DIY Carbon fiber barrel?

Awaiting the CFW barrel range report. Hoping it's a thumbs up.
I have 2 really good shooting rifles that I have switched to cf. A 300wsm and finishing my 30-28 klr right now. Lots of data from the past from those two to compare. Hope it works cause they both shot really well :)

Here is the 28nosler barrel. Just needs cerakote on brake and action. Added red highlights in epoxy to see how it would turn out. Just noticed a drip in the clear. I wet sand with 1000 and hit with 1500 grit paste to give a satin finish
832F5B9F-9B5C-40F6-8501-E8EBF2EF82CC.jpeg
414E4813-553D-4835-A998-6E3DE3688669.jpeg

Finished my 30-28 klr up for testing. Don't laugh, cause it needs cerakote still. Took the weight from 10lb 6oz to 9lb 13oz. Only 9 oz saved but still enough to warrant the modification. Hopefully test it tomorrow or Thursday
DE4AED67-CDEC-4D29-B73A-B7B3422B79F8.jpeg

Here is the test from today with the 300wsm. same pet load that shot well before.
9E5F7AF3-9E84-4803-BA1F-A97037527F99.jpeg

20 minutes between 3 shot groups. I was cycling 4 rifles. Wind was changing and came .2 mil left on third and fourth groups

Last edited:
300yds? Looks good. The real question, is that similar, better, worse than before.
Yep, 300yds. 2" stickers. I have to get a pic of old groups with the same load. Seems to shoot the same except for the 2 fliers. Could be me, could be the barrel. Im sure it changed the harmonics so I will try a bit of load development to see how well I can dial it in.

Finished my 30-28 klr up for testing. Don't laugh, cause it needs cerakote still. Took the weight from 10lb 6oz to 9lb 13oz. Only 9 oz saved but still enough to warrant the modification. Hopefully test it tomorrow or Thursday
View attachment 227589
I watched a video of a guy shooting a group, then pull the CF barrel and smash a cinder block to pieces with it, spin it back on and shoot the same tiny group....that's what got me interested in CF more than the weight savings

I've been looking at all the different carbon fiber barrel options and have to say this looks like fun. I've done a tensioned carbon fiber tube on a 22LR before with pretty good results, but spinning carbon fiber onto my hunting rifle barrel seemed a little beyond what I wanted to tackle. Curious to see how it all turns out.

I've been looking at all the different carbon fiber barrel options and have to say this looks like fun. I've done a tensioned carbon fiber tube on a 22LR before with pretty good results, but spinning carbon fiber onto my hunting rifle barrel seemed a little beyond what I wanted to tackle. Curious to see how it all turns out.
Turned out good so far. I ordered a different epoxy to try out. Supposed to be the strongest high temp epoxy they had. Should be here next week

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts