend scouting prior to opening day the better your odds are arriving with 5-7 days to scout is highly advisable
LASTLY-I could go on for pages but I'll finish with saying be brutally honest with yourself in setting REALISTIC expectations on what to expect in the type of bull you will likely kill
I had somewhat unrealistic expectations on my first elk hunt (NM ML hunt) because I was a complete novice despite that I managed to get within 300 yards of a great 6x6 only to blow it still managed to take a fine 4x4 though which brings me to my last advice don't hunt elk like there white tailed or mule deer they aren't your better to error on being slightly to aggressive than being to cautious I hesitated and it cost me a great bull but I learned and it helped me take my second bull a beautiful 340 class 6x6 4 years later in WY. The only animal I've hunted that are similar to elk are believe it or not turkeys in you always want to be above an elk no.matter what you're doing and just like a turkey you can call an elk up hill one heck of a lot easier than down hill unless you are legitimately in shape on par with a world class sprinter
It is next to impossible to successfully pursue a elk that is,already well out if rifle range heading to its bedding up a mountain and hope to close with in rifle range but if you are already above the bull it's much easier.
Best of luck and have fun

Should have been successful on my first. Figured out two animals later, that I had a bullet that was coming completely apart upon entering the animal. The two successful kills were both smaller animals, with broadside shots. The one that got away, only 60 yards away, last day or two of the season.....going away shot. Thought that I had a caliber and bullet, to make the shot very doable. With a different bullet.....I would have had one first year hunting elk! memtb

I'm one for two in CO. I hunt with one other guy and we have split on the two trips (he scored on the first trip and I did on the second). It's difficult to get more than one elk out in a week without horses or access with ATVs, especially for a couple flatlanders. I feel like our success is due to hard work and reaching areas that are difficult to get to, but we pay for it when we pack'em out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts