Difficulty feeding 6.5 PRC rounds from Mag in Rem 700's

Tulsa Reiner

I bought a custom rifle in 6.5 PRC based on a 700 Rem action. Throughout load workup I only loaded directly into the chamber, one round at a time. Then while on a pronghorn hunt last month I found that the cartridges would not load from the magazine when it was the cartridge on the left side of the stack: the tip of the bullet jammed against the edge of the ramp leading to the chamber. (No the COAL of my rounds does not exceed SAAMI specs, and the rounds do fit down in the magazine box with ease.)
I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with the 6.5 PRC cartridge? Have you found a solution?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24d90.jpg

These are only guesses, but that is all that can be expected from the interdnet. #1 Adjust the lips on the top of the magazine box. #2 Lengthen the feed ramp. #3 Open the feed rails in the action. Feed issues are just guesses on the web. It takes hands on by an experienced gunsmith who is used to dealing with more than "drop-in" type builds. There's just no substitute for eyes on/hands on....

I would agree with Shortgrass that it's hard to do this over the web, and I would also speculate that the lips on the magazine box are sized for a smaller case diameter(ie30-06) and need to be opened up a bit. It's important to address the angle that the cartridge is oriented. This is controlled by opening the feed lips different amounts along the length of the magazine box(ususually, a bit more at the front). This will control the angle of the "top" cartridges position and alignment as the bolt pushes the cartridge into the chamber.

I had the same problem with one that I built. Ended up buying a wyatts 6,5 prc kit that has the box,spring and follower. Wyatts has a video on adjusting the way the spring fits in the follower if I remember correctly

I had the same problem with one that I built. Ended up buying a wyatts 6,5 prc kit that has the box,spring and follower. Wyatts has a video on adjusting the way the spring fits in the follower if I remember correctly
I was considering a Wyatts single stack mag.
Thanks to all for the education.
I am going to see what the gunsmith suggests.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts