Disappointed in non-resident hunters

Okay installment 2 of my opinions.. I have been reading lots of negativity here.
I have been in several states hunting, I have seen many people in state while out of state and in my home state hunting. there is no exclusivity to bad behavior. I have seen instate hunters be equally if not worse than visitors. I have seen visitors be hellish and disrespectful. I believe I have just about seen it all, but I know I have not. I have been in both positions. Visiting and Native out in the field. I have seen too many times both resident and non-resident take "sound shots". some of those shots came my way when a branch broke or a leaf wiggled from the wind. I've nearly died from a fellow hunters bullet errantly/neglegently coming my way. I am not sure anyone is immune from this.
I am not sure what to think about a lot of these complaints nor should I really care. I try to mentor each and every bad hunter I meet to be better and follow rules and use "common sense". I am not usually listened to but I still try.
I could complain a lot about the few fellow hunters I have run across and I could really demean the Departments of natural resources I have found to be detestable in my life. what is it going to do to fix them or make them better? the individual states have to clean up their acts and straighten up their rules and rule keepers.
As for the individual hunters; we should be the guides and show them how to be better.

As I see this thread has gone from hunting to politics and the bad choices the biologists and the gov have made. this was supposed to be a thread about one thing and had widened to an over all "us" versus "them". I happen to agree with about 99% of you. the California cancer/attitude has eroded many great states, including California, MY home state. I have lived in 6 states now. I loved each of them for what they had to offer. with California it was the abundant beauty of the land.. the people, the gov, the cancerous liberal attitude, and the overwhelming beratement of people like me and you all out there has made it impossible for hunters and outdoorsmen to even set foot in that communist land. And YES, that cancer is spreading. it's planned to spread b the communist heads of the communist party in Cali. and Washington DC/New York state. the state I currently live is suffering from "California proximity syndrome" the Calif. residents are fleeing the communist rule and then voting and acting if they were still there. bringing their communist attitude and voting to a formerly non-communits state. you should see the wasteland worth of bad laws that have beseaged this state of Nevada. our concealed carry laws used to be very good. now we are criminals if we have to defend ourselves. being treated as if you were a murderer just because you had to defend your life inside your house or whie out in public. what it was 10 years ago, is not what it is now. I have no use for the scourge of California Communists. I wish we could get the conservative Californians and not the dregs of California society.
You have got that right. I had a friend several years ago thinking that Montana was putting up gates at the borders. There was rifle range at each place. The question was how many guns are you bring. If none, then they were told to go back to California. If you have 5 firearms you have to go to the range and shoot to show you hit what what you aiming at. If said you had 25 or more firearms, they would tell to go ahead. In Montana a lot of Game biologists left the department, because couldn't stand with what was being done to the game management. We are raising hell in Wyoming because again they are trying to overstep the biologists. I thing we got it stopped. As I said before I hunt for B&C only. Gone home without anything. How many time I could have filled my tags on smaller animal I don't even count. I watch what is going on, and limit my hunting to that. That can be small game, birds, and large game. I have hunted Nev. several years over the years. They have some very nice Muley Bucks. There were lots of times that I could have taken nice 4 x 4's, but again it didn't fill the size I was looking for. I have seen them several time, but couldn't close the gap with my bow in hand. I also Know that the leaders changed the hunting rules too over biologist objections. To bad too!!! As far as somebody shooting at me. They better make it count. That become a whole different dimension with me. Most of the time I won't even hunt if I feel there to many people in the area. I will look for a different area.
Take care.

Okay installment 2 of my opinions.. I have been reading lots of negativity here.
I have been in several states hunting, I have seen many people in state while out of state and in my home state hunting. there is no exclusivity to bad behavior. I have seen instate hunters be equally if not worse than visitors. I have seen visitors be hellish and disrespectful. I believe I have just about seen it all, but I know I have not. I have been in both positions. Visiting and Native out in the field. I have seen too many times both resident and non-resident take "sound shots". some of those shots came my way when a branch broke or a leaf wiggled from the wind. I've nearly died from a fellow hunters bullet errantly/neglegently coming my way. I am not sure anyone is immune from this.
I am not sure what to think about a lot of these complaints nor should I really care. I try to mentor each and every bad hunter I meet to be better and follow rules and use "common sense". I am not usually listened to but I still try.
I could complain a lot about the few fellow hunters I have run across and I could really demean the Departments of natural resources I have found to be detestable in my life. what is it going to do to fix them or make them better? the individual states have to clean up their acts and straighten up their rules and rule keepers.
As for the individual hunters; we should be the guides and show them how to be better.

