Different bullets for wind drift

Goobie270

I'm wondering if different bullets drift more or less or if there is a huge difference.

308 win

178 hornady hpbt
Sierra 175
Nosler 175

I'm wondering if different bullets drift more or less or if there is a huge difference.

308 win

178 hornady hpbt
Sierra 175
Nosler 175
All bullets @ 2700 fps
My atmospheric conditions
1000 yard 10 mph wind drift

Hornady 178 HPBT - 7.3 MOA
Sierra 175 HPBT - 8.2 MOA
Nosler Custom Comp 175 BTHP - 7.9 MOA

Things can change if you use say the 175 RDF, TMK, 178 eld-m, and so on. So yes, different bullets can and will change significantly depending upon B.C.

Also effected is retained velocity, energy, and bullet drop.

All numbers attained by use of Applied Ballistics app.

All bullets @ 2700 fps
My atmospheric conditions
1000 yard 10 mph wind drift

Hornady 178 HPBT - 7.3 MOA
Sierra 175 HPBT - 8.2 MOA
Nosler Custom Comp 175 BTHP - 7.9 MOA

Things can change if you use say the 175 RDF, TMK, 178 eld-m, and so on. So yes, different bullets can and will change significantly depending upon B.C.

Also effected is retained velocity, energy, and bullet drop.

All numbers attained by use of Applied Ballistics app.

Ok thanks, because I've always wondered if my hornady match 178 hpbt was more easily pushed around by wind.

Ok thanks, because I've always wondered if my hornady match 178 hpbt was more easily pushed around by wind.
Keep in mind, this is all based on the same velocity. If you haven't chronoed your loads, that can also change things. According to the ballistics, the Hornady should have the least wind drift if all bullets are starting at the same velocity.

Keep in mind, this is all based on the same velocity. If you haven't chronoed your loads, that can also change things. According to the ballistics, the Hornady should have the least wind drift if all bullets are starting at the same velocity.

I will, thank you for the help.

Some bullets are not pushed around by wind or can buck the wind better than others. The longer a bullet is in flight the more wind will affect it. So the better the bc of a bullet the less it slows down during flight and the less it will be moved from your aim point.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.