Disappointed in non-resident hunters

Blocking off blm or federal/state land is a different story all in its own stop voting in liberals that don't fallow the rules and do what they want when they want or there rich buddy's who want to get richer.

1 Prime example Obamacare just pass it and we'll figure it out yet no congressman,house or senat representatives had to go on it or fallow it oh and now it is a tax so it is legal.
Vote them out!

I have seen it with my own 2 eyes

I mean can you blame the rich buddies for going up and buying up dirt and then getting paid a ton of money to go in and grow crops and then have it destroyed as they put it by elk and deer so that you can get landowner tags/compensation tags and then get an outfitter to buy 10 of them off of you for $15,000 and he turns around and sells it for $20,000 just for a tag and then a hunt for another $20,000 cuz it happens in Nevada. Why wouldn't they keep you out they (animals) could move to BLM,state/federal land and now some guy who drew a tag has a chance at a 190" trophy mule deer. It is a easy answer call you senator buddy and b!tch about it and get him to make a BS law to change it.
I have watch are game commission get shut down more than once for the stated above.
Like I said VOTE THEM OUT.
I wish it were that easy, the access/corner hopping issue in Mt. has been a political issue in this state since the 70s. The sportsman access associations here have fought it thru both Replubican and Democratic administrations over the years. We have had busloads of hunters show up at the capital during the legislative sessions over the years and the issue doesnt even make it to the floor so that our voices can be heard. It doesnt seem to matter which side of the political fence you are on - it has been a no go area in this state. If you are a politician and your constituents/donor/voters are wealthy landowners or ranchers that have used the land as their own for years and don't want the public on it then the issue has always taken a backseat to private interests. We haven't even got the opportunity to present the positive economic impact that hunters,fisherman,hikers etc.. bring to the table. So having said that, voting them out or voting the right person in has had no impact thus far. And HELL YEAH I have every right to bitch about it.! We live here, work here and pay taxes here, but the out of staters that are shutting access off to public land do none of these!! They are part-time residents that live elsewhere and come to visit occasionally or just during hunting season. You are fortunate to live in a state where it works. I wish it did here.

I have lived in 3 states. I have never hunted out of my resident state, thats my choice. I think that residents see the game year round and also tend to camp and "live" in that land so it becomes their home. So they become protective of it, thats a good thing. There are plenty of local slobs, thats a fact. But you are still traveling to their towns so there will always be that. All I can say is that there is only so much "west" and it can only support so many hunters. I doubt things will get much better. I live in a very small town in Montana and can say the local attitude is not anti-out of state, its anti arrogant a-hole. There are a good amount of people here that believe if you want to hunt here you should take the pay cut and live here, however.
I totally agree! It is that arrogant sense of entitlement and disregard for morals and ethics.

I'm going to have to pay a little bit more attention to what goes on in other states besides their hunting regulations and what tags I can get.That is a very scary situation and is horrible as this sounds with the infiltration of Californians and their liberal policies in Nevada I'm seeing slight changes that I dislike and as nevadans we've been able to control it within reason this scares the hell out of me.
And I'm not just bagging on Californians because I know there's good people over there I know there's conservative people over there but I got a bone to pick with most people that move out of state, If your state's so good why are you leaving why would you go to another state and try to change it into what your state was why did you leave to begin with.