As I see this thread has gone from hunting to politics and the bad choices the biologists and the gov have made. this was supposed to be a thread about one thing and had widened to an over all "us" versus "them". I happen to agree with about 99% of you. the California cancer/attitude has eroded many great states, including California, MY home state. I have lived in 6 states now. I loved each of them for what they had to offer. with California it was the abundant beauty of the land.. the people, the gov, the cancerous liberal attitude, and the overwhelming beratement of people like me and you all out there has made it impossible for hunters and outdoorsmen to even set foot in that communist land. And YES, that cancer is spreading. it's planned to spread b the communist heads of the communist party in Cali. and Washington DC/New York state. the state I currently live is suffering from "California proximity syndrome" the Calif. residents are fleeing the communist rule and then voting and acting if they were still there. bringing their communist attitude and voting to a formerly non-communits state. you should see the wasteland worth of bad laws that have beseaged this state of Nevada. our concealed carry laws used to be very good. now we are criminals if we have to defend ourselves. being treated as if you were a murderer just because you had to defend your life inside your house or whie out in public. what it was 10 years ago, is not what it is now. I have no use for the scourge of California Communists. I wish we could get the conservative Californians and not the dregs of California society.
^^^^^ what he said. Liberalism is a cancer that destroys anything it touches.....and even things it doesn't

I have forever, where ever I camp clear-up after somebody has been there. Only a few times I didn't have to cleanup after somebody else. What I couldn't burn I hauled out. I don't brake glass, and rake up others.
I have tract game for others, that weren't in hunting group I was in, to retrieve their animals.

Last edited:
It seems that a point that we all agree on is that we most likely will confront BAD FOLKS, residents and non-residents, while hunting. Those folks may be BAD CITIZENS, as well. My first unpleasant experience occurred when I, a 14 year old "hayseed", politely requested that two poachers (waterfowl) leave our Minnesota farm when I discovered them shooting birds without our permission (required by law) on a small pasture pond. They peppered me with many shots of lead shot fired into the trees above my head. That was a rude awakening for a good little Altar Boy and in following years, I carried a rifle with me when approaching trespassers. I later retired, after 33 years of USAF flying, in WA...... in 1998 the State still had good salmon fishing and accessible elk hunting. Wow! What a mistake! WA is well on its way to becoming a **** hole like California. As a result, if I hunt big game it's as a non-resident in Montana or recently, ranch hunting in Easter Oregon. I would suggest to our Montana brothers that you cannot find a trace of my having hunted many years in your state, but your wildlife managers have enjoyed receiving and spending the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have spent there. I've not even left a footprint on your hallowed ground. We love the place and its citizens. I should mention that the only reason my wife, also retired USAF, and I have not moved to Montana is that Californians beat us to it, with big bucks, and are ruining your state, too. However, if we were to move and live there, we hope that you would find that we are good citizens and good, generous neighbors. And good sportsmen. The bottom line is that, throughout our beloved USA, GOOD CITIZENSHIP is no longer a COVETED VIRTUE. We know what's missing from that equation. God Bless America.

It seems that a point that we all agree on is that we most likely will confront BAD FOLKS, residents and non-residents, while hunting. Those folks may be BAD CITIZENS, as well. My first unpleasant experience occurred when I, a 14 year old "hayseed", politely requested that two poachers (waterfowl) leave our Minnesota farm when I discovered them shooting birds without our permission (required by law) on a small pasture pond. They peppered me with many shots of lead shot fired into the trees above my head. That was a rude awakening for a good little Altar Boy and in following years, I carried a rifle with me when approaching trespassers. I later retired, after 33 years of USAF flying, in WA...... in 1998 the State still had good salmon fishing and accessible elk hunting. Wow! What a mistake! WA is well on its way to becoming a **** hole like California. As a result, if I hunt big game it's as a non-resident in Montana or recently, ranch hunting in Easter Oregon. I would suggest to our Montana brothers that you cannot find a trace of my having hunted many years in your state, but your wildlife managers have enjoyed receiving and spending the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have spent there. I've not even left a footprint on your hallowed ground. We love the place and its citizens. I should mention that the only reason my wife, also retired USAF, and I have not moved to Montana is that Californians beat us to it, with big bucks, and are ruining your state, too. However, if we were to move and live there, we hope that you would find that we are good citizens and good, generous neighbors. And good sportsmen. The bottom line is that, throughout our beloved USA, GOOD CITIZENSHIP is no longer a COVETED VIRTUE. We know what's missing from that equation. God Bless America.
The only thing you find from me is some firewood, and a rocked fire ring, that was probable there from others. Your are right in driving up prices. A lot of them aren't lib's. I have met police officers, and other law enforcement people that are from Mex-lifornia. It's petty much live and let live there.

