Difference between Nosler Accubond vs Nosler Accubond LR

how about on game? Id think ab are better built? BT blow up fast.
You'd be right. AB work better on game, I've never seen an accubond blow up. However the shape of them is close enough that they usually work for practicing without a change in accuracy or big change in POI. Might be a bit different poi but its usually very close when using same loads and only changing BT to swap to AB

Not 7mm, but 6.5mm. I run the 142gn ABLRs in my 6.5 SAUM at just over 3000fps muzzle velocity. Accuracy is rubbish seated to magazine length, but at 110 thou jump they came alive. Now regularly deliver 0.75MOA from a cold bore, 7lb (scoped) rifle at 200m.

They only lose 2 mils over 500m so nice and easy to use within reasonable distances.

Three animals taken so far, all three died quickly, two on the spot and the third ran 20m with a firehose of blood coming out of him. All photos are of the exit wound.

300m on the spot. Ran 20 and dropped.
P1000049.jpg
267m. DRT.
DSC00002_conflict_(0).jpg
320m. DRT.
DSC00004.jpg

I use the 130gn AB in my 6.5x47 and they are very accurate.

My son runs my old 340,i killed alot of elk with 225 partition.Loaded him some AB'S he had some tips bend break in mag from recoil and not feed,we hunt grizz areas.Going to try something else.

You will have KE to spare at 400 yards, trajectories will be nearly identical wind drift differential would be minimal. Especially considering the altitude most elk are taken at. I would trust the terminal performance of the standard accubond over the long range accubond.

inside 400 yards like you said, I would choose the Ab all day long over the LR version. In my limited experience with the LRAB, they are really soft. Designed to open down to 1300 fps. I have shot deer with the 6.5 mm version and had some not so great results under 400 yards. 53% weight retention on a deer without touching any bone and only about 15" of penetration. Another blew up and deflected out the brisket after hitting the shoulder socket. never made it to the vitals. Had to finish it with another bullet. Wasn't real impressed with that. But, if I intended on shooting beyond 600 or so, it would be a great option. Standard accubond 160 in a 7rm is a really good combo.

inside 400 yards like you said, I would choose the Ab all day long over the LR version. In my limited experience with the LRAB, they are really soft. Designed to open down to 1300 fps. I have shot deer with the 6.5 mm version and had some not so great results under 400 yards. 53% weight retention on a deer without touching any bone and only about 15" of penetration. Another blew up and deflected out the brisket after hitting the shoulder socket. never made it to the vitals. Had to finish it with another bullet. Wasn't real impressed with that. But, if I intended on shooting beyond 600 or so, it would be a great option. Standard accubond 160 in a 7rm is a really good combo.

This medium sized Fallow Buck taken in full rut mode, during an antler sparring fight with another buck.
DSC03724.JPG

Range 275m.
142gn Accubond LongRange
6.5 SAUM launch velocity of 3080fps, impact velocity estimate at 2637fps.

Bullet broke the nearside front leg just above the joint, punched through the ribcage, splintered the heart, took out a rib on the off side and then broke the offside leg at the bottom of the blade and disappeared into the shrubbery somewhere. Exit hole was 3x to 4x bullet dia. Stick your finger in there kind of hole.

He dropped on the spot, was dragged 5m by the opposing animal which was still sparring as he lay there dead. It only stopped when we came up the hill to dress this fellow out.

Rear legs, backstraps and eye fillets taken along with the head. Shoulders ruined and neck meat too strong in flavour.
This animal taken due to the genetic defect in the right antler which is visible in early velvet and on the ground.

The late March is just before the rut started in earnest, still rolling in fat from a great summer.
WGI_0312.JPG

Fallow are similar or slightly larger than typical Whitetail deer, slightly heavier build, but filling the same niche in Australian deer. Grey Kangaroos fill the true ecological niche, but deer are nicer to eat and harder to stalk.

What is better for hunting elk between 150 and 400 yards, accubond 160 grain vs accubond long range 168 grain? Shooting 7mm rem mag, thanks again!
IMHO,.. for THOSE Distances on Elk, go with, the 150 or, 160 grain, Nosler Partitions which ever, is most accurate, in YOUR Rifle !
Good Penetration and Expansion,.. use with,.. total, confidence !
A PROVEN Bullet !
The Regular AB would be, my 2nd choice.

Last edited:
I've shot several elk with both. Regular AB will pass though most of the time, smaller wound channel but killed every elk i shot with them in 1 shot.

LRAB's are softer, general front half of bullet will fragment and bonded core will stay together. I have never had one of these pass through. Bonded core has been under off side hide.

ABLR's are more finicky to get to shoot that the AB's

I would use either with confidence, but for what OP asked I think the regular AB would be the best choice for the given distances.
Read, the Top Line slowly, Folks,.. SMALL, "Wound Channel" ! That's been, MY experience, too and an Elk "walking around", AFTER being hit at, 60-70 Yards out of, a .270 WSM at, a muzzle Velocity of 3,140 FPS with, a 140 A B. ( "Boiler room", shot ).
My son had, "problem's" with, ELD- X's that, penetrated well at, 250 yards, but, ANOTHER, "Hard" Bullet, that was, a SLOW, "Killer" and a follow up shot, was needed ! WE are going to use, Bergers from now on and stay with, the "Boiler Room", shots !
The reg AB's are FINE for, high "Shoulder / Spine" shots as, they do penetrate, well !

Last edited: