DigitalHunter Video

CS T

Official LRH Sponsor
DigitalHunter Video:

Just finished a video on the Elcan DigitalHunter:

Click Here To See Elcan DigitalHunter Video

Elcan_DigitalHun_4b70bf7ab2997.jpg

Mike...also, are all the new Vortex PST scopes going to have illuminated reticles. They look like they have them in all the pics, but I haven't seen where the specs call that out..please advise and Thanks 30-338

Mike...also, are all the new Vortex PST scopes going to have illuminated reticles. They look like they have them in all the pics, but I haven't seen where the specs call that out..please advise and Thanks 30-338

Yes they will be Illuminated.

Thanks Mike. You recommend "No" on competition....why exactly?...not robust enough or what??????? 30-339

The reason I say they are not made for competition is because the elevation adjustment are every 25yds, they are digital image (not like looking through glass), and there are parts that are not as robust as they should be for tactical competition shooting. I'm sure for some competition shooting they would work fine.

I see the ELCAN Digital Hunter being great for a hunter that wants to get his hunt on video I also see it being great training tool. Here are the reasons I say the Digital Hunter will be a great training tool it will allow the trainer to see how steady the shooter is behind the rifle, be able to see if the shooter anticipate the shot before the rifle goes off, see how fast the shooter gets back on target, will aide in teaching holdover for elevation and wind-age, and so on.

Mike @ CST

Last edited:
Sounds l like one could also use it and then later critique themselves in a situation where they weren't with a trainer.

I tried one of those or one like it out about 4+ years ago when it was in the testing stage. A friend of mine was sent one to critique and try out. At that time I thought it was a great idea but a bit too soon as the screen was not clear enough to make out the targets very well. Since then the pixel numbers have gone up tremendously and the screens on the digital camera's are quite good so I can't say much about this one. Plus I see that the soft ware has also improved with the different reticules you can input. Plus the magnification has gone up a bit. Other than that it looks about the same.
At that time we thought that in theory it was a great idea but in actual use it lacked a lot. We hunted coyotes all weekend and failed to connect with one. Finally ended up blowing up a rabbit at about 50 yds just to see what would happen and videoed it which should of been awesome but the screen wasn't clear enough to really get any of the red mist we should of seen. Really needed an upgrade in the screen and pixels bad.
Conclusion was it was a great idea but was not quite ready for prime time at that time. It would be fun to play with one of the new ones and just see how much it had improved. Not sure how it would handle the pounding of the big guns either for that matter.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm glad to hear they have improved since you used the older version. Surprised to hear about the accuracy though. Towards the end of the video we hit the "Turkey" steel at 440 yards using a holdover shot. Some of the water jugs and soda bottles were at 100 yards and some were at 220 yards. The "chicken" targets were at 220 yards too...
I would recommend (for all scopes) taking it out to the range first to familiarize yourself with it before going out on a hunt.

prc104 On CalGuns posted the following feedback:
The free reticle software from the Elcan website allows you to put logo's or other graphics in there also.

Elevation is set by pushbutton controls on top of the scope. or you can just design your own reticle with blips/cross hatches for different ranges if you don't want to count mildots or whatever.

On the video output to record, be kind of neat to try it with a video headset.

I've got (2) of them and they are pretty interesting. They eat batteries like crazy thought. Rechargeable Lithium Ion seems to work for about 4 hours at the range. So you need to carry extra's. But I can recharge them in the truck on my lunch break. The batteries are a ***** to take out, I always feel like I'm going to break something.

They seem to be built fairly well, the mount is a simple claw type mount but functional. They also come with a rubber eyepiece aka like the ones on the Romanian POSP scopes that act like a sun shield as your looking into a video screen. The screen is tough to see in direct sunlight so you have to use the rubber eyepiece to block out the external light.

Clarity is OK, it's like looking at the screen on your digital video camera while taking a picture. Not like looking through glass at all.

I guess I will have to post up some pics now...

Mike @ CST

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.