Dislike button?

Bad idea.

At first it sounds like a good idea, but then I recall other sites that are very adversarial and have cause to doubt the good of something like this.

I was raised with the philosophy that If you could not say anything good about someone then don't say anything at all. This doesn't mean that you cant disagree with them. Just explain why you think differently and give your reasoning and let the membership sort out which way is best for them.

I have been on some websites where personal attacks were the norm and nothing was ever resolved and posters were afraid to post in fear of being made to look stupid .

Also I have seen people attacked that were not guilty and the attacker was the wrongdoer. So even though sometimes it seems necessary it generally only does damage to the site.

Lens approach to this problem has always been spot on and has made this site what it is. I have digressed at times but knowing what Other sites are like, I try to stay on track with his philosophy.

It is ok to disagree, in fact it is healthy so I for one would caution against it and recommend more conversation instead of criticism.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

There is a logical reason why...

The First Amendment is about Free Speech......because the tyrannical British would kill people who spoke against the king & queen to keep their position of power....

The Second Amendment was written to give the private citizens the rights not only to keep and bare arms against thieves and other criminals and to provide a table with foods..but also to fight against their own government when the time come...
The Second Amendment is only second to the first because without those firearms the First Amendment would be a waste of breathe if the New Government decided to kill the opposition(and we see this in Russia and other countries again)...

If the ForeFathers had switched the two amendments the new government would have looked too perverse....placing "The Right to Bare Arms" in the second position gave birth to a new Nation...a nation of Rights granted to all and backed by Blood...a Nation hundreds of thousands have Stood for..Died for..since the Revolutionary War...and that we as a Free Nation have sent people to fight and die for others throughout the world....
To Fight for Life, Liberties and Freedoms...at the risk of Death...

This site is owed by Andy Backus...not the government...
First Amendment Rights here should be checked at the door...
A good discussion can be achieved without slandering someone's name...
Keep it honest..but keep it clean.....

The 1st amendment shouldn't be checked at the door. Its a right. Which is an inalienable right given to us by our creator. Its worded that way so no man or government can take it away. Having said that, they have the right to say it but the site owner also has the right to boot em. Common decency has been lost in our society for a long time, but this seems to be a big group of like minded individuals so remember, we are all on the same team

I like the like the like button. Simplifies supporting a position without cluttering a thread.

I thought the dislike button initially was a good idea. J E talked me out of it.

Maybe Steve (RockyMtnMT) is right, change the "Like" to "I Agree" and then maybe instead of "Dislike" have a "Disagree" button. Might sound a little less confrontational and spark conversation/debate. I tell people on here I disagree with what they posted from time to time and have never had any backlash from it. You guys is smart.

I think it better to disagree and explain why without confrontational meaning. I certainly have been guilty of getting too personal. It happens. I try harder not to.

Steve

A like signifies that that you thought something someone posted was, a.) informative or educational and you learned something you didn't know previously (the main reason I'm here), b.) puts something you already knew in a way someone who didn't know it can readily understand, or c.) particularly witty and you got a good laugh (better done on a few other sites but I don't learn much about shrinking group sizes there but do appreciate the humor).

I can disagree without disliking something. Reason usually works better than trying to flame someone. On those other sites, flaming others is the local sport and most take it in the good humor it is intended but some folks have pretty thin skin.

I don't need likes to boost my ego, but I appreciate knowing that someone got knowledge or just a chuckle out of something I added, just as I appreciate when someone enlightens me.

Howland,

When someone posts you are too stupid to have such a nice rifle or too stupid to have such a nice scope they are not doing it in humor. They are being a cyber-bully. When I first came here I came from another sight because of it. Then someone did the same thing here. The difference in this sight and the other is Len deleted all the guy's post the first day!

Howland,

When someone posts you are too stupid to have such a nice rifle or too stupid to have such a nice scope they are not doing it in humor. They are being a cyber-bully. When I first came here I came from another sight because of it. Then someone did the same thing here. The difference in this sight and the other is Len deleted all the guy's post the first day!

I enjoy other sites for the commeradery, the back-and-forth banter and keeping up on news and events in my little corner of the woods. I come here to learn and pick the brains of people that have much more experience at what I'm just getting back into (or maybe just more brains). Some folks forget where they are, just as some folks use McDonald's table manners in a fine restaurant.

Like calling someone a cyberbully. You put it most generously, sir. A couple other words would come to my mind first. Tact is telling someone they're open minded when they really have a hole in their head.

For now ...

ZJn4emz.jpg

ZvTsBXu.jpg

Brilliant!
Careful what you ask for (I guess), you might just get it.

So if you like someone's post it sends an alert, but if you unlike the like will it send another alert saying so? Is that passive-aggressive or Passive and aggressive?:):mad:

Nice idea, no, yes. I could send a :-( and like it at the same time for my indecisive days.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.