Different Whitetail

I was told the reason it wouldn't be a cross is due to different time's of breeding season. That came from TPWD. I honestly think the same thing but we will see I guess

I still believe its a recessive gene in a whitetail. These are known anomalies that show up from time to time. It's not genetic, its just a whitetail that somehow missed the boat in their coloration. The melonistic color phase (if you would call it a phase) is more common than a deer like I believe yours is that's missing the brown gene. Melonistics are missing the white gene. Supposedly, it's not something that is passed down. It's just a rare "miss" in a single deer. Your deer looks exactly like the negative of the melonistic doe I killed years ago. Yours is just more stunning because it's missing the gene than colors the larger part of the body.

I still believe its a recessive gene in a whitetail. These are known anomalies that show up from time to time. It's not genetic, its just a whitetail that somehow missed the boat in their coloration. The melonistic color phase (if you would call it a phase) is more common than a deer like I believe yours is that's missing the brown gene. Melonistics are missing the white gene. Supposedly, it's not something that is passed down. It's just a rare "miss" in a single deer. Your deer looks exactly like the negative of the melonistic doe I killed years ago. Yours is just more stunning because it's missing the gene than colors the larger part of the body.
Onion Creek in central Texas has a very common population of malonistic deer. They're real common all around Wimberly and clear out by Granite Shoals as well. They're not rare at all around there. They sure are pretty but nearly un-huntable because they live in highly populated areas and the left nuts love to feed their "pet" deer.

I was told the reason it wouldn't be a cross is due to different time's of breeding season. That came from TPWD. I honestly think the same thing but we will see I guess
Fallow will breed nearly any time. They have a rut cycle that runs for four months, some will breed starting in October,. Others will start in Feb, March. Just depends on the herd. Axis have a totally opposite breeding season as well as most Red Stag in the U.S.. I'm not sure why whitetail and fallow don't cross breed more often. I know some high fence ranches that have had a population of both for over 50 years that have never seen a cross breed. Exotics are strange in a lot of ways. There was one ranch that had some mouflon but there was one big bruiser of a ram that hung out with some whitetail does. He must've ran them like a harem because I never saw any of those does with a fawn. He was a beauty too.

Fallow will breed nearly any time. They have a rut cycle that runs for four months, some will breed starting in October,. Others will start in Feb, March. Just depends on the herd. Axis have a totally opposite breeding season as well as most Red Stag in the U.S.. I'm not sure why whitetail and fallow don't cross breed more often. I know some high fence ranches that have had a population of both for over 50 years that have never seen a cross breed. Exotics are strange in a lot of ways. There was one ranch that had some mouflon but there was one big bruiser of a ram that hung out with some whitetail does. He must've ran them like a harem because I never saw any of those does with a fawn. He was a beauty too.
He must have been their pimp. Moufions might like the local females. :D

Thank you for your input. It dressed at 80 lbs. Pretty normal for a doe in the Texas Hill Country. Btw I've had pictures of her for 4 years and she looks nothing different now then she did then. First time ever seen besides trail camera. So before judging you should consider maybe everyone isn't a trigger happy psycho. Btw hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year

I did, thank you!

Grow some thicker skin and quit the 'judge' whining.
I Included "to each his own"...that means, 'just another man's opinion.'

No one said anything about a you being a 'trigger happy psycho'. Those are your words alone. See the 'grow' comment above.

It's cool to encounter these animals and albinism is due to a recessive gene. To continue to see them they have to be passed on.

You haven't offered anything but judging which is "should have let it walk to breed" which you now know it had plenty of time!!! I see people get attacked all the time by people on this forum. So maybe you're not one of those but I'm heading it off at the pass. This has been a discussion to see if anyone else has seen anything like it before. Not should have let it walk or anything else.

Animals are animals....they carry all kinds of genes...the dominate gene at conception is the trait that will come thru....look at your kids...
If your kids are taller than the fathers family whose trait did they get..."the mailman or the neighbor".....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.