I'm disturbed by this idea that non resident hunters are to blame for the state of hunting ! I have never once felt that non resident hunters in my state are better or worse than any other hunter. I admit that they may bring their ideas with them to my state but besides that there are good and bad people . So what do you guy think , only hunt your own state ? One reason i like this site so much is to experience the common love for guns and hunting. So should I only converse with Maryland hunters? Like I posted before , I have hunted and fished in many states , I try to be respectful and I obey the law ! I don't like to be treated poorly or jerked around and I certainly don't do that to my fellow hunters. I'm sorry I have met some great people in other states and from other states hunting in my own. I've learned different ways to hunt and it has added to my life's experience ! Why would I ever want to stop someone else the same chance. Guys I can't say this anymore clearly , yes there are idiot non resident hunters out there and just as many local jerks as well! Don't think so come and visit me and I'll let you meet some of the local talent! Guess what I'm sure your state has as many also!
I was in a camp in South Carolina hunting Virginia whitetail with this group of firemen from New Jersey. I live in MS. We had another group from Geogia. They cut up, were loud, raucous, and used language that would make a sailor blush... and by the time we left, I knew they were some of the most scrupulous, responsible, ethical, and nicest people I'd ever met. Some had been at 9/11 and lost friends there. I'd go hunting with any of those guys any day. I enjoyed listening to their stories and banter at the lodge almost as much as the hunting. I met a nice young guy from PA when I was in Nevada mule deer hunting, and he was also probably one of the nicest and most conscientious people I've had the pleasure of meeting. Then there was this one guy in Alabama from Michigan's Upper Peninsula who disobeyed half the rules and wound up killing a yearling buck with nubs and trying to skip out. There are bad apples. Perhaps more from some places than others, but I can name at least 10 hunters in Mississippi, most of whom I grew up with or around, that I wouldn't have hunting anywhere near me because of their arrogance and disregard for not only regulations and property, but the animals for which they encounter.

Bottom line is anywhere you have anyone that feels entitled, there will be issues. FWIW, I don't believe the state government in any state should allow a complete land locking of public lands. Deeds should be made to come with easements prohibiting fencing or denying access to foot traffic along that strip. It doesn't have to be more than 3 feet wide, and it should be checked for accessibility at least annually (by air would be the easiest and best way). Also, anyone should be allowed to cut any brush, trees, or vines impinging on the trail. Blocking or preventing access or passage by blockade or any other means should be a federal crime punishable by several thousand dollars fine plus the cost to clean up the trail. 2nd offense is double that plus 6 months in federal prison. That assumes you have Wardens and prosecutors that will enforce the law and penalties against the super wealthy land buyers.

Just my 2 cents.

I find it interesting that there is such little regard for private property rights. I know if I found you wondering around my ranch you would have a very long day.
Private property rights should be accepted and enforced by law enforcement, all hunters should not only abide by the law, I believe that hunters also should turn people in when they see someone violating a private landowners wishes and or breaking the law. We have lost access to private land because slob hunters, poachers etc.. I know of several landowners that have closed their ground to hunters because of issues such as Leaving gates open that were closed or vice/versa, cut fences, blowing thru road closures due to muddy conditions-trashing the roads and shooting animals only to leave them to go to waste because they wern't big enough or they were herd shooting and killed multiple animals. Ethical hunters pay the price for these @#^%holes. But what I am talking about here is a totally separate issue. The distinction being WEALTHY ENTITLED NON RESIDENTS BUYING UP LARGE RANCHES THAT HAD LEGAL EASEMENTS TO ACCESS FEDERAL,STATE,BLM,BUREAU OF RECLAMATION LANDS ETC.. and have locked the gates BLOCKING LEGAL ACCESS and suing to close the easements, tying it up in the courts because they have the money and a staff of attorneys to do so. One example is a guy in north central MT. who tore down a county bridge at the cost of 250,000.00 to replace-[ he lost the lawsuit in court, fined 250,000 to replace the bridge ] the last time I talked to the game warden in the area, the guy appealed the decision and is still tied up in court. In the meantime - NO ACCESS- until it is resolved this has been going on for at least 5 yrs. This is just 1 example of what is happening to 1 degree or another all across the state of Mt. IT DOESNT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT WHY NON RESIDENTS ARE FROWNED UPON BY THE RESIDENTS !!! When you come to our state and treat us like dirt and have no respect for our values and rights dont expect to be treated with respect!! RESPECT IS EARNED NOT A GIVEN. One more thing when speaking with the Ranchers and Farmers whose land borders these ENTITLED NEW LANDOWNERS, almost every one of them will tell you they are terrible neighbors- no respect for the native landowners property rights.

