Dilemma: 6.5 grendel AR or 6.5x55 bolt

N10sivern

I'm thinking about building either a 6.5 grendel AR upper or a 6.5x55 savage/stevens rifle build. Maybe both eventually, but for now I want to focus on one. It will be used for long range target shooting and hunting. I like the semiauto AR platform, but quality grendel barrels are hard to come by and usually associated with a long wait time. It would be easier to find parts to build the bolt rifle and brass is cheaper/more available for 6.5x55. Not to mention, I already reload for some swede rifles. Decisions decisions.

I'm thinking about building either a 6.5 grendel AR upper or a 6.5x55 savage/stevens rifle build. Maybe both eventually, but for now I want to focus on one. It will be used for long range target shooting and hunting. I like the semiauto AR platform, but quality grendel barrels are hard to come by and usually associated with a long wait time. It would be easier to find parts to build the bolt rifle and brass is cheaper/more available for 6.5x55. Not to mention, I already reload for some swede rifles. Decisions decisions.
Of course you can also have the best of both worlds and build an AR in .260 Rem.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-260-ar-79758/

3328d1319483388t-new-260-ar-img_0066.jpg

This was the first target I shot with it after an abbreviated break in.
3330d1319483388t-new-260-ar-img_0070.jpg

Twenty rounds in under 5 minutes.

Not bad, all tolled I have under 2k in it excluding the scope.

I did a summer make over on it so if I get time I'll post some updated pictures next week.

i personally preffer a bolt action but wildrose has a good point about a .260 in an ar platform.the savage build will be a lot less and you can have money left over for better glass.

i personally preffer a bolt action but wildrose has a good point about a .260 in an ar platform.the savage build will be a lot less and you can have money left over for better glass.
The nicest thing about the AR platform is that you can just put together different uppers for different applications/calibers and run them from the same lower.

I'm going to get another .260 upper put together soon in a shorter and lighter version of the above so I can have a more practical "quick out of the truck varmint gun", and I also have an SASS upper in .308 that I can stick on anytime I feel the need for a little heavier bullets to buck the wind.

It's a little more expensive route than buying off the rack bolt guns but the versatility is extra nice to have.

I personally haven't fallen in love with the ar10 platform yet. I actually decided today I'm gonna build a bolt rifle. Stainless savage action, stainless 28" bull barrel 6.5x55. Should be a nice shooter

I asked this question a few months ago here, and on a few other boards. The Swede, if you reload, will be better. If you don't reload, then the price of ammo, and the price of the gun will be the main points. They seem to be about the same price for shooting ammo, and the buy in favors the Swede. Grendel uppers from AA are $700 up used. Found a Cyber Monday Overwatch upper from $750 at JSEsurplus.

I reload so ammo would not be an issue. I decided I wanted to try some competitions for the heck of it so that's why I'm going with the swede. I will either build a 6.5 grendel later or a 24" 223

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.