Differences Between Barrel Size And Threads

Ron J

Well I finally got my Stamps....Someone stated here that the background check for a stamp is as bad as the background check for a gun. In WA. after you get your stamp you still need to do the same background check as you do purchasing any weapon.

I purchased a suppressor for my .223/5.56 - 6.8spc. one suppressor for both. I've got an IWI Tavor not sure what generation it is since the sear package #680 does not fit, to wide. I've posted a picture of it below... sorry for all the rest, but I'm to lazy to take a picture of just the Tavor.... Anyone here know what generation it is? or how can I tell which Trigger package fits it??

Anyway, back to the subject..... I would like to take the suppressor (or rather the Muzzle Break "Blackout") off the 223 and put it on the Tavor.

I used my caliper on the barrels and found them to be different.

223/5.56 = 16.25
6.8spc = 18.25
Tavor = 14.95

Since I can thread my suppressor on both the 223, and the 6.8 even with the differences in the barrel width can I remove the blackout from the 223, and put it on the tavor..... or do the two muzzle brakes placed on the 223 and the 6.8 have different internal sizes? both have 51twists.... which would be another question....

Does the Tavor have 51 twists.

Tavor and family.....

2z5n4i0.jpg

Not really sure what 51 twists is

you're correct... I miss spoke the brakes I purchased are 1/2"X28 thread pitch. The suppressor' box reads 51T. I heard the salesman say you're looking for a Twist of 51. now is that 51 twists per inch??? I don't know.

Personally I don't think I was talking to the right salesman since he was looking for a brake specific to 5.56. When most of the breaks I noticed could be used for a range of weapons. I'm headed back there tomorrow to talk to the dude that sold me the other breaks and stamps plus the cans as well.

I guess I shouldn't have worried about insulting the dude and just asked him to get me someone else.... someone that knew what he was talking about. Hell, I think I knew more than he did, and what I know couldn't add enough gas in a motorcycle.... blah blah blah..... you know the rest.

Anyway, Thank You FEENIX

Last edited:
Witch ever way it works out, talk to a class III gun smith. The pitch of the threads can be critical for correct fit. I had three barrels threaded by a referred smith. In the end I sent all of them to TBAC who checked and retreaded them for me. They said I had class II threads on my barrels.

you're correct... I miss spoke the brakes I purchased are 1/2"X28 thread pitch. The suppressor' box reads 51T. I heard the salesman say you're looking for a Twist of 51. now is that 51 twists per inch??? I don't know.

Personally I don't think I was talking to the right salesman since he was looking for a brake specific to 5.56. When most of the breaks I noticed could be used for a range of weapons. I'm headed back there tomorrow to talk to the dude that sold me the other breaks and stamps plus the cans as well.

I guess I shouldn't have worried about insulting the dude and just asked him to get me someone else.... someone that knew what he was talking about. Hell, I think I knew more than he did, and what I know couldn't add enough gas in a motorcycle.... blah blah blah..... you know the rest.

Anyway, Thank You FEENIX

Just a WAG but you probably have an AAC muzzle device; BLACKOUT® 51T Flash Hider

Just a WAG but you probably have an AAC muzzle device; BLACKOUT® 51T Flash Hider

yep.... except it's a muzzle break.

I got a call today from the local dealers.... they had ordered the correct one for the Travor. Good bunch of guys down there.... they go the extra step to get things right.

And I thank all for getting me going the right direction.

Cheers,
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.