Disappointed in non-resident hunters

Part of the problem is many of the hunters are the rich and don't think laws apply to them. Personally I can't afford $800 for an elk tag every year to hunt federal property that we pay just as much as residents do to maintain

Theres been a lot of talk about elk management here in SW Mt. the last couple years. The hunting here really is getting bad. I am friends with a couple ranch owners and know a lot of guys that hunt public. In my opinion, the biggest problem is too much access followed by too many hunters. Theres very little regulation, pretty much every region is over the counter brow tine bull tag. You can look at pretty much every range around and theres ridges roads on top, roads all over this whole county. With 4 wheelers and side by sides covering what seems like every inch of this country it should be no surprise that there are huge elk herds on ranches. We have driven them down there. The ranchers dont want them there. Cant even drive them off because theres a row of trucks sitting above them on public just waiting for one to step foot over the line then they shoot them right back on to private. No one will pass on a bull because there are hardly and decent ones in the area. So every rag horn gets shot before it has a chance to grow. Some point the finger at the rancher like its his fault, some point the finger an the truck hunter above the ranch, some point it at non res. The fact is theres a lot of animosity and its coming from lack of management in my opinion. This resource is for everyone but we have created a problem that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Theres been a lot of talk about elk management here in SW Mt. the last couple years. The hunting here really is getting bad. I am friends with a couple ranch owners and know a lot of guys that hunt public. In my opinion, the biggest problem is too much access followed by too many hunters. Theres very little regulation, pretty much every region is over the counter brow tine bull tag. You can look at pretty much every range around and theres ridges roads on top, roads all over this whole county. With 4 wheelers and side by sides covering what seems like every inch of this country it should be no surprise that there are huge elk herds on ranches. We have driven them down there. The ranchers dont want them there. Cant even drive them off because theres a row of trucks sitting above them on public just waiting for one to step foot over the line then they shoot them right back on to private. No one will pass on a bull because there are hardly and decent ones in the area. So every rag horn gets shot before it has a chance to grow. Some point the finger at the rancher like its his fault, some point the finger an the truck hunter above the ranch, some point it at non res. The fact is theres a lot of animosity and its coming from lack of management in my opinion. This recourse is for everyone but we have created a problem that needs to be fixed.
I agree with you.
I'd gladly wait the 3-5 years to hunt if I knew it wouldn't be overrun by hunters. That's my biggest worry whenever I head out on a hunt, being able to get away. Lots of hiking.

I live in Nevada..same experiences in Utah on a really expensive Elk hunt a few years back it was incredible, people dragging trees across roads, setting up fake camps, having Elk coming up the canyon right to me and having 3 hunters walk 50 yds in front of me while I am set up loaded and ready.
I am going to hunt on private land to fix the problem...Oh tried that too in Canada had a guy driving down a road on private property stop and shoot my doe decoy....4 pt or better area....
Been hunting all my life and never had these problems even 10 years ago, just has gotten so competitive..too much so.
Did you ask them if it tasted good? How was his shot placement? It doesn't matter they all get dumber by the day. Look at what's leading this country.

Last edited:
Theres been a lot of talk about elk management here in SW Mt. the last couple years. The hunting here really is getting bad. I am friends with a couple ranch owners and know a lot of guys that hunt public. In my opinion, the biggest problem is too much access followed by too many hunters. Theres very little regulation, pretty much every region is over the counter brow tine bull tag. You can look at pretty much every range around and theres ridges roads on top, roads all over this whole county. With 4 wheelers and side by sides covering what seems like every inch of this country it should be no surprise that there are huge elk herds on ranches. We have driven them down there. The ranchers dont want them there. Cant even drive them off because theres a row of trucks sitting above them on public just waiting for one to step foot over the line then they shoot them right back on to private. No one will pass on a bull because there are hardly and decent ones in the area. So every rag horn gets shot before it has a chance to grow. Some point the finger at the rancher like its his fault, some point the finger an the truck hunter above the ranch, some point it at non res. The fact is theres a lot of animosity and its coming from lack of management in my opinion. This recourse is for everyone but we have created a problem that needs to be fixed.
What is the definition of a brow tine bull tag ?
Thanks

I'm currently in Wyoming, have been since 2014. The public access to BLM lands still amazes me. I posted on a similar thread awhile back about out of staters blocking off roads with trailers and vehicles, leaving trash and 💩 everywhere.
761D057E-BF8B-4956-9BD8-9E1F512BDCBB.jpeg14F6B019-D5A2-422D-A937-ED8A8EFEC471.jpeg401795C2-8D0A-4DB7-B13B-38FE5CD97EBF.jpeg
That thing in the tree is a big azzed bra that came from a local who went and partied with these jackwagons for an upper Midwest state.
Those people showed up like friggin gypsies the day before elk rifle season with quads, side x sides, beer and and enough toilet paper to restock a Walmart. We picked up the beer cans and all the other litter but left the toilet paper, hahaha.
I have thought about mounting a can smasher in the truck, I'm OCD about litter.
It's not just the out of staters, we have locals that don't behave much better.
Those pics were from the 2019 season. I turned them and their plate numbers in and don't know what ever became of it.
My blood pressure is up and I haven't even had coffee yet
Jeeesh

I have a video of that spot but I will not share it, I was cursing a lot.🤬
I will also say that I have met some very respectful folks from out of state. Helped gut and drag critters, point out areas were game is at, etc.
The actual worst behavior comes from out of county residents, they roll in with all their toys and set up camps for weeks, like gold panners that think the whole drainage is theirs.

