Dieting for Mountain Training and weight loss

Cut out all added sugar and simple carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, etc.). Check the nutrition label on everything you buy. If a bread product, make sure it starts with Whole Wheat flour......not "enriched flour"

As a Medical Professional, I agree with most of these comments.

Sugar and carbohydrates have there place but it's not in a daily diet. They should be avoided unless being used as a supplement during times of high prolonged physical exertion.

Fat IS a better fuel than either sugar or carbs. Yes, I know. Fats are from the DEVIL!!

Fats do not spike your blood sugar the way sugar and carbs do. They provide longer lasting energy than do the other two.

Cutting out sugar and carbs along with a health diet and a good exercise program, that you commit to, will help you!

In the end, YOU have to make the decisions to change and commit to it every day!!!

Simply put, the motivation to loose weight or get in better shape needs to be personal. For me the need to be in shape for my hobbies is one side but the other is just trying to do my part so I'm around to see my kiddo grow old (Lord willing) and to be able to enjoy what's put on this earth to enjoy. You don't need to think of it as a sprint rather a marathon that last a lifetime. I've slipped and found myself overweight and out of shape before so I speak from experience. I am at my best when I'm physically active. I'm clearer in my mind and my enjoyment in the day to day is markedly better. Good luck and find that motivation!

Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?
Check out Dr.Ken D Berry. He talks about the Carnivore and Keto way of life. He calls the diet, the proper human diet/life style. Go to U Tube.
Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?

If I were you today start a Carnivore diet. The meat will give you all the vitamins and nutrients, to survive .No Carbs. which includes no breads ,fruit drinks fruit ,peanut butter the only veggies and you really don't need them wood be cauliflower, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli. No grains period. Eat all the eggs with bacon and cook the eggs in the bacon that you what . eat until your comfortably stuff. Eat all the fat off of steaks , chicken pork, etc.Save/ Freeze your left over bones, and cook boil them down to bone broth for your body. Very healthy.Eat all the liver and onions your heart desire. When cooking use real butter, lard, bacon grease or coconut oil. Never use vegatable oils, criso or any of the other garbage. And eating cheese which you can try to eat aged cheese like sharp cheddar. after finished eating try leave a minium of a four hour window before you eat again so you don't confuse you stomach acid on the digestive process. eat all the fish you'd like. Sardine's is super food like liver. salmon , shrimp, walley, perch.ect. Do not snack in between. no real nutrition in lettuce. You will get all fiber you need from the meat. Your stools will diffinitly change to quit not as often ,maybe days bescause your body doe's not have the waste to disposed of. Make sense?

As our metabolism slows things change and that accelerates as the years speed by. I learned that I can eat all the lean meat and fish I like (broiled, grilled, roasted) and all the vegetables I can. Just don't slather them in various dairy junk or sugar based slathering sauces. I'm 60 and hunt the central Rockies near my home every year. No, I don't climb as fast or far as I once did. But, my knowledge of the animals and their habitat has grown with time so I don't cover unproductive ground. One of life's positive trade offs with advancing years I suppose. As to exercise you know what needs to be done. Start slow build up. Make it a priority in your day. You time. Eventually when you can't exercise one day you'll find that you miss it. It's more in your head than your physique.

I've ran a keto diet starting with a 3 day fast. Then mix running (about 25km each week) with weights and jiu-jitsu and the pounds slide off. The biggest issue is lethargy when starting the diet but just push through the mental block. I try an stick to the healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, nuts) vs just adding bacon and cheese to everything.

I'm 64 years old. One day I asked my doctor who was older than me. I told him I had a Bear hunt coming up and ask him about losing some weigh. He said that's ez I can help you with that. I thought he had something new. Then he said use more calories that you eat and I swear you will loose weight. That will be $85 dollars!

Well, the guy is right, but there's a better way. When you trim the calories out of your diet, get rid of the starchy ones. If you cut out anything white ( except eggs ) and all sugar, and the weight will go away quickly. Soda pop and fruit juices are the absolute worst things to drink, as they all end up being stored as fat on your frame. Getting rid of those alone will make a HUGE difference. You will soon want to add an extra meal every day, but make it like the rest - high in protein, low in carbs, and the fat that comes with the protein portion will be the right amount for you. If you get all of your carbs from green vegetables and fruits ( only eat fruits that have a lot of fiber ) you will lose body fat at a rapid rate and feel very energetic. This will greatly improve your exercise, which will build muscle mass. As you build more muscle, you will burn body fat even faster. Your sleep will also improve, both in duration and in quality.

I have been using the PROTEIN POWER dietary program since the mid-90's, and I just listed the gist of it. It also normalizes your hormones, as well as your blood lipids, and it does this by keeping you blood sugar at normal levels. This is the same means by which it takes off the stored body fat. If you pick up a copy of the book, it will cost you a lot less than $85. You can read all the summaries at the end of each chapter in about a half an hour, and then read the rest at your leisure for more detail. This program has worked for everybody I have recommended it to over the years, and I'm still on the program. It's a permanent lifestyle change, not a diet. My only complaint is that I've gotten pretty skinny, but that's a lot better than being too fat. My energy level is such that on hunting trips, I can keep up with guys half my age, and I'm 66. Since I'm six inches shorter than everybody else, I'm also waking at the pace of men with a much longer stride. No problem. Since I'm running my body on rocket fuel, I can stay right with them.

This diet is very similar to what they used to prescribe to diabetics, and controlling blood sugar levels is the key. If you don't have excess blood sugar, you won't store fat. After a few days of this, your body will begin to burn stored fat, as it begins to recognize that it's not starving. You will find that being in fat-burning mode this gives you very high energy. (Fat is a richer fuel source than carbs for your body to run on - it has 9 calories per gram vs. only 4 for carbohydrates.) The improvement in sleep quality is probably responsible for part of the energy boost, but it's impossible to say how much. There are newer versions of this diet out there, and one of my buddies is doing the South Beach Diet. He has had the same results I have had. The one they've been advertising on TV get good reviews, and I think it's the same concept. You can check it out at GOLO.com. I have no experience with these two newer ones, but can wholeheartedly recommend PROTEIN POWER to you. Good luck, and I hope you knock down a bruiser of a bear.

I'm 64 years old. One day I asked my doctor who was older than me. I told him I had a Bear hunt coming up and ask him about losing some weigh. He said that's ez I can help you with that. I thought he had something new. Then he said use more calories that you eat and I swear you will loose weight. That will be $85 dollars!
Nothing more to say! That's it in a nutshell, now cardio is different...

stair stepper
stair stepper
stair stepper
stair stepper
stair stepper
stair stepper

And when you're finished with those ---- more stair stepper...

Agreed that it's super-boring for sure. Plays into the "mental" part that apply a to Sheep hunting staying on there. I cover my time up with a towel and try not to look at the time. But when you can go on there for that long, rest assured you'll be extremely ready for the mountains.