Disappearing bullets

bitbythebug

I just got three boxes of the new 180 ELD-Match bullets and was ladder testing them when they started not hitting the target. I'm talking not hitting a huge target at 100 yards. I would shoot strings of 4 shots at different lengths to see where the accurate "sweet spot" was. I shot my first string at 3.80 coal with 86 gr. of RL33 and CCI250 primers. Three were half-inch but the fourth went missing. Found it impossible to believe that one bullet went perfectly in another. Cooled the barrel and started the 3.79 string. Fired the first shot at the center of a 2' x 3' white board with 1" orange target sticky dots. Remember this is only 100 yards for chronographing and accuracy. Shoot the first shot and there is not a hole in the target beyond the earlier 4. I purposely shot at the center dot leaving at least 12" to the edge anywhere. Shoot the next two and they are 1/2" or less. Then I shoot # 4 and there is no visible hole again. I am averaging 3145fps. I did 4 strings and at least 1 shot went mia in each one. What in the crap is going on. I shoot the 175 ELD-X's at 3220fps and they always arrive where shot. The only thing I can figure is the bullet is disintegrating. Is this possible with this size of bullet? Is there something that I might be missing? Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon or maybe can help me understand what is happening? (Bartlein barrell 1/8 twist 27.5" before muzzle brake. Custom build on a old 700 action)

Can you remove the muzzle brake? If you can, remove it and drop a bullet through it. It's possible the gases from the muzzle is cutting into the brake, leaving a ragged edge that might be protruding into the path of the bullet. If the bullet drops through with no resistance, then that's good. If it gets hung up on the way through, you might have some metal in the way. I found this was the case with my muzzle brake, and a quick stroke or two with a chainsaw file cleared it up. No more problems.
Could be your brake is doing this with the first couple of shots cutting into the metal of the brake, then the last shot, there is enough metal to disturb the bullet's flight, but this bullet is "clearing the way" for the next couple of bullets until it builds up again.
Sounds farfetched, but if you drop a bullet through the brake and it goes through cleanly, then you have eliminated that as the cause of the problem.

Yes, bullets disintegrate especially if there is a flaw in the barrel or possibly the break. Scope the bore or use a tight patch to see if you can feel a flaw.

Good luck

Jerry

First thing you need to do is get some old rubber tire inner tube and stretch it lightly and fix it across the back of the target . This way any shots that go through the same hole are about 90% easier to see the two impacts on the rubber because it closes back over after the bullet passes through .
If there is no two shots in the one hole then bullet blow up or wild flyer is likely .
Bullet blow up is a combination of factors all working together usually not one single cause .

Even if the barrel looks perfect and you can't feel any burrs it can still be a factor in bullet blow up due to rifling shape , rifling depth , barrel length , bore tightness , bore surface finish , twist rate , barrel heating . They can all add together to negatively affect the passage of any unsuitable bullet .

Check all the mounting screws on the rifle system. Scope and action. Every time I have chased the phantom fliers thinking it was something complicated causing the problem, it has been a simple loose screw.

Clean the rifle completely. If you have been switching between different bullets using different alloy it can cause some bad problems.

Steve

Have someone stand behind you and watch the trace while you shoot. Bullets disintegrating may be visible as a blueish puff of smoke. Also shooting at individual dots (1 shot each) on a sheet of paper will elevate the problem of bullets through the same hole. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck

Jerry

Have someone stand behind you and watch the trace while you shoot. Bullets disintegrating may be visible as a blueish puff of smoke. Also shooting at individual dots (1 shot each) on a sheet of paper will elevate the problem of bullets through the same hole. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck

Jerry
That's going to be a tall order at 100yds. Really difficult to pick up any trace that close.

As for the OP's problem, yes bullets will occasionally disintegrate but rarely will you see it unless you're pushing insane velocities.

We first ran into it with some .17 Remington soft points back in the early seventies when my dad's buddy pushed them well beyond design limits. You'd see a little puff of smoke at about fifty yards when the lead separated from the jacket and another at about 75-100yds when the lead just vaporized.

My bet is that you're one holing a couple in each group.

The easiest way to find out is to shoot some three and four shot strings shooting one each at separate targets. If one of them is disappearing still then you have a problem and need to see what's going on.

Good idea. I went back to 175 ELD-X's and the gun is very accurate again. I, evidently, can't stabilize the 180's because I'm not pushing them that hard. I have a 27.5" Bartlein 1-8 so it seems nuts that I can't stabilize them but with the velocity difference between the 175 and 180's the long range benefit of the greater BC is neutralized.

Good idea. I went back to 175 ELD-X's and the gun is very accurate again. I, evidently, can't stabilize the 180's because I'm not pushing them that hard. I have a 27.5" Bartlein 1-8 so it seems nuts that I can't stabilize them but with the velocity difference between the 175 and 180's the long range benefit of the greater BC is neutralized.
You can always try pushing them a little faster. The higher the velocity the higher the RPM and the easier it is to stabilize the bullets.

Difference of a couple hundred feet per second will only make a difference in the stability factor of about .02. Not much.

Steve

Difference of a couple hundred feet per second will only make a difference in the stability factor of about .02. Not much.

Steve
Which if you're right on the edge might take you over the tipping point. According to the data available the bullets should already be stabilizing and it doesn't cost much to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.