DIGITAL SLR's

Mr.Smith

I am looking at entering the world of dslr's but cannot decide which camera to purchase.

I have looked at the Nikon D3100 and also the Canon EOS 500D (which comes with two lens')

Is there anyone on here that could share their knowledge and guide me in the right direction of which on to purchase?

Thanks

Mr.Smith.

I am looking at entering the world of dslr's but cannot decide which camera to purchase.

I have looked at the Nikon D3100 and also the Canon EOS 500D (which comes with two lens')

Is there anyone on here that could share their knowledge and guide me in the right direction of which on to purchase?

Thanks

Mr.Smith.

I own three DSLR's, and a couple others. Thinking about buying a new camera myself, but it won't be another DSLR. Just for size reasons alone. Anything over 10mgp will do just fine for you, unless you blow photos up past 11x14. if your planning on adding a flash, you'd best check out the circutry inside the camera body. Most are pretty weak by design. Few camera shop folks know enough about what they are selling to be qualified, so keep that in mind.

I do not like Canon anything! Over priced, with sensors that still don't do a good job without Photoshop. And they are not without a problem here and there like the others. Internal circutry is weak, and a good external flash is hard on them. Colors often need a heavy rework in Photoshop. They do not do whites or blacks very well without a major redo.

Nikons are pretty good cameras. Still don't get all that great a B&W, and their reds and oranges tend to flare. If I were to buy one it'd be a DX series or the 5100. I like the tilt LCD screen for a live view. Their sensors are not the greatest, but not the worst as well. Their internal circuty is a little more robust than the Canon's but still marginal with a heavy duty flash that has a high trigger voltage

For good accurate color, I like the bigger Fujis built off the Nikon body. Nothing does black & white as well as Fuji. Their trigger voltage works well out to 115 volts (that's much heavier than the others). The difference between a Fiji and a Nikon is in their sensors and the electronics. Software is similar, and I suspect that Nikon bought the original software that Fuji used with their S3

Another very nice camera to look at is the Olympus Evolt. Well made, but has some of the same drawbacks that Canon and Nikon have. I personally like the 4/3 format, but that's up to the shooter. They do have tilt screens to aid in live view shooting off a tripod.

Another over looked one is the Samsung DSLR. They come with Schineder lenses! Absolutely the best glass you can buy! Leica and Ziess glass used by the others is a name only thing built on license. Schineder actually cuts the glass that Samsung uses. Wish they made Nikon lenses!
gary

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I'm still baffled as to which one to get though, been googling DSLR's all day...LOL

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I'm still baffled as to which one to get though, been googling DSLR's all day...LOL

here's a story for you. Most folks are not as good as they camera they are using (me too). My first digital camera was a small point and shoot Fuji that was rated at 4.0 MgPx. I shot several thousand pictures with it over the years till somebody stole it. I then started climbing the ladder into bigger and better things. On a trip out west with my then girl friend she sees an ad from Sony with a photo that is identical to one I gave her! We go back to the hotel and pull it up on the PC, and there it was! Exactly the same in their new DSLR ad. I sent them an email about it, and told them you could buy five of their DSLR's for the price of the camera that shot the picture! And that it was a 3.2 meg photo to boot! The photo was strait Jpeg, and shot directly into the setting sun. You just don't have to have a 20 meg anything to shoot good pictures! Ten meg will do 98% of us well.

One camera that captures my thoughts these days is the new Olympus PenF2. It's not a DSLR, but a point and shoot. But a very high quality one. I wish it were a range finder camera, but they chose not to. The size of the thing makes it very handy, and you can buy one for about $600 (they even have interchangable lenses). The only thing I've seen better for a camera in that class was a prototype Lieca that was a true range finder camera at four times the projected price tag. These cameras are small enough to put in your coat pocket, but are not toys.
gary

If you really want to get into photography get a dSLR. Stay away from point and shoots.

You'll need to learn how to run your camera manually, that is, learn what shutter speed, film speed, aperture are all about and how they effect exposure and creative choices. I recommend the book "Photography" by Barbara London.

Nikon vs Canon = Ford vs Chevy... they both get the job done. I have canon slr's and will stick to canon only because I have too much money in lenses to ever switch.

If I where to start over I'd probably go with a Pentax system... just think you get more for the money. Image quality is very good with most dSLR's regardless of what brand you end up choosing.

Last edited:
Right, the decision is made!

I have opted for the Canon EOS 500d, I have based this decision on two factors.

1. Budget
2. My own experience with DSLR's - The Canon deal gives me a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens kit.

I'm no expert photographer so I think, as a newbie, this would suffice.

People have said that Canon and Nikon are on the same par, so I doubt I can go wrong with either one. I expect that in 12 months I may know about 20% of the camera's ability.

Now for the big question....... Am I making a mistake?

Thanks for the info fella's.

Regards

Mr.Smith

Right, the decision is made!

I have opted for the Canon EOS 500d, I have based this decision on two factors.

1. Budget
2. My own experience with DSLR's - The Canon deal gives me a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens kit.

I'm no expert photographer so I think, as a newbie, this would suffice.

People have said that Canon and Nikon are on the same par, so I doubt I can go wrong with either one. I expect that in 12 months I may know about 20% of the camera's ability.

Now for the big question....... Am I making a mistake?

Thanks for the info fella's.

Regards

Mr.Smith

most of the better DSLR's are way beyond most users. I personally like the Nikon / Fuji system as I've stated before. I shoot a lot of B&W, so perfect whites and blacks are important for me. But if I was to start all over again it would be a DX series Nikon. I just like them! I've have a couple friends that use $10K Canons for nature photographry. Nice photos, but not really any better than a good $2K setup in my opinion. The one thing that Canons really do well is in sports where you need speed. They just cycle must faster than the others. Also I find that Canons work best when shot in RAW. In Jpeg I see no serious difference. I prefer Jpeg as I hate Photoshop (spend too much time on the PC as it is). Buy yourself a good tripod with a good head for it (I use a Monfretto head and tripod on my two sets). Also recommend buying an electronic shutter release (get it off Ebay as they're much cheaper). Buy the best tripod you can afford!
gary

Thanks for the reply and also for your advice, as I have said, it really is appreciated.

I will certainly look at the Monfretto tripods/heads.

Once again, thank you.

Regards
Mr.Smith

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.