digital or not?

shootinfool

I was wondering how many of you are using the digital powder scales or are you guys sticking with the beam scales? If so what kind of digital scales do you use and how have they preformed when it comes to loading consistant, accurate rounds for long range hunting.

thanks for the info links ss7mm. shiredude, why do you have to re-zero and then recalibrate, is this a common thing with the lyman dps's. Have you checked with the beam scales to see how accurate they are? I don't want to fork out 300 bucks for something that is not going to give me accurate loads and I wanted some opinions on it from people that have actually used them.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster combo and am very pleased.

It is programmed just right and adjusts itself pretty much the first load to 222 Rem loads to 270 AM loads.

I've tested it from cold start up w/o calibration and its spot on.

I've left it on for days and the calibration has stayed spot on.

It weighs slightly different than my old Lyman Ohaus beamer but its consistently different. I use the beamer for nothing any more.

Also it throws 100 grains fast enough to be able to out do using a drop tube/powder thrower and a trickler by a bunch.

I went from a Lee ballence to a Lyman 500 grain ballance to a Lyman LE 1000 didgetal and I do like it alot. I calibrate it every 50 rounds and zero every 20 or so rounds. I would like to upgrade to a RCBS Chargemaster or a Pact some time when I have $300 to spend on it.

Shootinfool,
I don't think you'll be disapointed with the RCBS ChargeMaster. I recently(within last 3 weeks) got one and I love it!
I am a scale technician by trade. I've used RCBS 5-0-5 and 5-10 balance beams as well as a couple of high dollar electronic lab balances. Used a Denver DI-100 that had resolution out to .001 (1/1000th's) of a grain. Trust me, you don't need that kind of resolution for any shooting discipline! It took me hours to load with that scale. I'd set there and cut the powder kernels with a knife to get it right!
I have compared/bounced loads thrown by the ChargeMaster against some of the nicer digital lab balances that I now have and it is consistent and as accurate as you'll need. Those are the two qualities a scale must absolutely have.
Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

I just received a Cabela's XT-1500 (ordered it thru the link on LRH) Very impressive so far. I have a Pact that JECustom gave me, but it has to go back to Pact for the 2nd time for repair. The digitals are really fast for weight matching brass and bullets. I use an O'haus beam scale to check every 10th powder charge. It is the last word no matter how good the digitals are.

Get on line with Cabela's or Midway and look at what they have, and read the reviews on the different scales. Very informative. FYI, the XT-1500 was only $79.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.