Different Elevation Locations CDS Turrets

kimberyote

I have a VX3 3.5-10x40mm Leupy that I am ready to order CDS turrets for my 7 Rem Mag. 168 berger and 100 sierra. I live in Illinois. I need the turrets calibrated for where I will be hunting @ 6000-8000 feet.
What will guarantee me the correct calibration of said turrets with velocity info from 550 foot elevation here in IL?
Thanks in Advance!

I have a VX3 3.5-10x40mm Leupy that I am ready to order CDS turrets for my 7 Rem Mag. 168 berger and 100 sierra. I live in Illinois. I need the turrets calibrated for where I will be hunting @ 6000-8000 feet.
What will guarantee me the correct calibration of said turrets with velocity info from 550 foot elevation here in IL?
Thanks in Advance!

You might try using a ballistic calculator. Like the one on this site.

I have several ballistics programs. I guess my real question is what is the difference from what the programs say and what real world results are? Just trust Leupold? Some of their employees I talk to seem very young, inexperienced in a way that seems like their job was mowing grass a week earlier. Not all. Some seem like grizzled veterans. Just that the younger ones make me nervous.
How much percentage of accuracy would be improved if I just shot @ different ranges @ 6000 foot level and recording the data as opposed to just going off of a program?
Thanks.

Other than shooting at 6000-8000 to validate your turrets there is nothing that will "guarantee me the correct calibration".

It will depend greatly on your validating your calibrations your current location, very accurately. Not just the velocity, but atmosphere conditions also.

Have you done any trajectory validation yet? If not, that needs to be done.

The ballistic program, of your choice, should do a great job of conversion of your data. As always, the more accurate your data, the more accurate your turrets will be.

I would definatly plan to re-zero at the hunting location. What distance is your comfort zone to put all shots in a paper plate?

Jeff

Along w/velocity, have been recording pressure and humidity.
Am I missing anything else? Is 50,100,200 yards enough here in Illinois or should I go further?

Temperature comes to mind. It is suggested that you shoot to 70-75% of the distance that you would like the turret to be accurate to. You might try watching this video: Vortex Optics - LRBC Range Day - Trajectory Validation: Part 1

and the 2nd part of that video: Vortex Optics - LRBC Range Day - Trajectory Validation: Part 2

Thx everyone! I talked to leupold today and told them my elevation in colorado with temp and bc/velocity. Considered 100 yard zero, but turret would stop @ 550yds. I went with 200 yd zero to reach out to aprox 650.
I tested this load out @ 600 yds & program was dead on. Temp was in the 60's.
I had scope turret @ 30 degrees.

That is where the CDS turrets work best. 600 yards and below. You can get away with more at shorter distances. Like altitude and temp being off. But at longer distances the errors stack up and turn into a problem. Like I said before, you can eliminate one error by checking and resetting your 100 yard zero at the intendd hunting altitude, if it needs it.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.