I'm currently in Wyoming, have been since 2014. The public access to BLM lands still amazes me. I posted on a similar thread awhile back about out of staters blocking off roads with trailers and vehicles, leaving trash and 💩 everywhere.
View attachment 333234View attachment 333235View attachment 333236
That thing in the tree is a big azzed bra that came from a local who went and partied with these jackwagons for an upper Midwest state.
Those people showed up like friggin gypsies the day before elk rifle season with quads, side x sides, beer and and enough toilet paper to restock a Walmart. We picked up the beer cans and all the other litter but left the toilet paper, hahaha.
I have thought about mounting a can smasher in the truck, I'm OCD about litter.
It's not just the out of staters, we have locals that don't behave much better.
Those pics were from the 2019 season. I turned them and their plate numbers in and don't know what ever became of it.
My blood pressure is up and I haven't even had coffee yet
Jeeesh
The useless people who left that mess are not hunters. They are wannabes who think they are going on a vacation to party. Sickening.

I hate to say it but .......... most of the discourteous, unethical or illegal activity that I have witnessed over the years has been by locals (residents) who think that the rules don't apply to them.

I hunt out of state all the time. I make it my business to know the relevant laws of the state and to carefully comply. I try to be a good steward of the land that has hosted my hunt, public or private. Conversations with local hunters has often revealed how some "hunters" habitually skirt the laws or disregard regulations in an effort to take game. The failure to tag game, with the intention of reusing the tag in the future, does not seem uncommon.

IME, non-residents seem MORE likely to play by the rules whether they are printed or just normal ethical standards. Residents often know their way around the neighborhood, if you know what I mean.

Just my observations.

Last edited:
Alex I agrree with your post on access hunter numbers etc.I grew up hunting hard access wilderness,roadless areas.I always found elk,it was tough and didnt see much.I many times never saw another boot print.Once the wolf took hold it all changed.Area tough winters,deep snow,wolf wiped out elk and deer. I went this year on loop I use to hunt,14 miles.Im older now forgot how far,barely made it,my knees gave out.Saw one deer track,and jumped big black bear,that I just missed seeing.Ive been going to east side trying to learn new spots.Wow what a dissapointing eye opener.I was near Lima,and yes elk,but massive camps everywhere,along with the 4wheelers .Also all over where they are not suppose to be.In my exploring I found some elk and was tracking good tack,for 2 days.Was in first light,heard shot,came out 4 wheeler tracks,leaving road at NO OFFROAD USE SIGN.They came out with 340 type 7 pt bull, where local to MT.Very dissapointing.The only positive is I did find elk and somewhat,less people.Been trying to find a new elk spot for last 10 years

Last edited:
Alex I agrree with your post on access hunter numbers etc.I grew up hunting hard access wilderness,roadless areas.I always found elk,it was tough and didnt see much.I many times never saw another boot print.Once the wolf took hold it all changed.Area tough winters,deep snow,wolf wiped out elk and deer. I went this year on loop I use to hunt,14 miles.Im older now forgot how far,barely made it,my knees gave out.Saw one deer track,and jumber big black bear,that I just missed seeing.Ive been going to east side trying to learn new spots.Wow what a dissapointing eye opener.I was near Lima,and yes elk,but massive camps everywhere,along with the 4wheelers .Also all over where they are not suppose to be.In my exploring I found some elk and was tracking good tack,for 2 days.Was in first light,heard shot,came out 4 wheeler tracks,leaving road at ON OFFROAD USE SIGN.They came out with 340 type 7 pt bull, where local to MT.Very dissapointing.The only positive is I did find elk and somewhat,less people.Been trying to find a new elk spot for last 10 years
I hear stories like yours all the time. Its common. A buddy had a similar issue this year. Truck on a closed road came up on him and he got the plate numbers, gave it to the warden. He was told there was nothing he could do unless he personally saw it. Didnt even want the number. Everyone including the ranchers want the elk herds back up in the mountains and broken up into more dispersed herds. If any type of disease or something like cwd was to get into the 2k head sitting on a pivot thats going to be bad. But as long as we pressure them like we are it wont change. The elk numbers are high, so they will give out more tags again, but they are counting elk that are not hunt-able elk.