Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

Last edited:
I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
I'd step up to a 338 edge or Lapua!!! Sounds like the bullet performance was perfect.

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
Best is the Barnes 129 TTSX or LRX

I didn't read all the reply's so somebody probably already covered what I'm going to say. No experience with 156's. But 130 vld's out of a 260AI going 2800fps are exceptional on med sized game, I've had a pass through at 300 yds and dropped 300lb boar hog in his tracks, others dumped all energy inside. Nothing has gone far. All one shot kills. Very accurate. EOL's at 130yds wrong application IMO, but still did the job, and that's what matters.

156 EOL muzzle velocity 2965 out of a 6.5 SAUM. Shot was 441 yards and this is the exit wound. Antelope went 5 yards from point of impact approx. I have had great success from 441 to 697 with this bullet out of this rifle.

Attachments

• received_517799986474974.jpeg
    received_517799986474974.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 95
Whitetail aren't very heavily built or large down there. Ballistic Tip, Game King or similar would be my choice. If you must have a higher BC and a bit tougher bullet the ABLR or similar is an excellent choice.

156 EOL muzzle velocity 2965 out of a 6.5 SAUM. Shot was 441 yards and this is the exit wound. Antelope went 5 yards from point of impact approx. I have had great success from 441 to 697 with this bullet out of this rifle.
You have any pics of the opposite side or inside the ribs? The 170 EOL looks clean like this but the hits with the 115 VLD and 135 classic hunter blood shot the entire rib cage and shoulders. It was ugly!

I do not. I wish I had taken some. I love the eol and how it performs. I also understand that is designed for longer range hunting. I have not shot anything under 440 yards with one. I couldn't care less about exit wounds as I hunt the prairie of Montana with them.

I'm sure it has been said 100 times on the 20 something pages of this post but Bergers are not designed to pass through. They are made to enter the animal and disperse taking out as much as possible with the energy they have retained at the given yardage. If you looking for pass through go to the Hammer Hunters or Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubonds or Partitions, The Swift A-Frames or Scirocco's. They are made for penetrating shots and exit wounds. You're asking for that particular bullet to perform a task it was not deisgned to perform. I can't even tell you how many animals I have taken with Berger bullets but I can tell you very rarely do I ever remember seeing an exit would, except possibly on antelope.

I saw a cow taken over a 6.5-284 with the 156 Berger at 408 yards. Amazing wound channel and exit wound the size of a golf ball.

I'll be hunting a late draw tag for a buck here in a could weeks, should have some good pics of what the bullet can do!

Keith

On the 15 animals or so we've taken with the Berger bullets including elk, all but two have passed thru. There's a wake of complete destruction to the animals and they are all very dead. My issue is, as my own butcher and lover of venison they are very messy and it takes me hours to sort through the carnage trying to save a shoulder steak. Ha I'm a meat scrounge like no other. The pic of an antelope a few posts up looks very clean compared to what I have experienced. I think some models i.e. VLD, Hybrid, Elite Hunter and EOL's all react slightly different. The EH and EOL have passed thru for me, but the VLD have completely vaporized in side. 400 yds and further is a great place to use a Berger. Inside of that, I switch to a meat eater bullet like you recommended Hammers, Accubonds, Scirocco and Partition's.