Dirtbags steal deer head in Wy.

Photo here you go:
B7EC7DF2-91C4-4C7A-B941-0A14412B0507.jpeg

I had the opposite experience. I shot a deer at the bottom of the mountain (my truck was parked at the top of the mountain). I gutted it, tagged it, and found an old logging trail, so I started to drag it up the mountain. I lost all my strength and will power when I was still a long way from the top. So, I left it lying in the middle of the trail, and trudged up the mountain to the truck with my rifle. I was hoping someone would steal the deer, because I knew that I would have trouble dragging it any farther. When I got to the truck, I put the rifle away, and had a nice lunch. After a while, I spoke with some other hunters, and mentioned that I left the deer down the mountain trail. They offered to help me, and when we went to where I had left it, it was still there. No one had stolen it. I guess there are a lot of honest hunters in the woods in my area.
Or they also knew the struggle it would be to get it out.

This one is for the books and absolutely true and priceless. I was one of the first International Bowhunter Instructors for NYS in the 70's. ALL bowhunters had to take the course REGARDLESS of your age or how long you bow hunted.

I was bow hunting with my Uncle and he shoots a doe but a little far back. Since we had snow, on public land, we waited only an hour because there were other hunters in area. We began tracking and it was obvious he hit an artery from continuous blood on snow. Not liver but arterial hit. As we followed she was falling down quite a bit. As we cleared a small rise, we saw her laying about 50 yds in open hard woods. "Fred Bear" was stalking her tip toeing ridiculously since she was dead. We yelled at him, this is our deer. He looked at us, sprinted same distance as us about 50 yds and shot her with 3 arrows. We obviously walked up and ask the normal question what the hello are you doing? He said you can't prove its your deer. We pointed out the blood trail, the fact she was dead, and we had bloodied arrow in quiver. Made no difference and after we looked at where he shot her, middle hindquarter, straight into back loins snd one in gut, we said since you messed this deer up so bad you can have her and walked away.

Life can be real interesting. So that following summer we had a mandatory bowhunter class at our club. Its a 2 day affair covering archery, safety, ethics and blood trailing. You prob guessed it didn't you?

As the course wound it way through first day, I noticed a guy that I couldn't put my finger on where I knew him. The funny part he mentioned to me several times he was quite sure he knew me but couldn't recall where. So in a break before ethics, he was in group where we were talking blood trailing from previous session. The more he talked, the voice became recognized. The "trap" was set!

Halfway through the session where we go over ethics scenarios, I broke from plan and my fellow instructors were looking at me with ????? So I started to discuss an ethics scenario exactly like my Uncles doe and when I got to where I mentioned another hunter was stalking the dead doe, I stopped and called on "my buddy". I asked him based on what we went over in the scenarios, what would he do? We did this in other scenarios so not out if ordinary.

He looked at me, recognition hit him like Mike Tyson! Redfaced beyond belief he got up and left the class and did not return. I suggested break so I could look for him to bring him back not to further embarrass but to talk through it, but he got in his truck and left. I was going to leave the scenario where I did with no intention of identifying him as that hunter. My instructors were like what the hello was that all about. They couldn't believe it nor believe he took off. Of course I changed the real ending to fit our teaching plan but ethics lesson delivered loud and clear. I bet he never does that again and no he did not show in another class I taught.
Classic ! Should of said priceless!

Last edited:
Boots, Your story is Really INCREDIBLE!!! As Hunters don't we have enough trouble with the ANTI HUNTERS who paint us all as a bunch of blood thirsty idiots, do we really need to prove them right by doing despicable things to each other. All Hunter safety courses should have a session in ethics. There should also be some consequences for anyone who steals some on else's game. All cell phones have cameras, that could help.

My wife once caught a massive walleye in northern Michigan. Didn't get accurate measurements in the middle of the night on the riverbank, but it was nearing the 3 foot mark. Obviously it caught the attention of other anglers, because the next day the entire cooler containing said walleye, a nice trout, and a mess of salmon was stolen from the back of the truck. I feel your pain. Dirtbags are everywhere.

I got a nice 10pt in Michigan right after opener. I thought I would move deer around for the other hunters in camp. No, they said. You have to stay in camp to guard your deer. If not, out of State guys will steel it and at home brag how they got it or sell it. So I sat in camp. I was prepared for a week but there was a warm trend so I packed the deer with ice and headed home.

I got a nice 10pt in Michigan right after opener. I thought I would move deer around for the other hunters in camp. No, they said. You have to stay in camp to guard your deer. If not, out of State guys will steel it and at home brag how they got it or sell it. So I sat in camp. I was prepared for a week but there was a warm trend so I packed the deer with ice and headed home.
This is true anywhere and I'm pretty sure that people from Michigan steal also and it's not just out of staters.

similar to this, I had a friend many years ago that had someone steal his bull elk head from his kill, while he and couple others were packing meat back to camp. My friend actually drove around to other camps in the area and located his bull head and since no one was around that camp, he took it back.

Thieves never cease to amaze me of what they'll steal and from where they'll steal it.
I bet he was sure glad to find it. Probably a good thing the person wasn't around. I couldn't imagine.

My dad had a doe stolen from him, he was hunting a steep ridge that had a road at the bottom. While sitting on a drive he shot a doe and it rolled all the way to the bottom about 200 yards below him. As he is waiting for the drive to finish he sees a brand new white Jeep Cherokee drive down the road, stop and back up to where his deer was. Then two guys jump out, run into the woods, grab the deer and throw it on top of the roof and drive away. My dad wanted to yell at them but he was laughing so hard at the morons smacking the hooves off the side of the car and driving away with blood running down the side and back that he couldn't.