DIY Alaska Caribou hunt

hwco1129

I am looking for recommendations on a drop camp caribou hunt. Have been doing alot of research and there is so much to filter through. 3 of us are looking to do a drop camp and wanted to see if anyone here recommended anyone that they have heard good things about or have experience with. Right now we would like to do a bush pilot trip but are open to anything. Thanks for the help!

HW

Look into the WAC... Western Arctic Caribou herd out of Kotzebue, or the Central flying out of Happy Valley just south of Deadhorse. Can be some good hunting out on the Seward Peninsula as well, that's were the current barren ground world record came from. Out on the pen there are some of the largest brown bears in the world also. I've hunted the Happy valley area from the road and there are lots of caribou out there, some big. Kotz in Sept would be my choice for a drop though

Thanks you 86alaskan! We have looked really hard at Kotzebue and saw they have a really good herd up there right now. Would you recommend any of the outfitters up there that do drop camps? We are also looking at areas between Coldfoot and Fairbanks. Would you have any knowledge about that area? Thanks again!

Well, no real outfitter knowledge. I live here, but do all my own outfitting and travel. I would say 90% of my hunts start where I park the truck and start hiking. A lot of caribou live out near Kotz and north of the brooks. I know that the central herd only moves south of the brooks during the winter, and that's only late october and later. I had a friend go to Kotz last year and their group shot a bunch of very large caribou in a very short amount of time. Don't totally write off Adak Island either. Not the same kind of hunt but a whole different adventure. I think Jim Shockey has guides on Adak or one of the surrounding islands.

Did a outfitted hunt through Deltana 2 years ago but I see they no longer offer that option. They might still fly you out of Happy Valley though if you have your own camp gear.
Looked like a bunch of planes there but Deltana's pilots went the extra effort to put us in bou. You could easily be left way out of the bou path ya know.

Enjoy the hiking, look for the green spots....much smoother ground

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts