Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock and Load progressive press

deerhunter61

Guys,

Can you guys give me the run down on these two presses. I'm doing my research and have to this point narrowed the search to these. Can you please give me Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks,

Mel

I have a Dillon RL550, and have it set up mostly for handguns. I don't like loading rifle ammo on it, because I weigh every powder charge for my hunting loads. I use an RCBS Rockchucker (single stage press) to load my rifle ammo.
The Dillon will load a box of 50 rounds (again that is pistol), in about 5 minutes, taking your time. I have never had a problem with the Dillon, and have had it about 30 years. Back when I bought it, I was heavy into pistol competition, and loaded .38 spec on it. If I had to guess, over 30,000 rounds.
The Dillon presses are bullet proof, and have an unconditional life time guarantee, even if you bought it second hand. I did have one minor problem on the primer alarm (it buzzes when you get low on primers). The AAA battery leaked and corroded inside the battery compartment, and the alarm quit working. I called Dillon, and told them that I needed another Primer alarm and asked how much a new one would cost. They sent me a brand new one, for free. I asked if they wanted me to return the damaged one, they said no, pitch it in the trash. Their customer service is THE BEST. Even if you break something (by accident or on purpose), it will be replaced for free no matter whose fault it is.
There was an incident where a gun shop owner was held up inside the gun store (imagine that), and he got in a shootout with the perp. The perp shot at the owner, but missed and hit the Dillon press the owner had set up behind the counter. The bullet fired by the perp damaged the machine making it unusable, and Dillon sent the owner a new press for free, and allowed him to keep the damaged press as a display.
I am not familiar with the Hornady machine, but I can highly recommend the Dillon.

I have no experience with the Hornaday but I have used a 550 Dillon for years with no problems. Dillon service is great ! If you need help they are just a phone call away. I highly recommend Dillon products.

I load rifle on a Dillon 550 and i also use a RCBS RockChucker to load test rounds of the rifle, have made a mod to the rcbs using the hornady conversion kit
#044093 die bushing kit and #044099 allowing for quick change out of different die's without having to setup for each change.

I use the the 550 for all loading including for precision long range. I use it as a single stage for rifle. I love it and wouldn't consider anything else if I needed to purchase another.

I have had a dillon xl650 for about 12 years now and its unreal. I know its not the 550 but its so true about their customer service. I broke some things about 10 years after owning it and called for a new piece. They looked at my profile that I owned the 650 and they just sent the piece for free. I wanted to buy it cause it was my fault this item broke and they would not accept any money. They are the best in CS.

I have NO experience at all with Hornady products and I am sure they are great but dillon CS is they best. Highly recommend dillon when it comes to reloading.

But like another said I reload on my ancient rcbs single stage press all my rifle ammo and custom single shot TC encore pistols. But sometimes I do use my xl650 as a faster version of a single stage press to make custom loads.

Best of luck.

Brian

years ago a buddy bought a Hornady ,it worked good but was difficult to set up and change calibars.
I set up my Dillon with ease, can be reloading 204 or 223 and switch to 45acp in less than a minute. I have a Rockchucker for the 20ppc,10mm,454Casull, 7mag and 338Edge but the Dillon reloads a PILE of 9mm, 38/357, 45acp, 204, 223 ,22-250, 243, 6&6.5-284, 25-06 and 30-06.

I have owned the Dillon 550 for about 15 years and wouldn't own anything but dillon just because of the no b.s. warranty. I think it's a really great press an someday I will have the 650 .

Own a 550 and an Ammo Plant.

Dillon...hands down. Period. For all of reasons stated above.

Easier to change calibers.

No BS warranty (have used it once).

The Dillon WORKS!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.