Different reloads for all lead-free bullets?

SavageHunter11

When reloading, is there different load data for solid copper bullet like the Barnes TSX or a Hornady GMX verses a standard copper jacketed bullet? I could have sworn I once read that you can't load a lead-free bullet with the same charge as a regular bullet but now I can't find any information that confirms or denies this.

Yes, different load data for every bullet.

All copper bullets often have a longer bearing surface and much more engraving forces that will often increase pressures thus reducing max load and speed-- this is 1 reason that driving bands are added, to reduce the pressures and copper fouling.

But not all monolithic bullets are created equal, while both barnes copper, nosler e-tip. And hornady guilding metal gmx bullets have shown higher pressures in my rifles, I have been able to load up to max load data for like weight lead core bullets for hammer hunter bullets and I get faster speeds than like weight lead core bullets
Start low and work up, check both powder and bullet load data

Yes, different load data for every bullet.

All copper bullets often have a longer bearing surface and much more engraving forces that will often increase pressures thus reducing max load and speed-- this is 1 reason that driving bands are added, to reduce the pressures and copper fouling.

But not all monolithic bullets are created equal, while both barnes copper, nosler e-tip. And hornady guilding metal gmx bullets have shown higher pressures in my rifles, I have been able to load up to max load data for like weight lead core bullets for hammer hunter bullets and I get faster speeds than like weight lead core bullets
Start low and work up, check both powder and bullet load data

I am starting to hear more and more about these Hammer bullets. Do you like them?

I used my ballistics app to compare the the 145gr Barnes LRX (G1: 0.486) vs the 143gr Hammer Hunter (G7: 0.253) and they are just about identical ballistically as can be. The Hammer gets a 0.1MIL (0.34MOA) advantage in drop at 450 yards and then a 0.2MIL (0.69MOA) advantage at 900 yards and a 0.1MIL advantage in windage with a 10mph wind at 750 yards.

I am starting to hear more and more about these Hammer bullets. Do you like them?

I used my ballistics app to compare the the 145gr Barnes LRX (G1: 0.486) vs the 143gr Hammer Hunter (G7: 0.253) and they are just about identical ballistically as can be. The Hammer gets a 0.1MIL (0.34MOA) advantage in drop at 450 yards and then a 0.2MIL (0.69MOA) advantage at 900 yards and a 0.1MIL advantage in windage with a 10mph wind at 750 yards.
You will more than likely see a vel advantage with the 143g Hammer Hunter as well. Also a softer copper alloy that aids in terminal performance. Our PDR radius drive band construction creates significantly less pressure and a very forgiving design when it comes to finding accuracy.

You will more than likely see a vel advantage with the 143g Hammer Hunter as well. Also a softer copper alloy that aids in terminal performance. Our PDR radius drive band construction creates significantly less pressure and a very forgiving design when it comes to finding accuracy.
How big of game do you guys rate these bullets for? I'm definitely interested in ordering a box of a 100 to try them out in my 280A.I.

Hammer hunter bullets are exceptional

I get faster velocities usually and exceptional accuracy in less than 20 round work up
I cant find anything I dont like about them. And customer service is A+++

Last edited:
How big of game do you guys rate these bullets for? I'm definitely interested in ordering a box of a 100 to try them out in my 280A.I.
Just got a call from a customer who took a cow elk at just under 900y with the 143g Hammer Hunter from his 28N. Shot the cow quartered to him through the point of the shoulder and exiting the far side just behind the rib cage. Cow took 2 steps and dropped. He said the bullet created the same damage as the cow he shot at 200y. Then his buddy used his rifle to take a 330 class bull at just over 500y pure broadside lung shot. Bull took a few steps and fell over before he could get another shell chambered.

We run this bullet in our 280ai's at about 3200fps, depending on barrel length. This will be good medicine to about 800y for elk.

You should typically see 50-100 fps increase in vel compared to conventional lead core bullets of like weight. Definitely an increase in vel over non-drive band mono bullets. Recommend magnum primers to give quicker ignition with the lower engraving pressure.

Just got a call from a customer who took a cow elk at just under 900y with the 143g Hammer Hunter from his 28N. Shot the cow quartered to him through the point of the shoulder and exiting the far side just behind the rib cage. Cow took 2 steps and dropped. He said the bullet created the same damage as the cow he shot at 200y. Then his buddy used his rifle to take a 330 class bull at just over 500y pure broadside lung shot. Bull took a few steps and fell over before he could get another shell chambered.

We run this bullet in our 280ai's at about 3200fps, depending on barrel length. This will be good medicine to about 800y for elk.

You should typically see 50-100 fps increase in vel compared to conventional lead core bullets of like weight. Definitely an increase in vel over non-drive band mono bullets. Recommend magnum primers to give quicker ignition with the lower engraving pressure.
It's a long shot but since you suggested magnum primers I'll ask. Do you guys have any load data on a 280 Ackley with magnum primers so I can get an idea of a starting load, or just follow a reloading manual?

Barnes #4 reloading book , or they have a number of load data for all their bullets on line ALWAYS start low with monolithic bullets I dont care who the maker is . JMHO
I just picked up that manual last night at my local Scheels due to Barnes having a larger selection of monolithic bullets than most.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.