Digital paint how to?

boomhand

Does Mcmillian do digital finishes on their stocks and if not is this a do it yourself type of project for someone who's never painted a stock? Do you need to prime the stock to the main color you want? (tan or green). What kind of paint and what comes first, painting or bedding?

Lots of stencils are used. It takes a lot of patience and a sharp exacto knife to cut them out. Getting the right material is also a tedious.

It isn't a simple first timers task. At least that's what I think. I've been messing with the airbrush, nozzles, and paints for awhile now but can't seem to settle on a pattern.

So far, I've figured that the stock would be painted with the largest area covering color (base). No stencil. Then a stencil covering the next largest area of color and so on until you get it the way you wish.

Google on duracoat for some good patterns.

Planning ahead is a real plus. Practice on the wife's fridge is also recommended before tackling something really valuable like your rifle.:D

I have a guy that screen prints T- shirts do mine they come out perfect but I have to do several to make it economical, My grandson is learning how to do screen printing so soon I will have him doing it for less.
Most places that do a lot of them use the transfer method where they have a film of plastic in hot water and the stock is drooped in and the film with the pattern shrinks around the stock, (thats a simplified version).

It is not that hard to do the painting. All I did was sand the stock to ruff it up a little. Took spray paint that I got from Wal-Mart, Krylon cammo paint in sand and green and a can of Wal-Mart brand flat black. While at the Wal-Mart go over to the sewing or craft section. Ask for the plastic mats that you do cross stitch with yarn on. This is your stencil, it is a mat that has about 1/8 inch squares. Paint the stock with about 3 coats of the sand paint and let it dry. Now hold the mat against the stock and give it a shot of black paint with a slashing motion. Move the mat and give another section a little slash. Do the whole stock like this. Now come back and fill in some of the open spots with the green paint. I did this two years ago to one rifle and the forearm of a TC Contender pistol and have hunted with them two years and the paint has not come off. It seems to be as tough as a regular finish on a wood stock. I would post you some pictures but I can't figure out how to do it.
I would do some practice on a cardboard box or something to get an idea of how you want to do your pattern.

Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle that I finished today with a digital pattern. This was done using DuraCoat and like the guy said, a lot of stencil and knife time. DuraCoat is much more expensive that a rattle can method, but it will last a whole lot longer than Krylon ever will. You do need to use an airbrush and/or a HVLP gun to get the DuraCoat onto the surface. When you paint something like this then you will go from lighter paint to darker paint. The base is the lightest color.

9c7a2fde.jpg

90ec58d1.jpg

Greg

Great job on the rifle, I have a Striker I need to finish but wasn't sure just how to do it. Looks like I have something to work with now. Thanks

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.