Direct-mount rings vs. Piccatiny rail

CLeriger

Have a Bergara B14 and am thinking of going with direct mount rings vs a rail. Would I miss not having the ability to move scope fwd it backwards along a rail system?

This always seems to be my dilemma as well, if weight isn't an issue I go with rails. The last couple I bought were from mountain tactical for Tikkas and I think they are great for the money. The ability to perfectly position the scope and also being able to mount an anti cant level to the rail are why I go with rails.

Agree with Sockeye66. You have some additional flexibility with rails. If you know the scope and have a fair idea of how you want it mounted front-to-back, direct mounts might work and save some weight. But if you had that info, you wouldn't have asked. 🙂

Scope height and cheek weld will also be a consideration. I added a 20 MOA rail to my Sako and had to invest in a stock pad to get proper cheek weld with the taller optic.

Obviously, depending on your stock/rail/rings setup, this may not be an issue. Just something to keep in mind.

Looks like everyone is covering the pros and cons really well here, but let us know if you need help with either version. In general we find that a pic rail adds about 3 ounces to the build, though that is dependent on the rail's weight.

Thanks. Ever any issues with the cartridge ejecting with having the rail there versus using a direct mount?

I haven't had any issues, the rifles I have them on that actually bridge the action opening would be a Savage 111, Savage 12, and a Browning A-bolt. The Tikka's are a non issue as the ejection port is to the side.

I use a Game Reaper one-piece mount on a B-14 with a Vortex Viper. Works great.
IMG_0861.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.