DIY action fix

Mateo

On my remington 700 action I had a burr/ dent in the raceway. It was at the rear just under to scope base mount screws. It wasn't the screw holes, but closer to the rear. Anyway, I had to figure out a fix. This was a new action and it was messing up the PTG bolt by leaving 2 big scratches. I'm a fine woodworker and thought about making a dowel the right size and either wrapping it with 400-800 grit sandpaper or some polishing compound. While looking around the shop for some hardwood I saw my socket set and thought those might work. I have s deep socket set so they are nice and long. I measured a couple and sure enough, one measured right at .699 and one size down was .685. The raceway is around .703
The .699 socket barely fit. It was snug and at the back where the size was stamped it would get too tight. The .685 socked fit with just enough room for a strip of sandpaper. I used some 400 grit and right away I could tell by the sanding marks that the dent was indeed there. I would hold the socket in place with pressure where I needed it and would then draw the paper out from underneath the socket. Replace the paper and repeat. It was a bit slow but gave me great control and feel. My bolt feels a lot better with no more scratching. And the bolt still feels nice and tight. Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.