Dirtbags steal deer head in Wy.

I guess I'll share my story. I was hunting a friends property and 4 doe popped into the field at about 300 yards. I picked the largest one and shot her, on impact she mule kicked and took off. I took up the blood trail and heard her thrashing in the leaves about 75 yards ahead and then I heard a shot and then another. I waited a few minutes and walked up to find my buddies neighbor standing next to the doe and told me how he shot her when she was trying to sneak behind a log. I told him that I shot it and the left front shoulder proved it but I didn't want to cause a rift so walked away. But to top it off he stopped by and told my buddy that I did hit it but that I hit it in the *ss! My buddy knew better.

Several years ago, my dad shot a B&C class whitetail in Nebraska. The whole time they hunted this farm they could see a couple of guys hunting out of a truck on the adjacent property. The afternoon he shot the deer the pair where on a hill above him overlooking the creek bottom on my dad's lease. The deer ran to the creek when shot and that's where he lost the blood. My dad figured the deer had to have made a right into the creek, so he looked that direction until dark. He came back the next morning at daylight and again the truck was up on the hill. When they saw him, they left never to be seen again. Dad made the left at the creek and within a very short distance found his gut pile. He talked to people including a local game warden but never found out who got it. He says from where those guys were, they saw the whole thing happen. He'll never get over it! He still brings is up, and somewhere a liar and a thief tells people the fabricated tale of his Nebraska giant!

Local cop goes on a moose hunt & gets a trophy quality 60"+ bull, comes home late in the night and sets the rack by his steps to his front door, his police car in the driveway .... In the morning the rack is gone .....

Palmer, Alaska , a great place to raise criminals
I used to live between there and Wasilla. Things have sure changed.

I guess I'll share my story. I was hunting a friends property and 4 doe popped into the field at about 300 yards. I picked the largest one and shot her, on impact she mule kicked and took off. I took up the blood trail and heard her thrashing in the leaves about 75 yards ahead and then I heard a shot and then another. I waited a few minutes and walked up to find my buddies neighbor standing next to the doe and told me how he shot her when she was trying to sneak behind a log. I told him that I shot it and the left front shoulder proved it but I didn't want to cause a rift so walked away. But to top it off he stopped by and told my buddy that I did hit it but that I hit it in the *ss! My buddy knew better.
🙄 Some people....
I have another story that happened in 1998 in Wyoming but I'll get to pizzed when I tell it..to this day... 🤬

Local cop goes on a moose hunt & gets a trophy quality 60"+ bull, comes home late in the night and sets the rack by his steps to his front door, his police car in the driveway .... In the morning the rack is gone .....

Palmer, Alaska , a great place to raise criminals
A buddy is a cop in Anchorage. Gangs, bloods , cripts, homicides. No different than any big city in lower 48.

My story:

I had just returned to CONUS after 3 years of Navy service at sea & PI/Vietnam. These guys I just met liked me & offered to take me on a hunting trip to the Book Cliffs in Utah in 1967. I had a .257 AI. Anyhow on the last day of the hunt I got a chance at a big mule deer. A nice 350-yard shot worked. After the hunt I sawed off the horns & shipped them back to my parents' house in Massachusetts. I arrived back there sometime later and started to work on my deer horns, but my mom insisted that I work on them outside on our patio. After a day of prep. work we left for some reason & when we returned the horns were missing. My dad was highly PO'd & we reported the theft to local LE with a photo. The officer who took the report asked if the deer was shot in Maine. Some 10 years later I was back in Massachusetts for my Dad's memorial service in 1977, I saw my deer horns mounted on the hood of a local plumber's truck. When I asked the plumber where his deer horns came from, he replied, Maine, "real big deer there". Big creepy lying thief back there.

Last edited:
My story:

I had just returned to CONUS after 3 years of Navy service at sea & PI/Vietnam. These guys I just met liked me & offered to take me on a hunting trip to the Book Cliffs in Utah. I had a .257 AI. Anyhow on the last day of the hunt I got a chance at a big mule deer. A nice 350-yard shot worked. After the hunt I sawed off the horns & shipped them back to my parents' house in Massachusetts. I arrived back there sometime later and started to work on my deer horns, but my mom insisted that I work on them outside on our patio. After a day of prep. work we left for some reason & when we returned the horns were missing. My dad was highly PO'd & we reported the theft to local LE with a photo. The officer who took the report asked if the deer was shot in Maine. Some 11 years later I was back in Massachusetts for my Dad's memorial service, I saw my deer horns mounted on the hood of a local plumber's truck. When I asked the plumber where his deer horns came from, he replied, Maine, "real big deer there". Big creepy lying thief back there.
What year was that ? It's a bonus point area now. I drew in 2004. Shot a nice buck. 2009 I won a roadless elk tag for Bookcliffs at Sportsman's Convention in Salt Lake, Ut.. A buddy, his brother and friend all had mules and lived in Moab, Ut.. we packed in for a week with 10 mules. It was a blast . Black bears all over. A thunderstorm that scared the craaaap out of me that's a story in itself. Shot a bull the morning we were going to leave. Haven't drawn Bookcliffs deer since . 3 year waiting period and 15 years 🙄

I, without really trying, have learned the secret to stopping trophy animal antler theft.…never shoot a trophy animal! It's worked amazingly well for me! 😉 memtb

I think its sad, hunters do this to other hunters
but honestly its not that un common
just think about it
there are many hunters are just BAD people, slobs, lacking morals or respect of others

just look at how many trespass, steal trail camera's, tree stands, do damage to other peoples property!
over my yrs I have caught a few hundred folks trespassing, had a good 30+ trail am's stolen or damaged and a good 25 or more tree stands stolen!
not to mention how many things on the farms I worked on and managed went missing
or how about, the dairy farms I was a part of, almost every few yrs someone would shoot a cow there??
99% of the time, never come forward to say they did so either, you'd just find it dead, or wounded back at the barn, if it could make it there!

add in poaching problems
and having a deer stolen, all the more so a trophy quality one

, it doesn;t shock me at all
I still don;t like it

but when laws are weak and following up on the punishments IF ever given,
criminals these days have more rights than the honest folks almost!

I WISH the person that stole this gets caught and fined a LOT, and even does a little jail time

Its nice to Wish, but odds are they won't and the people they tell also won't turn them in!
its a sad world anymore !!

O

If I find the individual or individuals, I won't be calling the police !!! Eye for and eye! I literally sat on the side of the hill and had a melt down!

I fully understand! Many years ago, I had someone hunt my spring bear bait site and actually made a shot but missed the bear.….he hit low cutting a path through the dirt at the bait can! A lot of time and physical effort goes into finding a good site and packing (backpacking) bait in for several weeks!

I quit bear hunting and was hunting other quarry! It's probably good that I didn't catch him coming back to try again! Still pieces me off when I think about it! 🤬 memtb