Hey, I understand your frustration. It sucks that someone started hunting the same BLM land as you were, but BLM land is owned by every US citizen, not just the people that live in "your" state. Might be starting a bit of a fight here, but I live in AK where most of the land is federal and owned by all of us, and that same thing happens here all the time. You try and talk with people and work it out, but sometimes people just don't care. They're going to do want they want. The whole issues with the fires is on a different level, you should have reported them.
Hi Ricky, l agree with you completely on this Fed lands belonging to us ALL.. l was reading on the puter awhile back. lt seems 45% of Cali is Federal lands. Rick, that means you and l own almost HALF of California. l better not say it too loud..Gov Grabbin Gavin Newsom might try and send us a tax BILL💩

Hi Ricky, l agree with you completely on this Fed lands belonging to us ALL.. l was reading on the puter awhile back. lt seems 45% of Cali is Federal lands. Rick, that means you and l own almost HALF of California. l better not say it too loud..Gov Grabbin Gavin Newsom might try and send us a tax BILL💩
That is correct, if you come to Mt then you can pick up a state lands permit-reqd for both residents and non residents which allows you to recreate on state lands as well as all Federal lands. So yeah these landowners are shutting everyone out of public lands. We as residents deal with it on a year round basis, it doesnt matter whether you are hunting,fishing,hiking, camping,horn hunting,rockhounding etc.. you are locked out of public ground.

It is indeed but I was referencing what I actually saw & experienced myself - both resident and non-resident.

This might sting alittle as a non-resident from Texas.......In 2015 Wyoming game wardens placed a robotic decoy of a small bull elk off the side of the road in the area I was hunting. They were also doing studies of how the blow-down has affected hunters so they handed out GPS units and asked you to turn them on when hunting. I asked one of them about the robotic bull and how effective it was. Non-residents outnumbered residents 10:1 for sticking a barrel out the window and shooting the fake bull - 6 were Texans (sorry Brandon). The one resident got out of the truck because he wanted to be legal but he still shot across the road.
If I were a game warden, I think I would never get tired of this interdiction tactic!

Zero tolerance for carelessness with fire. That would go for any year, but it goes double this year. Conditions are dry and we have lost so very much to wild fires!

As to the resident/non-resident debate, I think this is a false choice, a meaningless distinction. Non-resident is an easy way to paint a bunch of people as "other," after which one can feel a little superior or perhaps cut them less slack than the locals for infractions. There are plenty of jerks in this world, and they are jerks whether they are in their own state of residence or any of the other 49.

I am in favor of documenting and reporting violations of the law, whether by residents or non-residents. Way too much ground for LE to effectively cover.

As a Utah resident, I will gladly stop traveling to Wyoming for hunting as soon as Wyoming residents stop traveling to Utah to shop in our Costco's and use the WiFi in our McDonald's.

I get it that its all federal land...I'm talking about etiquette. You just don't part on top of someone and start hunting. Its no different then somebody putting a tree stand up 5 feet below you in the same tree.
That 5' below isn't all bad......as far as I know rain and Urine still fall down! But etiquette is really falling apart not just in your country....it's happening more and more in Canada too. Tough situation.

I was 38 miles from pavement last week following 2 companions with trailers on 2 track roads. Some puke tailgates me so close that I couldn't see his headlights. Nice.

That is correct, if you come to Mt then you can pick up a state lands permit-reqd for both residents and non residents which allows you to recreate on state lands as well as all Federal lands. So yeah these landowners are shutting everyone out of public lands. We as residents deal with it on a year round basis, it doesnt matter whether you are hunting,fishing,hiking, camping,horn hunting,rockhounding etc.. you are locked out of public ground.
I'm well aware of the corner hopping issue here, and some of these other situations. I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just not aware of these situations that are happening all over the state. Do you have a list of these areas that are being effected by wealthy people buying private land and blocking legal access to public land? I would like to know more about it.

Recent Posts