Idiocy doesn't have a particular zip code, and their are non resident hunters who do have etiquette and are very thankful to hunt in the one of the premier states. I live in a small town between Seattle and Portland and I don't agree with anyone who would broad brush stereotype me as an non resident without etiquette because of where I live and work. The campfire thing is either ignorance or idiocy. Had a drunk driver not t boned me last week I would've been leaving on my first out of state trip to Idaho, something I've looked forward to my whole life, and my etiquette would have gone with me.
I hope you heal swiftly.

Idiocy doesn't have a particular zip code, and their are non resident hunters who do have etiquette and are very thankful to hunt in the one of the premier states. I live in a small town between Seattle and Portland and I don't agree with anyone who would broad brush stereotype me as an non resident without etiquette because of where I live and work. The campfire thing is either ignorance or idiocy. Had a drunk driver not t boned me last week I would've been leaving on my first out of state trip to Idaho, something I've looked forward to my whole life, and my etiquette would have gone with me.
DUI Drivers: In Helen Mt. several years back there was a school bus driver in the morning hit a school kid at the bus stop and broke her leg. He drove off and left her there. The police catch up with him. He had 12 priors, and that made his 13th one. Before He when to court, he got his 14th one. I was a volunteer fireman for 8 years. Saw a lot of drunk driver TC during that time. It's to bad, that people don't smarten up. Now we got illegal going to be driving around. Our fearless leaders at Washington are helping us out.

I get it that its all federal land...I'm talking about etiquette. You just don't part on top of someone and start hunting. Its no different then somebody putting a tree stand up 5 feet below you in the same tree.

Bingo!!

I see folks getting upset with all the people Hanging out down on the river im Kingston all summer. Mostly Washington. Lot of people on the River. People that live there get ****ed. I get it. But I try to look at the flip side of it too, those are American families, spending time together outdoors and enjoying Gods creation. Same Thing my parents did with me and something a lot more families need to do together.

So long as you leave it better than you found it, pack it in, pack it out, and show some common courtesy to your neighbors,and the residents that live there.

Don't spray paint up the rocks faces. Leave your trash, , cut down trees on someone private property for your fire wood and don't park on the roads.

blows my mind that people think that's acceptable behavior

Last edited:
Bingo!!

I see folks getting upset with all the people Hanging out down on the river im Kingston all summer. Mostly Washington. Lot of people on the River. People that live there get ****ed. I get it. But I try to look at the flip side of it too, those are American families, spending time together outdoors and enjoying Gods creation. Same Thing my parents did with me and something a lot more families need to do together.

So long as you leave it better than you found it, pack it in, pack it out, and show some common courtesy to your neighbors,and the residents that live there.

Don't spray paint up the rocks faces. Leave your trash, , cut down trees on someone private property for your fire wood and don't park on the roads.

blows my mind that people think that's acceptable behavior
I feel the same way. My family loves the National Parks, and it makes me shake my head in discuss when I see all of the trash left behind. We always come back from hikes with other peoples trash.

Agreed

Sorry to hear that Sockeye66. Hope your doing well. That's enough to knock the wind out of you not making Idaho. Double check your unit make they don't have a late muzzle loader elk in Dec. if your up to it. Hang in There.

I'm tired about western states crying about nonresident hunters. I just returned from Colorado's Combined Third OTC Elk. Colorado closed roads to benefit private ranches, which results in them having more private land at the expense of all others. They sold 280 deer tags for the combined second season in the GMU I hunted, where they only sold 5 last year, in addition to the elk tags. The result was only seeing elk on private fenced property. The Gunnison Parks office catered to residents that walked in behind us and attempted to cut in line by calling the workers by name and waking ahead. It wasn't until I spoke up that the workers corrected themselves and the problem they created. Nonresidents by far spend more money than the residents on hunting activities in your states. You bettered realize where your funding is coming from before it's too late. I spent more in application fees, points mandatory small game license, then a combined fishing license before I ever left home, than ANY resident will in 4-5 years. Colorado is sinking fast, and you residents need to upright your ship before it's too late. You have allowed wolves to be voted in, and will soon be seeing the results of your inaction, as now PETA has large voice now in YOUR game management.

Recent Posts