Different reloads for all lead-free bullets?

Mr. Steve when starting test loads , do you load to the L&G's or need a jump , what is your recommendation ? Thks F.K.
I never touch the lands with a hunting rifle. No good reason to. Had one stick in the lands with a primer failure years ago, and watched a very nice muley walk away.

If you can reach the lands, I start at .020" off. Not because it is some magic number, just seems like a good safe spot. If you need to jump more than that to fit the rifle mag it won't be a problem. The Hammer Bullets don't have any sensitivity to seating depth. I always try to start load development with the longest coal that "fits" the rifle so that if there is a rare occasion needing seating depth adjustment to get best accuracy, there is only one way to go. Seat deeper.

I never touch the lands with a hunting rifle. No good reason to. Had one stick in the lands with a primer failure years ago, and watched a very nice muley walk away.

If you can reach the lands, I start at .020" off. Not because it is some magic number, just seems like a good safe spot. If you need to jump more than that to fit the rifle mag it won't be a problem. The Hammer Bullets don't have any sensitivity to seating depth. I always try to start load development with the longest coal that "fits" the rifle so that if there is a rare occasion needing seating depth adjustment to get best accuracy, there is only one way to go. Seat deeper.
Please confirm RL-16.
I confirmed with him through a PM. RL16 is the correct powder. Steve stated that it has a burn rate similar to H4350 and to use that powder as a starting place from your reloading manual with similar weighted bullets. Also, if you didn't see above, that was with magnum primers if I am to understand it all correctly.

Yes rl16. You may do ok with rl23, but will likely run out of case space in the powders that are in the H1000 burn rate. rl16 has a nice case fill at about 98% with the 143g Hammer Hunter.

Thank you. Without consulting my burn rate chart I suspected a similarly with 4350.
Is it correct you are using a parabolic design similar to the ULD?

I agree with all of the good things that have been said about Hammer bullets, including their jump insensitivity, and frequently better velocity. I'm using them in four cartridges currently.

On monolithics more generally (I have used several), do keep in mind that they are not all the same (as this discussion has made clear). Barnes recommends that you seat 0.05" off the lands (see their "loading guidelines" online), and as a general rule for most monolithics I would bias toward jump in this range or more. Hammer bullets are an exception and I seat them closer. I would never recommend seating any monolithic into the lands (but particularly non-Hammers). They are harder than lead core and seating them into the lands can produce a pressure spike.

Thank you Sir .

Thank you. Without consulting my burn rate chart I suspected a similarly with 4350.
Is it correct you are using a parabolic design similar to the ULD?
The patented PDR relates to the drive bands on the baring surface. There is no flat spots anywhere intil you get to the conventional boat tail.

Thank you. I wasn't insinuating anything untoward, just hoping to understand the design. The recommended twist rates are high. I'm at 3500' with altitude density numbers considerably higher in the warmer months. I assume a a 1:9 twist/.284" will do better than predicted at a standard atmosphere.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts