Disappointed in non-resident hunters

Amen šŸ™ that is why I don't hunt out of state to many Winers All they want is your money come spend your money by their licenses to hunt in their States and then complain and then complain about everything all the time

I hunt pretty much drive through the west most years and hunt multiple states. I never hear anyone complainingā€¦ because I avoid everyone.

I don't hire anyone and don't spend any money on any one state outside of gas and licensingā€¦

I live in Nevada..same experiences in Utah on a really expensive Elk hunt a few years back it was incredible, people dragging trees across roads, setting up fake camps, having Elk coming up the canyon right to me and having 3 hunters walk 50 yds in front of me while I am set up loaded and ready.
I am going to hunt on private land to fix the problem...Oh tried that too in Canada had a guy driving down a road on private property stop and shoot my doe decoy....4 pt or better area....
Been hunting all my life and never had these problems even 10 years ago, just has gotten so competitive..too much so.

I have had similar experiences in CO. , I won't go into , but some residents don't like it if you out hunt them.
,It seems that the Internet and YouTube ,onX and social media has made longrange hunting and hunting a little more popular . They make it look easy on YouTube . Years back you couldn't just click on YouTube and watch all the hunting you wanted, and guys knocking over elk at 1000 yds, No such thing existed.
I don't find any part of elk hunting easy. Listen , I'm not knocking or blaming the Internet or onX ,or any one thing , the things mentioned are just part of the reason that the public lands are sometimes over crowed and that contributes to the mess.
On the bright side look at all the fairly new longrange custom gun shops that never existed, and suppliers of all the parts, ammo , etc, the list goes on, seems like gun manufacturers all have a long range model now.
The game has changed a little.

I've hunted as a nonresident for the last 11 years in a row between Wyoming and Utah. I haven't had one complaint nor have felt unwelcomed by the locals. All DIY hunts on public land. I respect where I am, never leave a mess, and talk with the people I meet. I am a guest there regardless of the BLM land or national forests. I'd expect the same here in Northern MN when nonresidents (or out of area folks) come up to hunt or four wheel in our state and national forests. One main difference is, those of us who aren't lucky enough to live and enjoy the western states, don't really experience the inrush of nonresidents that they do. Just my $.02

I live in Nevada..same experiences in Utah on a really expensive Elk hunt a few years back it was incredible, people dragging trees across roads, setting up fake camps, having Elk coming up the canyon right to me and having 3 hunters walk 50 yds in front of me while I am set up loaded and ready.
I am going to hunt on private land to fix the problem...Oh tried that too in Canada had a guy driving down a road on private property stop and shoot my doe decoy....4 pt or better area....
Been hunting all my life and never had these problems even 10 years ago, just has gotten so competitive..too much so.
Your last sentence sums up hunting and fishing as we know it todayā€¦

A Competition driven sport that benefits whoā€¦retail, industry, realtors, and media related types
Hunters can "buy into" greatness, access and fame, with very little skill involved
Go spent a ton of money on gear and equipment, as well as vehicles and land
And Viola! You're a top tier hunter
Go post your pics on Social Media platforms and you are famous..whether it's locally or regionally

And along with that lack of true hunting skills, and lack of reverence for other hunters, is a lack of true love for the sport's true natureā€¦being outdoors and enjoying Mother Nature

I've hunted as a nonresident for the last 11 years in a row between Wyoming and Utah. I haven't had one complaint nor have felt unwelcomed by the locals. All DIY hunts on public land. I respect where I am, never leave a mess, and talk with the people I meet. I am a guest there regardless of the BLM land or national forests. I'd expect the same here in Northern MN when nonresidents (or out of area folks) come up to hunt or four wheel in our state and national forests. One main difference is, those of us who aren't lucky enough to live and enjoy the western states, don't really experience the inrush of nonresidents that they do. Just my $.02
Hope your streak continues ,for 11 more!, wish we all were as lucky as you have been , but as you have read a lot of guys have had some unpleasant experience with hunting out of state.

Hope your streak continues ,for 11 more!, wish we all were as lucky as you have been , but as you have read a lot of guys have had some unpleasant experience with hunting out of state.
Well I hope so. It's disheartening to hear of these issues some have had or are having. I guess if I end up around some "less tolerant" residents, I'll be added to the list of unhappy travelers.

Old thread but it's everywhere. Doesn't matter the state. It's people not the license plate on their truck.... people just suck. Go hunt public anywhere, there's always some yahoo's that don't care. Whether they use your stand on the east coast or drive their atvs right into where you are glassing after stopping and staring at you. The only time I don't have issues is when I don't see anyone else.

49 out of 50 times we are all non-residents. I've been fortunate to have great experiences with non-residents, especially those from the midwest, and I've been treated really well in other western states as well. In 2020 I was hunting alone in CO and two men from MN invited me to camp near them so someone would know where to look if the old guy didn't come back. That same year a dozen folks in AZ stayed after their camp had filled their tags in order to help me be successful on elk. People can be rude, but I try to speak to people and help them when I can; its amazing how many great people you meet that way and a few of those have even became close friends. Play nice; enjoy life.